Thread: basic Handling Skills Course.

Bike
    CBR1000

Question basic Handling Skills Course.

Hi,

I'm very new to riding. So new in fact that I need to enroll to do a Basic Handling Skills Course in order to get my Learners License. Can anybody tell me where the best place is to do this and how much this will cost to do in the Auckland Area?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated at this early stage.

Regards.

Jono

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I can recommend John Wright (he advertises at www.redbaron.co.nz under 'Rider Tuition'). He does learn-to-ride sessions on nice new CB250s and basic handling skills tests, check the website for his contact details etc. I did one of his sessions before I got my bike, and he was very confidence-inspiring. If you actually need to learn on a bike (as opposed to just take the test 'coz you can already ride), then you should definitely do one of his sessions.

PassRite (www.passrite.co.nz) do an all-in-one-day thing where they put you through the handling test, give you the cert (if you pass) and book you in at a local LTSA to do the theory test. So you can be riding legally after just a Saturday morning's worth of faffing around. IME the guys there aren't very good at actually teaching you to ride, so only do that session if you're already comfortable on a bike. They'll chew you up and spit you out without a certificate pretty fast otherwise, and you've wasted a couple of hours and got nowhere.

Whoever you go with, you'll probably need to book 2-4 weeks in advance, so get onto it!

Bike
    CBR1000
    Originally posted by jrandom
    I can recommend John Wright (he advertises at www.redbaron.co.nz under 'Rider Tuition'). He does learn-to-ride sessions on nice new CB250s and basic handling skills tests, check the website for his contact details etc. I did one of his sessions before I got my bike, and he was very confidence-inspiring. If you actually need to learn on a bike (as opposed to just take the test 'coz you can already ride), then you should definitely do one of his sessions.

PassRite (www.passrite.co.nz) do an all-in-one-day thing where they put you through the handling test, give you the cert (if you pass) and book you in at a local LTSA to do the theory test. So you can be riding legally after just a Saturday morning's worth of faffing around. IME the guys there aren't very good at actually teaching you to ride, so only do that session if you're already comfortable on a bike. They'll chew you up and spit you out without a certificate pretty fast otherwise, and you've wasted a couple of hours and got nowhere.

Whoever you go with, you'll probably need to book 2-4 weeks in advance, so get onto it!

Thanks a lot for this info. The John Wright stuff looks better than the other so I'll let him know you have referred me to him!

Cheers.

Jono

Bike
    xs400 -
    Hey trackman ... can I borrow your CBR1000 while you're learning ?

please ?
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Auckland Motorcycle Club also offer a basic handling skills lesson/test that I did. Craig wiffen is the guy who instructs and it has a very worthwhile afternoon that gave me many good pointers I have been able to pass on.

He's well worth a shot if the others are unavailable

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    And if you can't find anybody do what i did find a mate who has a bit of experience and just leech it off them. It's cheap , fun and you can do it to your own schedule.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Originally posted by wari
    Hey trackman ... can I borrow your CBR1000 while you're learning ?
    Heh.

I think Trackman was taking his cues from the 'Favourite' bike description... I imagine there'd be a bit of frustration if you actually had a litrebike sitting in the driveway for two years while you waited for a full license... even if it *was* a Fatblade, uh, CBR1000

He wants a nice RGV250, he does

Oi, Trackman, next you have to start a thread about which bike you should buy, OK? Not enough entertainment around here recently

Bike
    78 CBX 750 Outfit, Yamaha 1400 Custom
    Give me a call on 021 New Rider for BAsic Skills test.
    Info on www.silver-bullet.co.nz/Ridesafe

I do tests Sunday after noons every week - no booking needed -if you have already ridden. If you have never ridden before you might have to wait a week or so as I only take 2 new riders at a time.

Cost of Basic skills test is $50 - if you need a bit of help and instruction that is included
    If you say either "I can" or "I can't" your correct.

Bike
    2002 Honda Fireblade/2003 Honda ST1300
    try www.riderskills.co.nz (west auckland)
    <MARQUEE>Ride safe - they're out to get you!</MARQUEE>

Bike
    1990 Honda Goldwing

Recommendation for Lee Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rusty
    Give me a call on 021 New Rider for BAsic Skills test.
    Info on www.silver-bullet.co.nz/Ridesafe

I do tests Sunday after noons every week - no booking needed -if you have already ridden. If you have never ridden before you might have to wait a week or so as I only take 2 new riders at a time.

Cost of Basic skills test is $50 - if you need a bit of help and instruction that is included
    I can strongly recommend Lee. After previous visits to another instructor mentioned here (no names, no pack drill) failed to fill a family member with confidence, i was pointed in the direction of Lee. He was very patient and made all the students that I saw him teach feel confident that they could achieve what was asked of them. The family member in question breezed through in two sessions and the dramatic increase in self-confidence (and knowledge) was a pleasure to see.

Thread Information