Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax motorcycles and motor scooters off the road

Bike
    None any more

Arrow Tax motorcycles and motor scooters off the road

[From the Australian Financial Review, Editorial, 1 December 2004]

[Be afraid. This is also how bureaucrats think. In a few years' time when you're sitting at home eating your fat-free, GM-free, organic tofu burger, and sipping your alcohol-free beer, "carefully" manufactured in New Zealand by unionised labour, remember that you were warned!]

In NSW, the Carr government is bravely trying to cut the road toll, even at the risk of alienating young motorists. However, its discussion paper has overlooked one simple measure that could result in a significant reduction in the road toll, including among young road users.

NSW and the other states should tax motorcycles and motor scooters off the road.

At the moment, the NSW road authorities encourage the use of motorcycles and scooters by allowing riders to use express and transit lanes.

The authorities may be acting under the impression that bikes and scooters are a socially desirable form of transport: they use little petrol, cause no congestion, take up hardly any parking space, and generally make few demands on the environment.

But of course that kind of calculus grossly understates the true cost imposed by motorcycle riders on the community.

Statistics from studies in NSW and Victoria show that motorcycle riders and their pillion passengers are many times more likely to be killed or injured than other motorists.

The risk of being killed or injured (per distance travelled) is 16 to 18 times that of a car driver or passenger. If in an accident in Victoria, riders are 33 times more likely to be killed and 31 times more likely to suffer a serious injury.

Motorcycle fatalities have declined dramatically in the past decade and a half as the use of motorcycles has declined. Motorcycles were aggressively marketed to young men and women in the 1970s and 1980s. But everyone, including governments, soon learned about their dangers.

The number of people in NSW with motorcycle licences fell by about 40per cent in the 1990s, possibly because of more stringent training and licensing requirements introduced in the mid 1980s. As a result, the number of fatalities was halved.

Unfortunately, people forget, and motorcycles and motor scooters have come back into fashion, including among middle-aged men, who should know better.

Nationally, registrations increased by almost 20 per cent in the five years to 2004. This compares with a 10 per cent increase in the number of passenger cars. The number of fatalities has also started to rise again.

The big increase has been in the number of older riders. The proportion of motorcycles registered to people aged 40 or over is up by about 60 per cent.

Older owners tend to ride bigger American and European bikes. And while they are much less likely than younger riders to have an accident, the number of crashes involving older drivers has been rising faster than the number of licence holders.

In general, the severity of injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents tends to rise with the engine capacity of the motorcycle. The average size of third-party insurance claims for motorcycle accidents injuries is higher for riders and pillion passengers aged over 25.

In the United States, the average total cost (including medical costs, lost earnings, lost quality of life) of motorcycle accidents is about 11 times that for motor vehicles as a whole. A similar ratio is likely in Australia.

It is possible that people attracted to the speed and excitement of motorcycle riding will be accident prone in any form of transport. But their risks of serious injury, permanent disability and death would be lower in a car, and so would the cost to the community.

A registration tax high enough to deter people from riding motorcycles will be opposed on the grounds of equity. Young riders are disproportionately low-paid or unemployed. Motorcycles are a "cheap" form of transport.

For those young riders who live in the outer suburbs of the major cities, where public transport is poor, a bike may be essential to get to work or to look for a job.

A heavy tax on motorcycles would be regressive, in the sense that it would fall more heavily on those with low incomes.

However, like the heavy taxation of tobacco products, the equity consequences have to judged against their health outcomes.

History has shown that governments can save people's lives simply by deterring them from getting on motorcycles. A compromise solution may be to phase in the higher tax, to give existing bike and scooter owners time to buy a car in the normal course of replacing their bikes. At least with lower tariffs and the rise of the Korean car industry, the choices for those looking for an alternative means of cheap transport have widened.

Korean cars may be less exciting, but they last longer and, more importantly, so do both their drivers and their passengers.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Scary stuff...and they call this the 'free' world. Every day we hear of something else what we aren't 'allowed' to do (or at least won't be allowed to do in the near future).

Bike
    Thinking
    mmmmmmmm disturbing I think, we can always go underground and form rebelion gangs
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Plainly written by some Daewoo-driving accountant who has never experienced the joy of motorcycling. Of course riding motorbikes is more dangerous than driving cars...and so what? Lots of such things are dangerous: scuba diving, rock climbing, skiing, rugby, dairy foods, skateboarding, too much sun, over-proof rum, under-cooked chicken...the list goes on. What next should the state stop people doing to prevent them from coming to harm I wonder?...... :spudwhat:
    Kerry

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow They have got it wrong

From my experience from accidents on the road it friggin middle aged women that are the cause so THEY should BE taxed OFF the road. Bloody beurocrats(sp)
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    2005 kawasaki zxr636
    Sometimes It feels like were all slowly being put into a small confined space were we can do anything.
    there's politicly correct and then there's stupidity. Everything fun can hurt you. (Take it all away) and all we become are consumers.
    "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider."

