Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Turbo exhaust manifold nearly finished, just need to weld the final join before the turbo flange. You can see in the photos the TIG welding that Kevin has done. The Lambda sensor flange to the end can is particularly sexy welding. Turbo fits in exactly where I wanted it. I need to make oil lines in & out which shouldn't be a problem as the FZR has a banjo fitting at the front of the cases for the oil line to the head so I'll just double it up.
    What is with the exhaust plenum?

I am by no means well versed with turbo setups, but all of the 450cc single cylinder turbos in FSAE are keeping their headers very short to capture the pulse energy of the exhaust stream.

Is there more to be gained by smoothing out the pulses?

Looks cool though. I can't wait to see some hp numbers.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Loads of theories but little hard data. The twin has an odd firing interval. I just thought about evening out the exhaust backpressure between cylinders. Otherwise I would have gone for low volume direct piping. It will be wrapped if it works at all

Bike
    husaberg
    Loads of theories but little hard data. The twin has an odd firing interval. I just thought about evening out the exhaust backpressure between cylinders. Otherwise I would have gone for low volume direct piping. It will be wrapped if it works at all
    I had a look and came up with more power longer runner but less response. It seemed pretty universal?
    I was rather intrigued at the latest factory Mazda turbo stuff.
    http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...%20design.html
    http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...20Headers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    I wouldn't have bothered. The only time I'd worry is with a 120deg three where you could possibly have two cylinder exhaust valves open at the same time.
    I recently had a turbo'd ZX1400 here which had been getting pressure spikes in the exhaust between the head and turbo, sufficient to open exhaust valves...damage visible on the valve tips. apparently it's common on Subarus cos of the manifolding layout. i'd think your plenum would rule out odd pressure spikes anyway.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Exhaust manifold is bolted to engine, turbo is test fitted to check orientation, oil feed line is bought and all the fittings and double banjo bolt, need to refit wastegate actuator or find some other way of keeping the bypass port closed, assemble oil hose and fit drain. Last thing to fabricate is the drain return fitting back to the crankcase. I'm hoping to fire it up this weekend with the turbo.

I am unsure how to configure the Ecotrons EFI. Typically a NA engine uses the MAP sensor output to determine fuel requirement at lesser revs and load, and switches to TPS sensor at large throttle settings and revs. With a turbo though I don't think that will be satisfactory as the intake pressure will vary greatly without moving the throttle as the turbo spools up. Presuming of course that it works at all. I've asked Ecotrons for some guidance. To date with the engine being NA I've had it using the VE table below 98% throttle which seemed to work OK.

The MAP sensor fluctuations are also used to determine which cylinder is on which stroke. This saves having a cam angle sensor. I have a bit of concern for the sensor response time and how it will work at the higher revs. I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be a problem.

I've just downloaded the latest version of their tuning software - ProCal. They have finally got it so changes you make to the screen gauges, range and divisions etc, are saved. Was a real pain having to reset them every time.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Exhaust manifold is bolted to engine, turbo is test fitted to check orientation, oil feed line is bought and all the fittings and double banjo bolt, need to refit wastegate actuator or find some other way of keeping the bypass port closed, assemble oil hose and fit drain. Last thing to fabricate is the drain return fitting back to the crankcase. I'm hoping to fire it up this weekend with the turbo.

I am unsure how to configure the Ecotrons EFI. Typically a NA engine uses the MAP sensor output to determine fuel requirement at lesser revs and load, and switches to TPS sensor at large throttle settings and revs. With a turbo though I don't think that will be satisfactory as the intake pressure will vary greatly without moving the throttle as the turbo spools up. Presuming of course that it works at all. I've asked Ecotrons for some guidance. To date with the engine being NA I've had it using the VE table below 98% throttle which seemed to work OK.

The MAP sensor fluctuations are also used to determine which cylinder is on which stroke. This saves having a cam angle sensor. I have a bit of concern for the sensor response time and how it will work at the higher revs. I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be a problem.

