View Poll Results: Do you show an L plate when you ride?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 42.65%
  • No - give reasons!

39 57.35%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll for learners : L plate or na?

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850

Post Poll for learners : L plate or na?

Hey just a poll to see how many learners actually show an L plate or what.

If you don't, give your reasons, eg. more respect from other road users, feel safer going 100 on motorway...etc etc.

I've just got my licence and don't have an L plate but maybe will get one.

Rob.

Bike
    99 xr 250r honda, 1981 yamaha xj 750
    i never used one,mainly because of the 70kph restriction and i live out where the roads are all 100 so it really seemed alot safer. i also had to ride out of the time zone coz i left for work early. so i bought the plates the day befor my restricted and took em off the moment i passed.
    Luck is when oportunity and preparation meet

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Nope, never used them as it's all open roads here where 70 is too slow for the flow of traffic.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    You know, when I first started riding in Melbourne, Australia I put learner plates on but after a few rides I noticed the fucken screws on the learner plate is comming loose.

So being a handy man like myself, I gave it a good tightening with a screwdriver and off I went.

Soon enough, the next stop, I looked at the back and realised the plate flew off. Ever after that I decided not to get a new learner plate just because in Australia there's no silly regulations for learners in not being able to hit over 70 km.

I was never pulled over once or scared of getting caught at check points. Plus in a hypothetical sitaution where the most unfortunate occurs and get done for not having a L plate, I'd say "FUCK, did it fly off again, this is the 3rd one this month", and proceed to pull out some learner plates outta my rear seat comparment space.

There's nothing wrong in having a L plate and a month ago I noticed a guy on a Hornet with 2 plates, one in the front and the other attached in the front on top of his lights, fixed some how by his screen (that's commitment).

But then again I can't answer your question properly as I got my learners in Australia.

Bike
    2007 ZX6R
    Nah never did when on my learners. Work in the City and live in Papakura, so had to deal with the southern motorway every day. Not good if limited to 70.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    yes i ride with an L plate

riding outside license conditions = potential rejected insurace claims

its only 6 months, and i got 1 to go so it doesnt worry me much. plus it makes when i get my restricted to actually mean something i can look forward to

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
    I was never pulled over once or scared of getting caught at check points. Plus in a hypothetical sitaution where the most unfortunate occurs and get done for not having a L plate, I'd say "FUCK, did it fly off again, this is the 3rd one this month", and proceed to pull out some learner plates outta my rear seat comparment space.
    Damn, gonna have to remember that one.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    When it's $400 juicy pingers on the line for each licence breach (plus 25 demerits), it's worth sticking to your licence restrictions.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    I wore my L plate while I was learning because I didn't want the $400 fine and I did want to be insured. Easy.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Give reasons?
    ok...
    Shhhhh!!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2007 Hyosung GT250R
    I leave mine on because of two main reasons:

1. If I have an accident, it's just the thing the insurance company needs to reject my claim
    2. If I get pulled up there's a strong possibility of a $400 fine

That said, I don't keep to 70kmph on the open road simply because it's not safe. I've passed a couple of road-side cops while going 100kmph with my L plates on but none have come after me. Hopefully it'll stay this way for another few months until I get my restricted.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    When it's $400 juicy pingers on the line for each licence breach (plus 25 demerits), it's worth sticking to your licence restrictions.
    actually it's 50 demerit points

when i had my learners (got my full now) i had my l plate for the first 6 month until someone stole it

i spent the next 6 months without it, and was going to play the "must've flown off" card if i got pulled over. that way i still had my second plate to eventually sit the test in.

however i did mostly observe the 70 kph thing most of the time and kept off the motorway, but never needed to use it anyway, and i did get the old fxr up to 80-90kph around my place (open road) after about 6 months

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    I never put my L plate... (not even sure if they had them back then... ) not only that I was riding a 400.

Never got pinged... but i never did anything stupid either

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by karmakillernz View Post
    That said, I don't keep to 70kmph on the open road simply because it's not safe. I've passed a couple of road-side cops while going 100kmph with my L plates on but none have come after me. Hopefully it'll stay this way for another few months until I get my restricted.
    Cops seem to follow with this, unless you're breaking 110 or doing something silly in conjunction then they ignore it, hanne rode with l plate on all the time, as did i when i had it, never got pinged by any police, plus keeps the insurance worth paying (it is a license condition)

Bike
    WR250R
    Has anyone actually ever used the "Sorry officer, the L plate must have broken off" line?
    And does it work? Or do they just chuckle quietly to themselves while writing your ticket?

Thread Information