Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are bikes so expensive?

Bike
    91 R80GS

Why are bikes so expensive?

Looking on TRademe there are thousands of bikes for sale yet they are at unrealistic prices. How can a bike over 10 years old that sold for less than
    $20k still be worth over $10k?
    Look at the number of big tourers - exception Harleys. How many do you realistically see on the road? 1 in 10 - 20 bikes?
    The number of bikes coming in to NZ from Asia is phenomenal yet this doesn't seem to affect the prices of 2nd hand bikes. How many bikes do you see relisted month after month... I guess they are superfluous toys that people want to hang on to till they get a decent enough offer. If that doesn't happen what then?? Is every house in NZ going to be sold with a spare bike in the garage?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    so you are either broke or on a low wage
    H T F U
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    None at the moment
    The realistic value of a bike is what some dumbass is prepared to pay for it!...

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Looking on TRademe there are thousands of bikes for sale yet they are at unrealistic prices. How can a bike over 10 years old that sold for less than
    $20k still be worth over $10k?
    Look at the number of big tourers - exception Harleys. How many do you realistically see on the road? 1 in 10 - 20 bikes?
    The number of bikes coming in to NZ from Asia is phenomenal yet this doesn't seem to affect the prices of 2nd hand bikes. How many bikes do you see relisted month after month... I guess they are superfluous toys that people want to hang on to till they get a decent enough offer. If that doesn't happen what then?? Is every house in NZ going to be sold with a spare bike in the garage?
    Theres always somebody willing to pay stupid money for a bike. You just have to wait and they come eventually.

At the end of the day if you like a specific bike enough and have the passion then price is irrelevant. you pay what the market is selling them at.

Bikes are a treat, they are not something everybody can afford, like that of a fine italian supercar. That's what you are paying for, freedom has it's price.

Bike
    1999 RS250 Aprilia
    Mate the 250 market is a perfect example, on trade me there's....

2002 aprilia rs 250 for $12000

2006 honda hornet 250 for $8999

1998 honda cbr 250rr for $8000

Over priced doesnt quite seem to cut it some times.

Some bikes out there are just plain over priced, but i got mine at a good price and there lotsa realisticly priced bikes out there and plenty of bargins to be had, you just gota keep an eye out.

Good luck

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcupit69 View Post
    Mate the 250 market is a perfect example, on trade me there's....

2002 aprilia rs 250 for $12000

2006 honda hornet 250 for $8999

1998 honda cbr 250rr for $8000

Over priced doesnt quite seem to cut it some times.

Some bikes out there are just plain over priced, but i got mine at a good price and there lotsa realisticly priced bikes out there and plenty of bargins to be had, you just gota keep an eye out.

Good luck
    Yeah, except the Hornet ceased production i 1997 i believe. The CBR250RR ceased production in 1993 or 1994. I am quite certain it was 1993.

Bike
    Several
    In the Uk - new prices are higher but used prices are lower....

I ain't figured that out yet..... used prices here are definitely closer to the new price ... almost stupidly close.

Bike
    S1000RR
    But sometimes you can find a real bargain on Trademe so don't lose hope

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    In the Uk - new prices are higher but used prices are lower....

I ain't figured that out yet..... used prices here are definitely closer to the new price ... almost stupidly close.
    Thats because bikes in New Zealand are well cared for, only ridden to church on sundays, that church just happens to be in the Coromandel.

Bike
    None at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    Thats because bikes in New Zealand are well cared for, only ridden to church on sundays, that church just happens to be in the Coromandel.

A Long frikkin waqy to go to Church!

Bike
    91 R80GS
    No I'm not broke or on a low wage & don't regard bikes as a treat or anything like an italian sportscar. They are a mode of transport & as they are 1/4 the size of a car I still can't see why they don't depreciate as fast - Yes there are more cars but still a lot of bikes around for sale.

I'm not after a bargain as I think the bargain would be a fair price to begin with.

I can see why the 250 market is overinflated as that is a supply & demand issue but the rest of them?

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    as ive said in threads before if you want a market like the car market ,

Then thats fine but i dont as youll then be whining about how much money youve lost on the purchase .

Id guess thats why in the UK the prices drop off in a hurry

I know what you mean though ,I sold a ninja 750 about 10 years ago for $3300 today id have still got that

I sold my xt 400 for $800
    today id get $2000 in the conditon it was

Bike
    Bonneville 900 ST 2011
    Was chatting to a couple of young Danish tourists a few weeks ago. The guy asked if he could sit on the SV as that's as close as he'll ever get to owning one. I told him it was only ten grand and he nearly wept. Seems that with the extra tax added in Denmark the price is around $30,000. Does anyone still think our bikes are expensive?

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    AH!!!!!!!!!!!! market forces at work mmmmm smell the capitalism!!!

The market value of anything is determined purely by what a purchaser is prepared to pay to acquire that item. REGARDLESS of what the owner thinks it is worth.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    AH!!!!!!!!!!!! market forces at work mmmmm smell the capitalism!!!

The market value of anything is determined purely by what a purchaser is prepared to pay to acquire that item. REGARDLESS of what the owner thinks it is worth.
    Ta Roooooo Bro'.... i thought my YZF was worth $7.5k and on Trademe the highest bid was $6995 but i got $8k for it privately, im a winner!....

Thread Information