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Now that was frightening. I love the way the author puts forward his or her own opinions as 'facts'
    The data for motorcycle accidents always seems to include farm bike/ ATV/ motocross accidents, which as I understand it is how the ACC managed to justify increasing the levy on bike regos.

Bike
    2005 kawasaki zxr636
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    Now that was frightening. I love the way the author puts forward his or her own opinions as 'facts'
    The data for motorcycle accidents always seems to include farm bike/ ATV/ motocross accidents, which as I understand it is how the ACC managed to justify increasing the levy on bike regos.
    Its anoying how you can't check these facts you just need to take them as they are.
    "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider."

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    Now that article is total shite. Lots of opinion based on nothing verifiable, no references, just vague comments - who is that paper aimed at?

The UK (yeh, yeh, I'm an import) has seen a huge growth of bike use in the last 10 years or so as the "born -agains" return to bikes after getting rid of the kids & mortgage. Yes, they're over-represented in the accident stats, but they can now afford decent kit (lids, jackets, gloves) and are a bit out of practice after 20 years in a company Volvo. They're also most likely to be badgered (by their significant others, not the media) into taking some refresher training, as bikes have moved on and their families would like to see them again.

Actually riding in the UK, one notices a much greater awareness of bikes by the general driving public - either because they ride themselves, so are more aware of bikes; because they know people who ride, so are more aware of bikes; or because there are a lot more bikes around, so they're more aware of bikes.

The European Commission (the Executive arm of the European central government) tried enforcing a 100bhp limit on all bikes imported to Europe a few years ago, based on a single report. Fortunately, the happy coincidence of the European Parliament being engaged in a power struggle with the Commission, the European bike lobby finally getting itself together and report's author telling everybody that getting a result of "Big, powerful bikes are more dangerous than smaller ones." from his report was down to seriously flawed thinking, saved the day and we now get to play with 180bhp ZX-10Rs & such. But it was bloody close.

Any chance of that sort of coincidence happening in the Antipodes? Maybe we could suggest that EVERBODY should drive a Korean car and scrap all the WRXs, V8s and 4x4s? Not to mention bicycles. Or possibly the answer could be better driver training with specifically bike-related, hazard awareness segments?

Whatever makes a sensational headline - wankers.

Rant over,
    Beemer bloke
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

Hmm...

I don't know if it's just me growing old and paying more attention to these things, or whether it has actually become okay for companies / governments to completely override any concerns in relation to issues like this, with the one overriding factor that is always Financial Cost.

Why does that always override say the cost to the environment if they forced us all to drive cages? Or the cost of our suffering and the significant loss of enjoyment of life to us all if they got their way?

And surely if you took Auckland as an example and made, i dunno, ten percent of those suburb dwellers ride pushbikes or scooters or m/c's to work, the cost of treatment to those who binned even over the long term would be less than the proposed cost of the roading solution?

Probably the saddest part of that article for me is that a large proportion of those people actually capable of passing laws and influencing us to any degree might hold some of the views expressed in that doc.

Unfortunately, people forget, and motorcycles and motor scooters have come back into fashion, including among middle-aged men, who should know better.
    What sort of comment is that? The sort that would be made by some overweight, library raised, lacrose playing, pant peeing mummies boy who secretly always wanted a bike but never had the balls or the ability to ride one.

Bunch of ass lads.

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by BM-GS
    Now that article is total shite. Lots of opinion based on nothing verifiable, no references, just vague comments - who is that paper aimed at?

I wonder if there are any statistics available regarding motorcycle accident rates in the USA. They don't have our cc restrictions for learners so far as I know (they can go straight to a 600cc I think or even bigger). It would be interesting to know whether they have greatly different accident rates among learner riders than here...I would guess that there's bugger all difference but coud be wrong of course
    Kerry

Bike
    ALL
    That was a rigorously researched article, judging from the number of tends, almosts, and likely's that he uses. Interesting that the accident risk is so much higher in Vic than NSW, Victoria is the model for our own draconian safety policies.
    When is the author going to push for a ban on all contact sports?
    Lou

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    All we need now is the stupid fukkers email address

and dont think it will never happen... look at the "supercar" scare of the 70's... one journalist killed performance cars with a single article!

That's a bullshit article,and I can tell from just one of his comments - he talks about putting young drivers into cheap Korean imports...no way! We are talking about Australia here,they are very,very protective about their so called car industry,anything that jepodises the sale of Holdens and Falcons wouldn't get off the ground.Now if he said he wants to put young drivers into Holden Astra's or Ford Laser's I would be worried....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakamin
    All we need now is the stupid fukkers email address

and dont think it will never happen... look at the "supercar" scare of the 70's... one journalist killed performance cars with a single article!

Allow me! (courtesy of Denill via the 'ultimate solution' thread)
    Article published in Silver Bullet
    Email the Editor of the Australian Financial Review -numpties who published the article written by Alan Mitchell. I've just sent my thoughts to them reminding them of the public embarrasement that the NBR suffered after involvement with the Dick Hubbard smear campaign

Thread Information