Thread: VFR800 6th gen muffler mod

Bike

VFR800 6th gen muffler mod

As a result of

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ne...eply&p=1405078

Here is what I did:

Basically from all the research I did for this mod, it seems that the easiest and best thing to do is remove the last baffle plate from the mufflers. i should draw a diagram to explain it clearly, but imagine there are 3 chambers in the muffler, so the exhaust goes from each of the headers, to the appropriate muffler, then hits a baffle and the only way past the baffle is thru a small pipe into the next chamber. From there it repeats this process, with the last baffle being the one you can see when you take off the shiny covers on the exhaust tips, i.e. the back of the muffler is the last plate and the exhaust has to hit that then go out the smaller pipes.

What i did is cut off the back of the muffler, thus we eliminate that last chamber. this makes the exhaust nice and throaty but not tooo loud, and apparently it doesn't change the exhaust characteristic too much from factory because we are not making big changes to the backpressure and flow and so on.

The other exhaust mods i have seen involves putting a long bit of pipe down the muffler and beating the crap out of the middle baffle until it breaks off......another one is to drill out that middle baffle. I didn't like the sound of either, then i came across this mod and decided it was the one for me as it is easy, cheap, requires no welding or even removal of the mufflers.

1. remove license plate and plate light, WOF holder etc.
    2. remove the exhaust rear mount bolts (one each side from inside under the pillion seat) - take care to support exhaust before this point (use a helper or some string to hold it up, you can see i used an old chair.)
    3. loosen the 2 bolts on the exhaust header pipe where the pipes go under the engine
    4. now you should be able to swing the exhaust down, it will be rotating down on the loosened joint from step 3. you might want to remove the rear mudguard, i just squeezed the exhaust past it as it is soft and flexible enough to do this. Also in the pix you can see i cut down the mudguard while i was at it.
    5. support exhaust in this position so that it doesn't strain the pipework.
    6. remove exhaust end caps and heatshields
    7. hacksaw or angle grind the ends off the exhaust - hacksaw is not actually that difficult you just need a couple of good blades.
    8. clean up the ends of the pipes - also in my research i read that there is no danger of metal filings going into the engine, as there is a catalytic converter and the other chambers of the muffler in the way, also the exhaust wants to blow any bits out. note that you might want to be careful about sticking your face behind the exhaust for the first few mins of running after doing the mod - you don't want metal filings being shot at your face!
    9. I actually painted the ends of the pipes black so they didn't look so obviously modded, but then the paint burned off and they got all black with soot after a few runs anyway.
    10. reassemble heatshields and endcaps. note that one of the 3 endcap mounts is now gone - we cut it off in step 7. but there are still 2 more, and the endcaps aren't exactly heavy or under strain. i read that some people epoxied on a nut or similar for the 3rd screw.
    11. swing exhaust back up and remount with the bolts under the seat, and tighten the middle pipe bolt from step 3.
    12. check to see which bits you have accidentally left off, swear a bit, go get a beer, then fix it!
    13. start her up and enjoy that V4 noise!

If you wanted to go further you could drill out the next baffle(s), or open the mufflers along a weld and and gut them then reweld.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 mufflers down and heatshields off.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	83935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 chop chop.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	683.3 KB 
ID:	83936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 cut off end-note endcap mounting.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	748.4 KB 
ID:	83937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 muffler done.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	743.6 KB 
ID:	83938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 reassembled-pipes not painted yet.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	83939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 all finished.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	749.6 KB 
ID:	83940  

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I had seen this mod (well close to it) on another forum - Let's get this bit straight................ You removed all the lovely shiny chrome heat sheilds from the sides and the back caps (where the exhaust fumes comeout). You then removed the end of the pipe then re-attached the chrome and end caps? You dont have any leakage out the ends and you dont have any problems with smokey tailight/indicators from the escaping fumes?

Hmmmmmm if this actually works, I better go and sharpen the angle-grinder!

