Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like 80 dont work either

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport

Looks like 80 dont work either

Caught a quick earful today of another fatality on the "killer highway"
    just before midday allegedly.

might pay to watch the news

on a brighter note, a policeman was involved in an accident in paraparaumu and broke his leg on his motorcycle after a collision with a car... bloody cage drivers the lady in the car was unhurt. police are investigating

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakamin

on a brighter note, a policeman was involved in an accident in paraparaumu and broke his leg on his motorcycle after a collision with a car... bloody cage drivers the lady in the car was unhurt. police are investigating
    Yeah like I said on Wkid's thread:

As for cage accidents, the killer highway claimed another life today. So remember its not the bike or cage to blame its the road as it always gets the blame, so go off-road that's the only really safe place eh! I am sure Motu would agree. Maybe this should open up the road versus dirt experience debate again. I am sure dirt experience helps immensely because you learn to ride without worrying about the bike moving about under you.

Also learning from bins on the dirt at a somewhat slower speed and with a less expensive and harder to break machine isn't a bad way to gain experience.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Maybe they'll realise 80 doesnt make any difference and put it back up to 100.
    cant wait to see how many people run into the cheese wire when it goes up

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I hear a truck was involved this time, but don't know who strayed over the centreline.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    ohhh shit.... bout time they built another way me thinks. (and I dont do that very often)
    it is alot of people trying to see the sea and the smooth road.... stick a few speed humps in... that'll wake them up

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

I just don't get it

Thats a rather nice piece of road (except for the bike getting sea spray on it). That road, in a cage, is more than safe at 100, in a bike, well I'd feel happy in EXCESS of 120. So I truly don't believe it's the speed. And as for people drifting over the centre line? There are centre lines in thousands of other places in NZ, so why is this a higher accident spot than others?

My best guess would be that it's slightly narrower than most SH's, and since it's closer to Wgtn, than say Auck, drivers from Auck or wherever, would be getting tired while passing through there. I think it would make a considerable difference if people DID actually take rest stops, and share driving if possible.

Of course, it may be a combination of tiredness, narrow road, impatientness and the bermuda triangle effect. Whatever it is, it is sad to see people killed so often. I think the "chicken wire" will almost certainly catch people out, but they may be the same people who were going to drift over the centre line, and head-on someone else. Hopefully the wire barrier will keep the mess to one side of the road. It of course does have it's own draw backs, which have already been discussed (restricted access of emergency vehicles for example), but I'd hope that if necessary, they'd use the Westpac Trust chopper for anything that serious.
    Last edited by StoneChucker; 4th October 2004 at 19:59. Reason: missing words :P

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    The problem is the bends! Do you know how far you travel while repling to the last text message? You can get right over the centerline before you realise there was a corner. Take out the bends - it'll make texting safer!
    (Or whatever it is they're doing instead of DRIVING! )

Bike
    people are terrified of that big, scary concrete wall!...and then there's "Oh look, we can see the ocean, and kapiti island. go over the other side so that wall isn't in the way"

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    *sigh* yet another one...

Time to get rid of that island - its just too damn distracting.

Go the Paekakariki Rd instead.

And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneChucker
    My best guess would be that it's slightly narrower than most SH's, and since it's closer to Wgtn, than say Auck, drivers from Auck or wherever, would be getting tired while passing through there. I think it would make a considerable difference if people DID actually take rest stops, and share driving if possible.

the road thru mererere is probably worse at the moment than the wellington road - windy, bumpy, no passing for 10km, 80k limit, and worse of all has high speed double lanes at each end of it. there are still plenty of crashes in that stretch, and there will be until the expressway is finished. there is nothing worse than coming off the expressway and being backed up behind 20 cars at 70km/h. i have seen some ridiculous impatience in my travels thru there recently. i have been travelling thru at 0400-0500am for the past 2 months, and it is so bad (bumpy and windy) that i find myself slowing 20-30k under my motorway cruising speed, or it's just too uncomfortable. oh and did i mention that it is often foggy (real waikato fog too) there?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    What a fantastic photo!
    The problem is NOT the roads, it's not the speed limits, the weather conditions, the safety of the vehicle or anything else. It's driver attitude. If drivers were properly educated, trained, and had the right attitude to driving, then there would be virtually no road deaths or injuries.
    THINK ABOUT IT....
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    What a fantastic photo!
    The problem is NOT the roads, it's not the speed limits, the weather conditions, the safety of the vehicle or anything else. It's driver attitude. If drivers were properly educated, trained, and had the right attitude to driving, then there would be virtually no road deaths or injuries.
    THINK ABOUT IT....
    All they have to do is stay on their own side of the road, its really not that hard to do.

Bike
    Nothing At the Moment
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwizrx
    The problem is the bends! Do you know how far you travel while repling to the last text message? You can get right over the centerline before you realise there was a corner. Take out the bends - it'll make texting safer!
    (Or whatever it is they're doing instead of DRIVING! )
    It IS comfortable for bikes to go thru it coz theres nothing different than any other normal road. As far as cages go though, you lose every radio station except something like newstalk ZB, so people are screwing round with their reception or cd collection or something like that...
    Every Day Is A Good Day With Two Scoops Of Raisins Peter
    ~Family Guy~

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6

Go the Paekakariki Rd instead.
    Only if you're riding a bike. dont need anymore cars up there. the cages can go along the killer highway

well pointed out DN! thats probably exactly what they're doing

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSF250V
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakamin

Killer road, my arse. Driver of high-end Subaru Legacy sedan crosses the road and hits a truck. Oh, sorry, according to the paper the car crossed the road.

Beware the killer cars! Beware the killer roads! Heaven forbid we suggest that people might like to pull their heads out of their arses and (a) not overtake unsafely and (b) not drive so fast they can't make corners on their own side of the road.
    Look, it's an itsy bitsy Bandit.

Thread Information