Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Spent some useful time on the dyno today. Had a few bits from Rob to test first. My fuel pressure regulator was good for 25psi, less than 300kpa. I squeezed the return line and the pressure jumped to 40+psi. Fitted Robs spare and had 42psi fuel pressure and it held pressure after the pump stopped. My regulator I found I could simply blow through again so the new o-ring was only a temp fix. With the added fuel pressure I figured I would need to re-install the 80g injectors so went ahead and did that. Only trouble is that the last time I had the throttle bodies off there wasn't a turbo fitted, and of course to get to one screw the turbo was in the way. Luckily I had my "Z1 float bowl removing cut down Philips screwdriver" with me and in conjunction with removing the turbo intake manifold managed to get to the screw. Fitted 80g injectors, flashed ECU, loaded fresh ".cal" file, made necessary alterations, and tried to start the bike. Not a sausage, not one, no sausages. No injector pulse width displayed. The fuel pump started every time the motor was turned so I figured it was seeing the crank trigger. That left the MAP sensor which is used to determine which cylinder is where in the cycle and therefore which one to fire the injector or ignition. I replaced the 2.5bar MAP sensor with the 1bar MAP sensor and reprogrammed the system for it. As soon as it turned it fired and was away. Over a couple of runs I took more and more fuel out of the VE map until it would run clean. I have it set to use the VE map up to 98% throttle.

Finally I did a couple of runs through the gears. With the turbo blowing air into the manifold it is a different beast. Rather than being a bit strangled by the restriction of the manifold inlet, it hauls through the gears and keeps pushing to the limit of the 1 bar MAP sensor and clearly wants to keep going. It also now revs clean to 16,000rpm or around there. Even over the motor you can hear the turbo spool up and the bike gets a lot more angry sounding.

Only 2 years of spare time chasing my tail with what was probably weak fuel pressure. Might run it again tomorrow and get Cricket to make a video.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Another session on the dyno. Fired straight up without a problem and idled away. Still had too much fuel, according to the lambda gauge so took even more out. At idle now even with the 80g injectors it runs lean with minimum pulsewidth. I've even reduced the minimum below the recommended 2mS to only 1.4mS. It seems to be OK, just a bit rich. Even at higher revs it remains rich just a bit. I recorded the runs so I can go over all system parameters later. I like this ability of recording and going back. I presume all engine management systems do it. After starting today I noted it was a bit rich all over so I did a blanket reduction of the VE table values, saved the table and then imported it to Procal the tuning software. The VE table is run in the ECU memory and changes don't need to be uploaded to be effective during a run. Pretty sweet being able to make a change to 40-50 values and just carry on within say 1 minute.

Video will be here once it's uploaded: https://youtu.be/MrFJk0wEZKE

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Awesome work Mike!

What boost are you seeing and when do you think you'll spill the beans in terms of power??

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    No boost at all. I had to revert to the 1bar MAP sensor as I think a backfire broke the 2.5 bar sensor. I get no reading from that one at all now. The runs were up to about 90% throttle dropping back to about 35% throttle to stop the manifold pressure exceeding 1bar or atmospheric pressure. It definitely wants to get on with it which is good. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get any boost with such a little engine, only 100cc and all :
    Still lots to do of course. Must get an air filter on it before it sucks in something it shouldn't and the exhaust needs to be a bit more than 50mm(2", for the metrically challenged) out of the turbo

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Another session on the dyno. Video uploaded: https://youtu.be/MrFJk0wEZKE
    Great sound ...... looking forward to hearing it with big boost.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    A run on the brake dyno I'm building just a run through the revs and then 12,000rpm against the brake with 1bar(atmospheric) manifold pressure.

https://youtu.be/_5HMp6co4EA

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I need a Ecotrons 2.5bar map senzor. I will buy one from them but thought I'd ask first if anyone has one spare? Failing that I will be putting in an order with Ecotrons si if anyone wants anything let me know and I can in lude it to share postage

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    I need a Ecotrons 2.5bar map senzor. I will buy one from them but thought I'd ask first if anyone has one spare? Failing that I will be putting in an order with Ecotrons si if anyone wants anything let me know and I can in lude it to share postage
    I've got one, PM your address and I'll send it up.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Bit of time on the track today. Revs out nicely though only to 16,000rpm due to ECU limitation. Makes boost from about 10,000rpm though that was found out on the rolling road. It's sweet to ride and very tractable but does lack power. On John's dyno it was only making about 10-11hp but we put it back on the rolling road after that and autotuned the fuel a bit more. It needed a firmer push on the brake lever to hold it back so ended up making a bit more power but I can't say how much. As per my comments in the Ecotrons thread the throttle response is near perfect. It would actually make a nice road bike. The noise is very mellow with the turbo and it hardly drew any attention at all when riding. Had the knee down exiting the sweeper so it must have been getting out of the hairpin sort of OK. The brakes have been soaked in oil from a leaky fork seal so are a bit wimpy so I was being very cautious around other riders. Very happy with the ride today. Back to the rolling road for more tweaking.

I have adjusted the ALM(Lambda) to match what the ECU is expecting at Lambda=1 which is 1.2V. Next time I will autotune to the drivers desired Lambda which is .83 at higher revs and loads which bring the power up a bit more.

Still got a few issues with the ECU as per the Ecotrons thread, if anyone has an answer to the problems let me know.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Finally got in and did some motorbike maintenance. Replaced the fork seals which were knackered. The stanchions are pitted pretty bad. One in particular had a bubble in the chrome which I started stoning down but it flaked off leaving a sharp edged pit. I stoned it back until it was feathered and then went over it more with 1200 Wet& Dry and WD40. It came out pretty good but either the forks need replacing or rechroming. Anyone with spare 38mm FZR 250 or even maybe 400 forks send me a PM. Failing that I'll need to sort rechroming. Got a 14T front sprocket as well, 1 less than I have used which was 1 lees than stock. I still want a big back sprocket probably go for a 60T if I can find one. I'll definitely have to start with a blank as I just can't find one for the FZR.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    In case someone else is looking to cut a couple of cylinders off a FZR this photo gives a pretty good idea where I cut mine.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...6&d=1358048476

Bike
    Exercycle
    In case someone else is looking to cut a couple of cylinders off a FZR this photo gives a pretty good idea where I cut mine.
    Did you cut the cases too ?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    The cases are so light it wasn't worth the trouble, + the oil pump and waterpump are stacked on a jackshaft on the left so they would have remained sticking out. The pump outlet pipe is currently the leftmost piece of the engine, and is nicely damaged after I was knocked off. Keeping the right side, where the cylinders are, allowed me to retain the generator. It is bigger and heavier than needed but saved a lot of mucking round. I did however cut the crankshaft just leaving a machined boss outside of the main bearing to the left of the camchain. It's easy enough to do and simple to block the oil galleries.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    You'll notice the camshafts have been flipped over as the locating discs are now on the right. Happily Mr Yamaha put suitable slots in both sides of the head and the lobes are symmetrical so it doesn't matter which way the cams rotate. It did my head in trying to figure if it was possible considering lobe sequences and then the cam timing as you can't use the marks to line it up.

Thread Information