I've just downloaded the latest version of their tuning software - ProCal. They have finally got it so changes you make to the screen gauges, range and divisions etc, are saved. Was a real pain having to reset them every time.
    Make sure you video and post the first start up.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Make sure you video and post the first start up.
    Maybe the 2nd one, supposing we ever get a first of course

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    We did record the first attempts to start the bike with the turbo. It was a bit reluctant to pick up initially, with even full throttle not making any difference. It just ran at a fast idle. After a push down the drive though it seemed to sort out whatever the problem was and ran pretty well. Throttle response is good, better once warm, and I'm pretty happy.

Initial start will be here once it's uploaded, probably about 7:30pm and the 2nd video of it running a bit better will be there as well

http://youtu.be/mmWIs_g4xTc
    Last edited by speedpro; 24th May 2015 at 18:05. Reason: video being slow to upload

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    You've got the video set as private Mike, now i'm just extra curious to see it run!

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    sorted....

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Sounds like it runs pretty good for a first start. Have you got the intake all plumbed up or is the turbo outlet venting at the moment?

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's completely together, no gaps. The thing is that I have had it running with the turbo intake manifold for a while and have done all the tuning with that in place. The standard 1BAR MAP sensor is still in place and still measuring intake manifold pressure. All the maps for the ECU are still the same. The only difference is that there is now a turbine on the exhaust side and a compressor on the intake side. The fuel requirements at various manifold pressure values has not changed and neither have the maps. Hence it runs pretty good from the start.
    When I install the 2.5BAR MAP sensor I will have to reconfigure all the tables to extend the range of MAP values from 1050mBAR to probably 1500mBAR for a start. The existing values will have to be fitted into the new extended table to fill in the values up to 1050mBAR and then I should only have to tune from there up, supposing it actually makes boost.

2nd video is here https://youtu.be/zTZsJOMdqbw

Bike
    Yo momma
    It's completely together, no gaps. The thing is that I have had it running with the turbo intake manifold for a while and have done all the tuning with that in place. The standard 1BAR MAP sensor is still in place and still measuring intake manifold pressure. All the maps for the ECU are still the same. The only difference is that there is now a turbine on the exhaust side and a compressor on the intake side. The fuel requirements at various manifold pressure values has not changed and neither have the maps. Hence it runs pretty good from the start.
    When I install the 2.5BAR MAP sensor I will have to reconfigure all the tables to extend the range of MAP values from 1050mBAR to probably 1500mBAR for a start. The existing values will have to be fitted into the new extended table to fill in the values up to 1050mBAR and then I should only have to tune from there up, supposing it actually makes boost.

2nd video is here https://youtu.be/zTZsJOMdqbw
    I don't understand any of that so I am going to put in a protest...

Bike
    Several
    That sounds really cool!

Reeeevs!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    The camera does not do the sound justice. I was only revving it to about 13,000 but have had it to 16,000 on the dyno and the track before I put the turbo on. Actually with the carbs and GSXR250 ignition it pulled an indicated 19,000rpm on the dyno. Just had 2 straight pipes on it. The sound gives me shivers. Turns out Ecotrons lied to me when I asked them specifically about being able to rev to 19,000 before I bought the Ecotrons kit. I had to get a software mod to allow 16,000. They tell me now that I can rev beyond 16,000 but the tables cannot be configured so it uses the last values, in the 16,000rpm field, and supposedly will rev on. I'm not so sure as I get different stories with every call to their support people. Other than that they have been very helpful with requested changes. I had the lambda feedback disabled as it was messing with my tuning. It would have been OK if I could ride it around at various speeds and enabled auto-tuning, but not on the dyno. Same as idle control using the ignition advance. That made setting up the lower speeds a nightmare as the advance swung back and forth.

I've bumped into a very friendly mechanic/engineer/tuner who has a spare dyno chassis plus all the bits. He already has one up and running and seems keen for me to assemble the spare and initially use a huge disc brake to load it up, all wired up to load sensors, and later to fit an absorber and have it computer controlled. I'll probably make a start this weekend as I really need to have this loaded up and held at certain speeds and load to further tune. I am only interested in the lambda at the moment. Once I get that sorted I'll do a few proper runs and adjust ignition.

Thread Information