Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filming to commence in NZ on “World’s Fastest Indian”

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Filming to commence in NZ on “World’s Fastest Indian”

Filming is underway for what promises to be “Another exciting NZ film” said Acting Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Judith Tizard. "Film has become an increasingly important industry for New Zealand. As well as delivering important economic benefits, it provides a great forum for sharing our stories and heritage with the world."

Written and directed by New Zealander Roger Donaldson, The World's Fastest Indian will star Academy Award-winner, Anthony Hopkins as New Zealand motorcycle legend Burt Munro. Filming has begun at the site of Munro’s record-breaking motorcycle feat in Utah, and will soon move to New Zealand to complete an 11-week shoot.

Burt Munro came from Invercargill and in the 1960s set world speed records on an Indian motorbike.

The film is Roger Donaldson’s first in New Zealand since embarking on a successful 20-year career in Hollywood.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Cool - sounds like one to look out for!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to be a naysayer, but the premise does little for me, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins is going to be playing the lead when there are plenty of "Authentic Kiwis" who could carry the role with ease is a touch patronising, especially from a Kiwi director. It's a niche feel good movie that won't be a huge box office success, so why get a fat old bloke who will do a hybrid brit-aussie accent and call it a Kiwi accent to play one of the hard men of the NZ bike scene?? That would be like getting that gabbling munter Hugh Grant to play John Britten.

Hmmm?
    Last edited by James Deuce; 20th October 2004 at 08:18. Reason: Made a non-PC faux pas

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Sorry to be a naysayer, but the premise does little for me, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins is going to be playing the lead when there are plenty of "Authentic Kiwis" who could carry the role with ease is a touch patronising, especially from a Kiwi director.
    That's a very good point, and quite unpatriotic (on Donaldson's part, not yours). Perhaps he thought 'big naming' was necessary to provide a drawcard to what may be a film with potentially little universal appeal?
    Pity Bruno Lawrence isn't around still; I reckon he'd have been good in this role. But then again, there are plenty of other good Kiwi actors.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Nonsense. Anthony Hopkins is one of the finest thespians of our time. His inclusion will give the movie a better chance of achieving greatness, or at least watchability, than a lead played by any Kiwi actor I can think of off the top of my head; would anyone like to differ and suggest names that I may have missed?

IMHO, any talk of patriotism is twaddle. Why would paying a fat fee to a single New Zealand citizen instead of Mr Hopkins do anything in particular for the country?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    My point, and I do have one, is that this movie will not hit the great heights of moviedom due to it's niche nature. Why waste millions of dollars on Anthony Hopkins, when you could use anyone from a large list of aspiring actors and give them some exposure?

I had no idea Anthony Hopkins was a lesbian. Explains the overalls I suppose.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    My point, and I do have one, is that this movie will not hit the great heights of moviedom due to it's niche nature.
    I'm not sure that such a pre-judgement is valid. It also depends what you define as 'the great heights of moviedom'. Box-office ticket sales? By that standard, about half of my own favourite movies are flops.

Film was the single most important art form of the twentieth century; perhaps it will be so in the twenty-first, too. I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.
    - mikey

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    I'm not sure that such a pre-judgement is valid. It also depends what you define as 'the great heights of moviedom'. Box-office ticket sales? By that standard, about half of my own favourite movies are flops.

Film was the single most important art form of the twentieth century; perhaps it will be so in the twenty-first, too. I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.

Patriotism isn't at the heart of my point - they general rule that any movie that focuses on bikes will bomb hugely is almost a truism with only, maybe, 2 exceptions which were more about society and change than bikes.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Patriotism isn't at the heart of my point - they general rule that any movie that focuses on bikes will bomb hugely is almost a truism with only, maybe, 2 exceptions which were more about society and change than bikes.
    Fairy muff.

But there's no good reason for it. Perhaps someone will buck the trend. Motorcycles are, after all, a logical replacement for the hay-eating chargers ridden by the lone heroes of tales aforetime.

And, you must admit, Mr Hopkins' inclusion raises hopes of this particular flick rising above the likes of Torque.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.
    Like whales? Or giant gorillas?
    Surely a film about motorcycling is of at least as much worth as ones about some raw-fish-eating weirdo with an unhealthy obsession for jewellery? That one seemed to go down quite well, apparently.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Like whales? Or giant gorillas?
    You got it.

Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    That one seemed to go down quite well, apparently.
    The fissssssh, or the jewellery?
    - mikey

Bike
    82 midnight special 1000xv

Thumbs down YEP YEP YEP

Like Jim2 said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    must ride everyday

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ecce thoomp
    The fissssssh, or the jewellery?
    In the end / one way or another / in the final analysis / when it comes down to it / when you think about it / when all is said and done / to all intents and purposes, the whole kitten kaboodle.

Oops... did I inadvertantly let too much slip?

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Can I be a extra, like Pauls Holmes was in LOTR. I dont need makeup either.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

I wonder if the handsome mechanic who used to work on Mrs Munro's Simca will be shown,I know a guy who could do with the fame,he's a little older,but still just as handsome.Had a friend in earlier who spent some time with Burt in the 70s at the shed,said he was a bit hard case alright.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information