Thread: Akitio - Owahanga

Bike
    74 COMMANDO/81GSX1100ex/650 Bros/GB400/

Smile Akitio - Owahanga

Hi Kiwibikers!

We are thinking of going up to Akitio/Owahanga at Labour weekend from Wellington for a bit of fishing. Is the road sealed from Akitio to Owahanga?

We understand the road from Pongaroa to Akitio is partly gravel. But we understand the road from Waione to Akitio is tarseal.

Anyone out there can clarify what is sealed and what isn't?

Jeff and Chrissie

Bike
    1998 RF900

the weekend just been

we did Palmy to Akitio via Pongaroa/Waione. The road to Akitio from Waione was a supurb ride and it is definately sealed all the way through. Sorry I can't help you on the other part of your planned route. I can however say enjoy, some great roads full of twisties out that way.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Coast Road from Pongaroa to Akitio is the one that is gravel whereas the Northern route over River Road (that's the one from Waione) is sealed the whole way.

Now I haven't been to Owahanga (about one of the only places we don't seem to have been to) and as Owahanga Road branches off of Coast Road, which isn't sealed, I can't imagine Owahanga Road is sealed either.

Take your trail bikes and you'll be right.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    According to the latest AA maps, the road between Akitio and Owahanga is definitely not sealed. We were out at Akitio via Waione on Sunday, and if you can fit in the Makuri Gorge Road along the way it's highly worthwhile. Had a chat to a couple of the locals at Akitio and they reckon the fishings pretty good despite heavy trawling along the coast. Have a great weekend.

Bike

Thumbs up

Thanks guys

What's this Merv, a road you haven't checked out!!!

Looks like we will be going via Waione. We are both taking road bikes and as you probably know from our past sorties I get a tad cranky when I find myself up some godforsaken gravel road on my road bike!

Chrissie

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    No its not sealed

I am not sure of distance that it is not sealed, but last time I was through there I would guess maybe 6 or 7km?

Cheers Scott

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    Indian Scout

Check out the cute Russian lass at the food caravan

I rode Gladstone-Masterton-Pongoroa-Akitio-Paihiatua and home yesterday.

The road from just north of Pongoroa (Waione) alongside the river to Akitio is awesome bike stuff. Possibly the best the wider Wairarapa region has to offer. Don't take the turn-off in Pongoroa unless you like gravel. And this ride is not for those with feeble tank ranges. Masterton to Akitio was 130km. Sometimes the garage at Pongoroa is open for petrol but other than that the nearest gas is probably Dannevirke or Paihiatua? Not a problem for the beemer but don't try this trip on Ducati Hypermotard.

Good hot food from the Rush-In caravan. If you are looking for a Russian bade then this lass has a cute arse and friendly personality..what more do you need? She cooks too. Here she is delivering my meal with a smile.

Pongoroa Rd over the hill to Paihitua is even better. That would make a great hill climb race event.
    These back roads demand respect though, take it easy if you can't see around the bend. Lots of farm vehicles, wondering stock, hell a stoat (ferret?) ran across the road in front of me, 5 minutes later it's bunny rabbits turn. Stone falls around blind hairpin corners. You get the idea.
    ignore 2003 date on picture. This was taken yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3600036.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	73079  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    So MD it didn't matter what the food tasted like huh, as long as its delivered with a smile? She wasn't at Akitio last time I was there, must be time for another ride up there and to do Owahanga Road so I can cross it off my list of roads I haven't done.

Have you done the Coast to Coast then because its a regular through Makuri Gorge from Pahiatua about every second year, and the Dannevirke route every other year. I've missed it the last couple of years for one reason or another but we'll have to get a good KB turnout this year I reckon - bring on the good weather.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike

Smile

Hi MD

Had a look at your piccy. Doesn't look like we will be able to fish off the beach there. We don't take surfcasters - too long for the bikes, just 8ft telescopic rods.

Can we get access to the Akitio river to fish somewhere near the mouth??

We are taking the road bikes next weekend via Waione to Akitio - we will take the Transalp up sometime and check out Pongoroa to Owahanga - might even beat Merv to it!

Jeff and Chrissie

Bike
    85 suzuki gsxr750
    Greetings MD. Masterton to Waipukarau {S.H.52} goes through Pongaroa. Petrol is available at Wimbledon just past Weber on the way to Waipuk.River road to Akitio is all seal. The Coast road to Akitio is half metal, seal stops just before the Aohanga turn-off. 10 or so km's metal to Aohanga. Now for the bad news, Aohanga is Maori land. Meaning NO! public access to the beach front. That said if you get access, Crayfish and paua off the rocks. No need to get wet.Either way happy riding

Bike
    Sold
    Is that a pic of Akitio?

I used to work out there when I first left school.(1954)

There wasn't a tree in sight and the only thing there was tonnes of fish.

The river used to be terrific for catching Kahwai!

All round the mouth and up to the bridge, first time I ever used a bait-caster there. John.

PS: There were no chicks for bloody miles then, not good for a testosterone filled 15 yr old wannabe!

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Is that a pic of Akitio?

I used to work out there when I first left school.(1954)

There wasn't a tree in sight and the only thing there was tonnes of fish.

The river used to be terrific for catching Kahwai!

All round the mouth and up to the bridge, first time I ever used a bait-caster there. John.

PS: There were no chicks for bloody miles then, not good for a testosterone filled 15 yr old wannabe!
    1954 !!! Of course there were no trees that far back, the continents were still busy splitting up.
    You pined for girl company. How times change. Now the cute Ruskie told me she pines for male company. She is moving to Wgtn to meet people. I told her she wont have trouble meeting boys in Wgtn for sex - not that I would know how easy it is to find a boy for sex that is. But if I did i would try Wgtn.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    1954 !!! Of course there were no trees that far back, the continents were still busy splitting up.
    You pined for girl company. How times change. Now the cute Ruskie told me she pines for male company. She is moving to Wgtn to meet people. I told her she wont have trouble meeting boys in Wgtn for sex - not that I would know how easy it is to find a boy for sex that is. But if I did i would try Wgtn.
    Hey everything still works, it is only my timing that is out of wack!

She could have had a steady trade at her food bar back then but it would have to have been her grandmother running it back then.

I was partial to a bit of granny in those days.

In fact I was probably just plane partial. (lol) Cheers John.

PS: Reluctantly suppresses the urge to mutter, the older I get, the better I was!

Bike

Smile

Of course there were no trees that far back, the continents were still busy splitting up.

Hi Old Rider

Actually the continents weren't splitting up then, me and Jeff were just turning up in the world about then!

Do you want me to give that cheeky MD a smack round the earhole for you?

Chrissie

PS: thanks for all your replies guys!

Thread Information