Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose part noise coming from my engine!

Bike
    1997 Suzuki Street Magic

Loose part noise coming from my engine!

Hey guys

lately ive been riding and noticing a noise coming from, im guessing my engine.
    its mostly noticable when i take off in first but it sounds like sumthns loose and clinking around

its slightly noticable in 2nd gear but after 3rd i hardly hear it at all.

would anyone have any idea what this cud be?

Cheers

Bike
    None any more
    Sounds suspiciously like you've got some sort of loose part there.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPX 250
    Best to take it in somewhere and get it checked, before something happens mid-ride.

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Chain slapping against the swingarm? Check your chain isn't loose

When the bike is idling can you hear the noise or is it only when you ride the bike? When you are riding the bike what happens when you pull the clutch in? Is the click click sound still there? and how many k's has your FXR done?
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    I dont know what the exhausts are like on your bike but on the mighty GN the backing plate is known to come loose which rattles only at idle because when revved the exhaust pressure pushes it out to stop rattling.
    I know its random but it caught me out when it happened

Bike
    Too many to count
    those FXRs are a very reliable bike!

check the chain. does the bike make the noise when stationary?

i know my one has a loose baffle in the muffler which makes a noise that could be mistaken for engine trouble by an untrained ear.

so sit it on it's sidestand and try to find the source of the noise. if that doesn't help and you're brave, and probably get a mate to help with this one, just tilt it up on the sidestand so the rear wheel is off the ground. now put it in gear and see where the noise is coming from. (good way to lube a chain too)

Bike
    1997 Suzuki Street Magic

noise

i dont hear the noise when im stationary.
    it might possibly be the chain, i had it tightened becuz its coming to its last years.

before i leave tomorrow il a more attention 2 the chain thnx

Bike
    Yamaha FZX 750 - Mini Vmax
    Well then..

That's the third FXR that i've heard that's chewed through it's chain.

Either people who ride them rape the shit out of them, don't know how to maintain there bike or there's a design fault in there somewhere. Or coincidence?
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea
    For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
    Because he knows the time is short
    Let him who hath understanding
    Reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number
    Its number is six hundred and sixty six.

FOR SALE: '88 Yamaha FZX 750, low k's and decent condition. Looking for around 4.5K. Drop us a pm, view it any time. Oh, and trades considered for cruisers or naked sporties.

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPX 250
    New riders don't get told to lube chains.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    I told him to and replace it if flogged

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Well then..

That's the third FXR that i've heard that's chewed through it's chain.

Either people who ride them rape the shit out of them, don't know how to maintain there bike or there's a design fault in there somewhere. Or coincidence?
    all three:

the fxr's that you hear about are the ones owned by hoons, and it's not hard to thrash one

most learners know jack shit about things like chains, air filters etc (no offence intended)

all it takes is a learner/student who knows no better to buy a $60 chain (or cheaper) and you'll constantly hear about th chain stretching out. plus the standard one is likely to be not so flash (endless o-ring standard though)

my nc30 had serious chain issues till it ran out of adjustment (after weekly tightening) and i replaced with a $270 x-ring chain/sprocket set. done two coro loops and many weekends thrashing it over more than 4 months, plus daily commute, and only now looking at tightening for the first time since
    money well spent

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Emb View Post
    i dont hear the noise when im stationary.
    it might possibly be the chain, i had it tightened becuz its coming to its last years.

before i leave tomorrow il a more attention 2 the chain thnx
    chain should have around 25mm (one inch) play in it vertically, and very little laterally.

is the noise only under acceleration? sure it isn't in the muffler? mind giving squiggles or myself a test ride?

I'd hate to see your bike blow up on you, i'm sure chris didn't abuse it that badly (he has a fair idea about maintenance from his dirtbikes plus common sense)

Bike
    1997 Suzuki Street Magic

noisegone!

hah woke up thi morn and went up the drive way only to hear the noise again.
    lookd down and the horizontal bolt that you use to tighte the chain hand gone! and the chain was very loose!
    went to colemans and pickd up a new bolt, tightenedthe chain and its perfect now, no noise and the bikes a lot more responsive.
    also i sprayed the wole chain and in the sprocket with crc (its the only form of chain lubing can do atm)

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Last time yo did the chain it was overtight, check it has 2-3cm of slack midway between the sprockets, all around the length of the chain... If you overtighten it enough, that knocking will be a failing countershaft? sprocket bearing

Oh, and get some good lube, CRC does lightly oil, but nowhere near as well as a can of chain oil... its cheap and lots of different brands available, i prefer motul as it seems to fling less. Can buy lube from any bike store

Edit: Come back around some time, ill take a look at the alignment of the wheel + condition of chain

Bike
    1997 Suzuki Street Magic
    sweet, yeah i found the tightest point of the chain and got it so it had bout 2 inches of slack, adjusted both sides and the wheel see pretty straight to me.
    oh yeap ill try pick sum up when i ge pad.
    sure thing

Thread Information