Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash and Burn mentality

Bike
    BSA A10

Crash and Burn mentality

An extract for the April Kiwi rider on developing future champions

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Esdaile
    Although it had a rule in its Competition Rules allowing 13 year olds to compete in Miniature Road Racing events ( the so called "Bucket" class) there was no proper junior structure and almost no coaching. The class attracted aged riders who were happy to spend thousands of dollars on old, well thrashed motorcycles and it developed a "crash and burn" mentality that is still present
    Yes the average age would be higher than most classes, happy to spend thousands? I fucking doubt it, most people I know race this class because of low cost, competitive and fun racing

My bike originally cost $500 and has had perhaps $2000 spent on it in 4 seasons of racing, an expensive bike in this class is $1000-1500 not "thousands"

crash and burn mentality? no one I know likes crashing or has the win it or bin it attitude, it hurts and it breaks shit that cost money
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Lets burn Esdaile now!

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Esdaile
    Although it had a rule in its Competition Rules allowing 13 year olds to compete in Miniature Road Racing events ( the so called "Bucket" class) there was no proper junior structure and almost no coaching. The class attracted aged riders who were happy to spend thousands of dollars on old, well thrased motorcycles and it developed a "crash and burn" mentality that is still present
    Good drugs Michael... which Fast Bikes video were you watching?

Dipstick.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Seems strange indeed,am currently spending $ i dont have getting this old girl (that i paid $1500 for) trackworthy and besides pain my biggest worry when it gets to the track is binning it,doing damage, because it will take me so long to afford to fix the thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huggerfairing 035 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	89990  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully60 View Post
    Lets burn Esdaile now!
    Slowly over a pile of broken Bucket parts
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I just wish journos would take the time to visit a meeting or two before getting the pencil out.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I read that and thought that didn't sound like the people I know poring care and attention into every scrap and freebie and mates rate part, time and services they can beg, borrow, or steal.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I just wish journos would take the time to visit a meeting or two before getting the pencil out.
    Takes to long. Also the truth isn't all that sensational. It's better for all concerned that they just make it up as they go along.

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    crash and burn mentality? no one I know likes crashing or has the win it or bin it attitude, it hurts and it breaks shit that cost money
    I don't like crashing...but in my short bucket racing career to date I've done it a few times. My thinking was if I'm not crashing every now and then, I'm not pushing it hard enough. Then I read a quote: "to finish first, first you have to finish" which got me thinking.

For me, this season is going to be about developing skills and consistently getting points rather than pushing as hard as I can and always falling off (then blaming the skinny tyres )
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    For me, this season is going to be about developing skills and consistently getting points rather than pushing as hard as I can and always falling off (then blaming the skinny tyres )
    I won the Auckland champs one year like that. Never crashed, never broke, ALWAYS got points, never won a race. Annoyed a few people including me. It would have been nice to win at least one race. It came down to Jo Mead and me in the final race and I think something happened to his bike and noone else was close enough points-wise to beat me in the championship.

Doesn't hurt progress to crash now and again. Just make sure it happens when it doesn't really matter.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I read that article. Then went back after this thread and reread it.
    It looks to me that he was making a point--and a pretty valid one at that
    BUT the way he phrased it was far from the best.
    Should have read something like - Formula 4 (Buckets racing) although generally a low cost class is still competative and not a place for a novice racer to start out.
    I must say I'd refute that argument as well given my memory was that F4 was devided into A and B grade with B grade intended for novice riders of any age.
    I think that in AUCKLAND bucket racing is the perfect place for a novice racer to start out BUT it needs someone like oyster to put the spade work in for the kids.
    Why specifically auckland --Quite frankly In my opinion Pukie is not a place for a novice racer of any age to cut their teeth let alone a 13 year old
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    We help any one who asks for help here. We even have a women's only class (but I suspect they'll be racing with everyone in no time). If someone turns up and just wants to try we'll let them (on their own if they want).

Best of all, advice is freely given. I get tips all the time (mostly 'get the fuck outta my way!' but some of it I listen to).

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I'm not so sure about F4 "not" being a place to start your racing career. Just a few names that "I" first saw at bucket racing - the Shirriffs, K Morgan, and G Cunningham, and there's plenty more.

It's also good from the point of view of, sometimes literally, rubbing shoulders with some absolutely top class riders, to name a few - D Charlott, Mr Morgan and Mr Cunningham, Olly Young, Dave Diprose, that Biddle girl and I seem to recall seeing that Briggs bloke out there once though that could be an old age and Woodstock thing. There's more, that's just the few I remember without trying too hard.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I'm not so sure about F4 "not" being a place to start your racing career. Just a few names that "I" first saw at bucket racing - the Shirriffs, K Morgan, and G Cunningham, and there's plenty more.

It's also good from the point of view of, sometimes literally, rubbing shoulders with some absolutely top class riders, to name a few - D Charlott, Mr Morgan and Mr Cunningham, Olly Young, Dave Diprose, that Biddle girl and I seem to recall seeing that Briggs bloke out there once though that could be an old age and Woodstock thing. There's more, that's just the few I remember without trying too hard.
    I remember watching Dennis Charlett at Carrs road when I raced Karts

Don't forget Dominic Jones now racing in the USA

Bike
    Honda PC800
    If ya read back on my advice re starting racing its been for years --go bucket racing.
    But for a 13 year old that has never seen a racetrack jumping into a full on raceclass of any type has to be pretty daunting.
    hey speedy--a germ of an idea--howsabout we find 3or 4 rg50's or nsr50's each and see what we can do for these dorkland kids
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information