Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shove that up your XXXX State Insurance!

Bike
    Hornet

Shove that up your XXXX State Insurance!

It was time to renew my bike insurance, State Insurance decided to hike my annual premium from $272 to $385. Why? I'm not entirely sure as I've had no claims or LTSA naughteness to report. So I rang around (Kiwibike, Star & Swan).

Ended up switching to Swan for $278.35 Excess is cheaper than State at $250 and they cover you for selected track days too. Plus I get a 5% discount per bike for insuring both my bikes and they'll cover my supermoto (modified) KTM.

All is ok again!

You'd be mad not to have full insurance coverage at that price (76 cents a day).

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Yes I am with Swann too and they provide roadside assistants too dont forget 3 free tows a year and all the usual goodies. Piece of mind.
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    Bikeless @ Mo - Injured
    so they just decided to hike the price? ... thats a bit odd? ...

at least you went elsewhere n got a better deal aye...
    "World famous since ages ago"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    They quite possibly did not want to insure a motorcycle. Given that they are not dedicated motorcycle insurers, those insurers often don't want to insure them, and often only do it to tie up all a clients business.

Its a right headache for them when it comes to dealing with claims, they don't know how to handle bikes, etc (and I know of some that have got very good deals from those companies... like half the market value ) and this includes fixing and selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They quite possibly did not want to insure a motorcycle. Given that they are not dedicated motorcycle insurers, those insurers often don't want to insure them, and often only do it to tie up all a clients business.
    That is what happened to Squiggles... they suddenly agreed to insure his new bike when they realised that the vehicles and everything else insured for his whole family were at stake if they refused to give him cover.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

Bike
    2021 DR650SE
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSel View Post
    so they just decided to hike the price? ... thats a bit odd?
    They sucker you in with a low premium for the first few years and then they hike it a little, hoping that you can't be bothered with the strife of ringing round just to save a hundred bucks.

The girl I used to call and chat up every time my old insurance company sent me a renewal said that this was fairly common. She may have been lying, but after the second year I'd get a slightly hiked premium every year, and every year I'd call her and ask her what we she could do and, ta-da, I'd get a decent deal again.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstar View Post
    Ended up switching to Swan for $278.35 Excess is cheaper than State at $250 and they cover you for selected track days too. Plus I get a 5% discount per bike for insuring both my bikes and they'll cover my supermoto (modified) KTM.
    really? what does "selected" mean here?

my insurance is up for renewal soon

are you insured for other riders and for you riding other bikes (even if only 3rd party) too?

Bike
    Hornet
    The new offered policy from State was re-labelled something else though still basically a full coverage plan. It was difficult to decifer the quoted policy with all the jargon etc but it appeared I was now to receive fixed limits on legal expenses cover for defending a manslaughter charge, bodily injury liability, legal liability, key abnd lock replacement etc. Anyway, a bit of a smoke screen maybe and I suspect like other members said, I was probably offered a new member sign up deal with subsequent raised pricing on proceeding years.

"Selected track days" as I understood meant officially organised track days are covered like the Suzuki or honda days. You have to ring first apparently and check with Swann if the event you want to attend is covered by them.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm with swann via kiwibike.

I emailed beforehand, to let them know, double check I was insured for it, and all was sweet. I believe it was noted on my record, but that was it. They insure you for "rider training days" and such like, ie no racing, no timing, no grids etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Too many to count
    so, what about the track days like the one coming up on the 30th?

Bike
    2005 BMW K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'm with swann via kiwibike.
    I played about 3 insurance companies off against each other and kiwibike came up winning every time. They have special deals with other insurance places. Ones the person off the street can never meet!

it does pay to re check every year and play them off with each other!
    The bike is made to ride not polish!

Bike
    2005 Firestorm
    Blog Entries

put that in yer pipe and smoke it!

As someone who has been previously screwed over by State Insurance, this thread caught my eye.

Great to hear of another 'unhappy' customer voting with their feet. My experience was also that they hiked the fee every year - unfortunately the chick on the phone who was doing all the deals for you fellas was not eiclined to throw any of the honey my way (how rude - I have a sexy phone voice dammit!) where's the damn sisterhood when you need it?!

The short story is: Husband (then boyfriend of several years & YES I still married him after this) borrowed my baby and wrote it offf - but because I happened to be 'aware' of his colourful driving past (from alot younger and alot sillier days)when I leant it to him...they wouldn't cover ME (THEIR CUSTOMER). SO I ended up having to pay the bike loan off (with the proceeds made from the salvageable bits left ova) O BUT man was I so pleased when the stingy chick on phone told me I could get a rebate on the left over paid for insurance period and about how much they appreciated my car and other insurances business.

YEAH RIGHT! @ that point I voted with my feet!!!!!!

FACT:
    only 1 in 10 people will tell someone about an outfit that has given them Great service - However - 7 in 10 people will tell everyone they know about an outfit that has given them crap service!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE - THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

except maybe when I have to serve them that is )

Bike
    Suzuki AN125 Scooter, Honda scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by car View Post
    They sucker you in with a low premium for the first few years and then they hike it a little, hoping that you can't be bothered with the strife of ringing round just to save a hundred bucks.
    I'm with AA, Mostly they are Ok but they have done the same thing a few times. I ring up and pretend I a new customer, get a quote for same item, then ring back "how come I have just had a quote for $$ as a new customer but my renewal is $$$"
    They come with all sorts of reasons but have always played ball and reduced it.

Bike
    MOTARD
    i just had it with the AA and now they lost my 3 cars a bike house and contents and they didn't get my life insurance ...... really the chances of smashing up or losing all thoese wheels at onec are rather low and they stil insist on giving no group discount and try putting 20% price hike per year when i never clamed...

speak with ya feet as i am sure they think its just to much trubble for you to arrange new insurance
    Eagals may soar but weasals dont get sucked into jet engines

Bike
    Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    i just had it with the AA and now they lost my 3 cars a bike house and contents and they didn't get my life insurance ...... really the chances of smashing up or losing all thoese wheels at onec are rather low and they stil insist on giving no group discount and try putting 20% price hike per year when i never clamed...

speak with ya feet as i am sure they think its just to much trubble for you to arrange new insurance
    Speak with your feet yes, but lose that picture of the cop with the radar gun in your avatar, you're giving me Vietnam-styled flash backs

Thread Information