Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Following slow cars be a lesson for you all - a near miss...

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110

Following slow cars be a lesson for you all - a near miss...

Just a lesson for you all and me.

On Friday morning I had a near bin miss coming out of the St Johns roundabout which intersects St Johns Rd and College Rd.

Just as I left the roundabout there was a white KIA ahead of me. The KIA was slowing down very significantly and was traveling close to left hand side curb. So I thought the car was either gonna indicate left and pull to a stop or keep on going straight ahead.

The sensible thing to do in that situation was probably to wait it out a little longer and see what the driver was going to do next but as I was eager to get home, I started to swerve to the right and begin to over take and before I know it, the car turned right and smacks into me.

After that I swerved violently (as I lost my back due to the smack) onto the opposite road and managed to avoid the evil on coming curb by cutting through to a drive way on my right and coming to halt . All that time the only thing that I was telling myself ''oh shit, oh shit it's gonna drop, it's gonna drop but fuck, don't you fucken drop it", because just as I was about to come to a complete stop the bike started to lean and was about to drop, I flipping grabbed the handle bars and yanked it as hard as could to the right and saved it.

Jumped off my bike and assessed the damage, broken givi side pannier rack, dents in my left hand exhaust, left foot peg snapped clean off, bent brackets and a fucken sore leg. I was in a state of disbelief how I saved myself from binning but was glad I didn't come off any worse.

Had a chat to the senior driver, the first thing that came outta his mouth was "Are you alright?" and I replied "Yea I am fine, but I am not so sure about my bike" and showed him the my bike and he said with no hesitation "I will pay for the repairs". I asked him "you got insurance?", he ignored me so I carried on to grab his details and when I asked for his driver license he looked really disappointed and wished that I never asked him.

Cut this short, had a short yarn with him about what happened, the whole "sorry I didn't see you'' line came up and I said "look, you obviously didn't look before you turned''.

End of the day, he received a few deep marks on his right hand bumper and I didn't end up in the ground. Damage on my part was some what minor but was reasonable enough to teach me how to ride without a foot peg (frikkin hard I tell yeah). As for insurance companies, didn't bother, wasn't significant enough on my part and he gave me a few hundy to sort it out privately as he and I knew getting the insurance to cop out here was pointless.

The lesson learned and what I should have done instead?

*I should have stayed and waited. I wasn't thinking properly and made a error of judgment by over taking. The car infront gave no signals he was going to turn until the last minute, so cars that you encounter in situations like this, wait the fuck out!

*Don't fucken overtake/swerve to the right unless you're 100% sure the cage infront of ya isn't gonna do something out of the blue (this is very applicable in suburban areas). This means, he has clearly indicated. Be very very cautious at drivers that keep slowing down and speeding up infront of you, they are most likely, learning how to drive or looking for an address.

I have actually posted stuff on this shit, so on my part, this happening to me is just ironic. I am usually really good with these things and I am glad I learned this the hard way and vow never to over take until I am doubley sure.

Also don't be a smart ass like the guy I saw on Tamaki drive on Friday afternoon. He was wearing a grey/black alpine star textile jacket, black helmet, backpack? and riding a naked bike resembling a Bandit 650/1250. The dude was literally in and out, filtering through the rush hour traffic as if he owned it. Sure, I thought he looked pretty cool doing shit like that and glad he had the balls, but a one dumb car and you're it.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
    As for insurance companies, didn't bother, wasn't significant enough on my part and he gave me a few hundy to sort it out privately as he and I knew getting the insurance to cop out here was pointless.
    firstly, congratulations on getting a reasonable cager to knock you off, rather than the ones more concerned about their car than the rider who's still picking himself up (or rolling in agony, twitching, or not moving at all).

secondly, you'd better hope that "a few hundy" covers all the repairs or you'll wish you had waited till it was all paid for.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    ouch, sorry to hear... a few hund might buy you a givi pannier rack.. or you can get it welded up again

make sure you get someone to check your sub frame ... etc is all ok.

Glad to hear you / ur leg came away without much damage.

here is an interesting thought, should you have been closer to the car (instead to the far right of it) he might have seen you and also if he did hit you the speed wouldn't have been as great. He would have seen you in his mirrors, and if he did turn you can swerve around his back end...?
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    don't sweat it - you were right to ask for his details and licence .................. he may have been reasonable at the time and may well have STAYED reasonable when he'd had a change to think it over and discuss it with his mates

but you never can tell

by acting as you did, you've removed the element of chance

my 2c
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Blog Entries
    considering it was your fault, you haven't done too bad. take the $$ and run.

Bike
    Beat me to it Marty...

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Did I miss the bit where they made a properly executed and indicated right turn?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Bad luck, Dude. Hope you get your bike repairs sorted alright.

I've had a similar thing happen to me, only my bike (VFR750) suffered $6800 of damage and was written off. I was nearly written off, but thanks to very good gear with armour, I just suffered a lot of pain, lots of physio, and some remnant discomfort. Still, I'm a better weather barometer than I used to be...

Here's a simple tip: if you're in a situation like this, tootle the other driver (melodiously at first, then more vigorously. Or, if your horn's like mine, it's all "GET THE FARK OUTTA THE WAY!!!").
    It's just a way of saying, "Hey - I'm just behind you, and I'm not sure what you're doing!".
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Haha, well, it was the case who hit who. He turned and I ran straight in him or he smacked into me while I was on his right. The whole time I knew I played a major part in the "fault" department but nah, I stayed calm and didn't accept blame.

Either way, yea, I did something really stupid there and glad the driver was a reasonable chap and didn't look too much into the accident. I got some money and he probably ended up footing up with a bigger bill.

Well, as for the subframe, I don't think I suffered much but then again I don't really know what you mean. There was some minor frame warpage along the lower part of my bike, where my left exhaust sits and enough that my exhaust now sit lower and out of line with my right hand one.

Yea, on the other note, I need a fella here who can do a simple welding job.

Let me know if you guys know any body here who has a welder at home.

Cheers.

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Shucks glad you are ok. So that was what you were wanting to tell us. Well maybe it is time for a new bike. VFR800 might be what you after bro...
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Here's a simple tip: if you're in a situation like this, tootle the other driver (melodiously at first, then more vigorously. Or, if your horn's like mine, it's all "GET THE FARK OUTTA THE WAY!!!").
    It's just a way of saying, "Hey - I'm just behind you, and I'm not sure what you're doing!".
    Thanks. I am in the process of upgrading my horn from WarlockNZ.

Yea, you know, when I got the cash from him, I sorta thought I should have played dead or at least acted my leg broke and lie cold on the ground for a few mins. That would've scared him and he would've thrown a few more hundy.

OK enough with the jokes...

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    Shucks glad you are ok. So that was what you were wanting to tell us. Well maybe it is time for a new bike. VFR800 might be what you after bro...
    Yea?

Would you like to contribute?

Remember - Sharing is caring..

Bike
    Hornet
    The mighty Gsx lives another day! Glad that you managed to get a few bucks out of him and always good to have 'reminders' from fellow riders. I still reckon you should put that money towards one Yoshi pipe on the left side and leave the ride-side standard - that would be fucken hillarious! Spose a foot peg is priority though...

Bike
    Too many to count
    but if the other guy didn't have a licence it's automatically his fault

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    but if the other guy didn't have a licence it's automatically his fault
    not if he was parked up and u hit him :P
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Thread Information