Page 49 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Bike
    Several
    So, Speedpro, I have the engine out of your old sidecar...

I don't know if it is still the one you built or if it has been re-done.

I remember you said you had an electric water pump, this one has a mechanical one driven from the ignition side of the crank.

I think I will start a new thread actually...

I have a lot of questions, might as well spit some out now...

Reedblock was a standard MB one with the centre web hacked out and a big carbon reed, yeah?

What pistons did you run?

Did you run no balance shaft and no rebalance of the crank?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Reed block sounds like the one I altered. I used standard MB pistons which were good as gold running up to 14,000rpm regularly. The big fat ring tips were another matter and a few went missing. I used an electric water pump and a vacuum pulse fuel pump from a small outboard motor. I left the balance shaft in and did not rebalance the crank in that engine. The only engine I've rebalanced is my good (ex)30hp motor with the balance shaft removed. I also ran a CR80 ignition and a 28mm Keihin carb.

Bike
    none at moment
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    So, Speedpro, I have the engine out of your old sidecar...

I don't know if it is still the one you built or if it has been re-done.

I remember you said you had an electric water pump, this one has a mechanical one driven from the ignition side of the crank.

I think I will start a new thread actually...

I have a lot of questions, might as well spit some out now...

Reedblock was a standard MB one with the centre web hacked out and a big carbon reed, yeah?

What pistons did you run?

Did you run no balance shaft and no rebalance of the crank?
    Hey Koba, when i picked up the sidecar from Graeme Kidd in Lower Hut he said the engine had another barrell on it as the original was destroyed and it now runs an RM watercooled piston but he couldn't remember what model and the water pump is a modified RM one as well. The person you got the engine from should of had the carb for it as well.I think the stator plate on ignition is cr but not sure what model and the cdi unit was a bit oddball but Econo Honda thought he had located one in Australia, Hope that helps.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Skidd redid the barrel. If you ever need to find him he has a workshop behind Mac.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1996 Buell S1

bits

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Reed block sounds like the one I altered. I used standard MB pistons which were good as gold running up to 14,000rpm regularly. The big fat ring tips were another matter and a few went missing. I used an electric water pump and a vacuum pulse fuel pump from a small outboard motor. I left the balance shaft in and did not rebalance the crank in that engine. The only engine I've rebalanced is my good (ex)30hp motor with the balance shaft removed. I also ran a CR80 ignition and a 28mm Keihin carb.
    I've still got the reed block and the carb, you can have the one but not the other. The block is the 1st one. The PWK28 has been re-furbished and lives on my 50. (when it gets finished)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000200.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	515.4 KB 
ID:	297766  

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by cotswold View Post
    I've still got the reed block and the carb, you can have the one but not the other. The block is the 1st one. The PWK28 has been re-furbished and lives on my 50. (when it gets finished)
    Cheers Guys!

I have a carb and reedblock, just wanted to see what the others look like, cheers for the pic!

The Piston in there is a nice bit of kit, good thin rings and 54.5 mm.

Going to try it on my roadbike, 115 is a bit over the top for running in buckets!

Plus the liner is getting really thin!

I guess with an offset pin set to stroke It I may be able to make just under 125...
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by cotswold View Post
    Bring it to buckets this weekend if you want to get it to Wellington and I'll drag it down next week.
    Stock is best

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Bring it to buckets this weekend if you want to get it to Wellington and I'll drag it down next week.
    No need, I have one modified to replicate sitting on the desk right next to me!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Been busy putting a new pipe together for Gary's MB. I've been grinding the welds inside with the Dremel tool, just where I've used a bit of filler rod and it's made a bump. After that I've used a flapwheel to clean it down properly. This has got me wondering if there is a finish that is better or worse on the inside of a chamber. A lightly ground finish might be good for creating a boundary layer. My thoughts were that it probably would not be a benefit with actual gas flow but that it might have some beneficial effects with the boundary layer acting as an insulator which might help the exhaust gas temperature jump back up after the throttle is reopened, rather than the pipe busily sucking heat out of the gas. Has anyone experimented with this?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Been busy putting a new pipe together for Gary's MB. I've been grinding the welds inside with the Dremel tool, just where I've used a bit of filler rod and it's made a bump. After that I've used a flapwheel to clean it down properly. This has got me wondering if there is a finish that is better or worse on the inside of a chamber. A lightly ground finish might be good for creating a boundary layer. My thoughts were that it probably would not be a benefit with actual gas flow but that it might have some beneficial effects with the boundary layer acting as an insulator which might help the exhaust gas temperature jump back up after the throttle is reopened, rather than the pipe busily sucking heat out of the gas. Has anyone experimented with this?
    Sounds worth asking on the ESE thread.
    Smokey Yunick used to recommend cleaning out stock exhaust manifolds with an abrasive slurry used in pipeline cleaning. He also used it on race headers too to put the sort of finish on you describe. Never seen the results quantified though...personally I'd get the chamber sandblasted thoroughly. There are still some outfits around actually using sand as a medium.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Pipe finished at about 10pm night before raceday. Took it to the track without starting it and then ran it all day with only one quick look at the plug. We'll check it properly next week on the dyno. It's a bit rough but I was a bit short of time as usual.

Gary and Cricket both managed a first place and between them managed to toss it away 3 times. Luckily the weather held off and it was a good days bucket racing. We had a new slick for the front and a fresher 600 front on the rear. We also had a new front wet but that will be tested some other day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2210 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	298837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2209 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	298836  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    A short video of the start of the first race for B grade

http://youtu.be/dbswh_SKjzw

Bike
    Several
    Bugger!!!!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    shite bloody motard pitbike thingamegig's fault!!!!! how dare he mess up a perfectly good race?

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Finally got back on the dyno with the FZR. The 2 month break must have done me good as straight away I have the Lambda reading reasonably good over the full range of throttle and revs, up to 16,000rpm anyway. I've added fuel to the start and warmup phase but it does go a bit rich on warmup as it warms up before the warmup phase is finished(you need to read that bit slowly). Ideally I need to change the slope of enrichment versus engine temp. I've also set it to more or less only use the VE table which works off the MAP sensor. Theoretically it should have problems at large throttle and revs but it seemed OK. The reason is that I can't see how it will work with boost using the TPS table as the throttle position will have little relevance to airflow with the turbo. I may have to change another table which defines the relevance of each table in the final calculation of fuel amount to be injected.
    The new 128g injectors seem OK. I have to add fuel at start and warmup so they aren't TOO big, and at high load they are on for about 5mS out of an available time of about 7.5mS, at 16,000rpm.

As usual with time off, I'm busy with other more important stuff, like working on the house.

Thread Information