Thread: Running really rough and strong smell of fuel

Bike
    1994 Suzuki RF600R

Question Running really rough and strong smell of fuel

Hello,
    I have a 94' RF600R,I went out to the garage to fire my bike up,before that it had been sitting for roughly a week and topped off with 93 oct. fuel and 5 ounces of seafoam to clean the carbs up(which I hope that didn't screw anything up) .it started right up but then right after that it started to cut out real bad and pop through the exhaust,and a very strong smell of gas,so I shut it off went back out to the garage sometime later started it again did the same thing but then it came out of it and was running smooth and this has pretty much been the scenario for the last couple of days,also the guy I bought it from put a(Stage 1 Dyno jet kit in it) so he said and he seems to think that problem is with the the floats and needle valves and if such is the case and the bowls are loaded with fuel would it not be leaking and there be fuel on the ground? or if there is no place for the fuel to go in which case it is staying in the bowls and causing the above problems? I apologize for the long paragraph,this issue is really driving me nuts and any help would really be great.
    Thanks Dave.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the enter button a few times would help readability

Well the fuel could run into the engine, but if the fuel pump is off it shouldn't gravity through. To be sure take the tank off & check that the vacuum fuel tap is sealing (ie: with the hoses off it should not leak).

What the heck is Seafoam? Don't resort to the desperate end of the fix in a can market. These carbs aren't hard to get to or pull apart with a little care.

Far better to just pull the carbs & check they are clean esp under the float jets, sometimes a hair can cause issues.

Dynojet needles are generally a better shape but have come under some criticism for wearing the jets they run in, but this will cause other symptoms to those you describe.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GN250
    I would pull the plugs out to determine whether it is rich / lean burn. Once determined then on to the next elimination....If its rich then its flooding, many causes of that from crud in carbs to blocked jets. Process of deliberate elimination. You do not say at which point the jets were fitted / before or after the problem developed. Also was prob there before or after the foam added??

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I would pull the plugs out to determine whether it is rich / lean burn. . .
    not very reliable, could alter in the revrange, plug chops are only done at a certain condition if they are to be relied on.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    ....If its rich then its flooding, many causes of that from crud in carbs to blocked jets. . . .
    What? That's a blanket statement and a pretty poor one at that.

This isn't a Hillman Hunter he's trying to fix.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    None at present
    Where do you get Sea Foam engine cleaner from? I take it it's just the same as normal carb cleaners where you just pour it into the tank with the fuel?
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Thread Information