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk View Post
    Yeah I had seen this mod (well close to it) on another forum - Let's get this bit straight................ You removed all the lovely shiny chrome heat sheilds from the sides and the back caps (where the exhaust fumes comeout). You then removed the end of the pipe then re-attached the chrome and end caps? You dont have any leakage out the ends and you dont have any problems with smokey tailight/indicators from the escaping fumes?

yup, exactly right. No leakage probs, no smoke marks on rear lenses. The chrome end caps don't seal at all on the ends, but the pipes look standard unless you get up close (and know what they should look like inside). I'd imagine that the fumes are moving with enough speed to get out past the back of the bike before they start rising...dunno but so far no probs!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allun View Post
    yup, exactly right. No leakage probs, no smoke marks on rear lenses.
    EXCELLENT! (Said in a Mr Burns accent)

How does it sound when it clicks into Vtec?

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    EXCELLENT! (Said in a Mr Burns accent)

How does it sound when it clicks into Vtec?

Just exactly like this:

"v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4CLICKVEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFUUKKKKINNFFFF FOOOOOOUUUUUUR!"

If you do yours, a real nice idea would be an audio recording of before and after for comparison purposes...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Have been doing a fair amount of swattin up on some VFR forums. Im so tempted to do the same mods as you have explained here but might have a go at doing some well-placed drilling first and see what sound comes out of it. Forum peeps reckon the drilling sounds 1/3 to 2/3 the sound of a complete gutting........... if the drill sounds bad or its enough, guess I will have to bite the bullet and do a full gut.

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    95' CBR900
    If you want to go down the drilling path, I have a set of long drill bits that you can borrow. I had them made up to fit down inside the stock exhaust on the '90 VFR750. So from looking at Allun's pictures, they should be long enough to reach your baffles.
    It worked alright, sounded better, but then I stuck a Zorst's tunable can on and it sounded waayyy better.
    vagrant

Bike
    HONDA 2004 VFR800
    Hmmm...VFR800-04 there has got to be a better way to grut them..leaving the stainless ends in place..Thinking may be from the inward side of the mufflers..Cutting the side out...and removing all the baffles with a dremal..making it more off a empty can....But then it needs to welded and polish..
    I like the stock shape and fitting...shields and all...but not the postie bike sound..putt putt
    There is not much on the market place that looks like the stock VFR mufflers ( Tri-Oval ) most are round and cheap looking...But sound good
    Well still thinking about them...Maybe this way or that.. yer gotta have a better sound...Back in the old days ( 1960 ) exhaust ends were screw on and removing the baffles was easy...Are will back to the drawing broad

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirambob View Post
    Hmmm...VFR800-04 there has got to be a better way to grut them..leaving the stainless ends in place..........
    Hey matey - do you mean you want to leave the welded muffler end caps on? why's that? You can't see them anyway, and it's a shiteload easier to do what I did than to cut into the side of the muffs and gut them...or do you mean the chrome end caps? Take another look at this pic:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...0&d=1201736602

This is the finished article, looks stock and retains the nice (IMHO) factory tail look, but releases quite a bit more sound without being stupidly loud (and attention getting from the lads in the disco light cars....)

Bike
    2002 VFR800 VTEC
    Well, i did this mod as well - i pulled the mufflers right off - it was just as easy after removing the rear body work (4 screws 4 allen bolts and 4 bolts).
    cut the ends off - put it all back together, and gee - it certainly is louder.
    i noticed also - once i cut the end cap off, that the baffle seems to be a cartridge, and looked like it wanted to slide out. of course i was in to much of a hurry and just pushed it back in the few millimeters it had come out and put everything back together, but i have a suspicion that if you cut the end cap off (at the welded seam) that you could 'gut' the muffler by just sliding out the cartridge. I might try this if i get the time or inclination some time (Ie remove my chrome end caps and give the baffle a yank). anyway if it's too loud, i can get me mate to weld the end caps back on
    cheers for the thread on this, it was really handy.
    cheers

Bike
    Honda VFR800

VFR 800 - Exhaust Partial Gut

I followed the instructions at the link (see below) instead which worked well for me. There are a few videos posted or referred to as well that give a good idea of the results...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=40885

Was a bit of a hassle using the dremel/rotary saw however this meant the end of the exhaust remained (mostly) intact.

Bike
    2006 VFR800

new owner

hi All thought i would give an update, I purchased the bike from al, had to weld the end caps back on as the rear of the bike was getting a little black, still sounds ok and you can now ride with out the need for ear plugs.

Also runs smoother low down with the increased back presure.

Thread Information