Thread: Half-a-billion dollar "Treelord" settlement

Bike
    None - s'fucked

Half-a-billion dollar "Treelord" settlement

Half a BILLION dollars.

As a Treaty Settlement.

No, that's not divisive at all.

Fuckers.

And I've just realised that Ngai Tahu have a 50 fucking year "Top up"clause in their 1994 settlement.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    At the risk of being bombarded with the rage of ignorant rednecks who don't know their history, I remind you of these interesting facts, and invite you to consider whether the injustices may not be worth a few billion dollars.

Land Claims Ordinance stated that lands not actually occupied or used by the Māori belonged to the Crown.

Suppression of Rebellion Act. No right to trial before imprisonment. Its intention was to punish 'certain aboriginal tribes of the colony' for rebelling against the Crown.

New Zealand Settlement Act. Over 3 million acres of Māori land was confiscated to pay for the war.

Native Land Court.
    Designed to determine ownership. Māori owners had to spend many months in town waiting to have their cases heard. If they did not show up they lost the right to the land. This caused many of them to build up huge debts and they had to sell a lot of their land to pay for them. Māori owners had to pay for any surveying work that had to be done.

Oyster Fisheries Act. Prevented Māori from fishing commercially. Māori Commercial fishing enterprises at the time went broke and they had to sell land to meet their debts.

The East Coast Land Titles Investigation Act authorised the issue of proclamations of confiscation. This was used to force unwilling sellers to accept offers for their land under threat of confiscation.

West Coast Settlement Act. Any Māori in Taranaki could be arrested without a warrant and jailed for 2 years with hard labour if he built anything or in any way hindered the surveying of property.

Native Lands Administration Act. Rejected the traditional right of communal ownership. Māori land was given over to small groups of trustees who had the right under this Act to sell it.

Validation of Invalid Land Sales Act. Any pākehā misdealings concerning Māori land were legitimised.

Māori Land Settlement Act. Māori land was put under the control of Land Councils with no Māori representation.

The abolition of Native Councils that had slowed down the Government's land purchases.

Māori servicemen who returned after World War I were not eligible for the benefits of the rehabilitation Scheme.

Māori Affairs Act. If Māori land was not occupied or being used then it was declared 'waste land' and taken by the government.

The Foreshore and Seabed Act makes official the crown's ownership of those areas. This amounted to a confiscation.

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    read you post with interest.

Still think its a crock of shit.

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    read you post with interest.
    Still think its a crock of shit.
    It's interesting eh, I didn't know most of that stuff before we learned about it in History.

My history teacher asked us to think about it this way: What if the Chinese came to NZ now, we let them set up their own government, and then they suddenly started passing laws taking away our land, stopped us from teaching our kids English, and enforced those laws with troops armed with weapons way more advanced than anything we had.

We'd be pissed. We'd still be pissed 150 years later. Hell, it's not even 150 years later, it was just in 1953 that the Maori Affairs Act was passed saying if Maori land was not occupied or being used then it was declared 'waste land' and taken by the government.

A lot of people learn about the injustices and go "Oh hell that's really bad. But it was all so long ago, let's just forgive and forget eh. It wasn't me, it was my great-grandfather."

That's really easy to say when you're on the top of the pile, and less easy to say if every day you see the grandchildren of thieves living on the land their grandfathers stole from you.

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    At the risk of being bombarded with the rage of ignorant rednecks who don't know their history, I remind you of these interesting facts, and invite you to consider whether the injustices may not be worth a few billion dollars.

Land Claims Ordinance stated that lands not actually occupied or used by the Māori belonged to the Crown.

Suppression of Rebellion Act. No right to trial before imprisonment. Its intention was to punish 'certain aboriginal tribes of the colony' for rebelling against the Crown.

New Zealand Settlement Act. Over 3 million acres of Māori land was confiscated to pay for the war.

Native Land Court.
    Designed to determine ownership. Māori owners had to spend many months in town waiting to have their cases heard. If they did not show up they lost the right to the land. This caused many of them to build up huge debts and they had to sell a lot of their land to pay for them. Māori owners had to pay for any surveying work that had to be done.

Oyster Fisheries Act. Prevented Māori from fishing commercially. Māori Commercial fishing enterprises at the time went broke and they had to sell land to meet their debts.

The East Coast Land Titles Investigation Act authorised the issue of proclamations of confiscation. This was used to force unwilling sellers to accept offers for their land under threat of confiscation.

West Coast Settlement Act. Any Māori in Taranaki could be arrested without a warrant and jailed for 2 years with hard labour if he built anything or in any way hindered the surveying of property.

Native Lands Administration Act. Rejected the traditional right of communal ownership. Māori land was given over to small groups of trustees who had the right under this Act to sell it.

Validation of Invalid Land Sales Act. Any pākehā misdealings concerning Māori land were legitimised.

Māori Land Settlement Act. Māori land was put under the control of Land Councils with no Māori representation.

The abolition of Native Councils that had slowed down the Government's land purchases.

Māori servicemen who returned after World War I were not eligible for the benefits of the rehabilitation Scheme.

Māori Affairs Act. If Māori land was not occupied or being used then it was declared 'waste land' and taken by the government.

The Foreshore and Seabed Act makes official the crown's ownership of those areas. This amounted to a confiscation.
    New Zealand quota management system, fisheries (1980something). Fisheries nationalised for protection because 'no one owned them'. Article II, Treaty of Waitangi "Her Majesty....confirms and guarentees...the full exclusive and undisturbed possession of land and estates, forests, fisheries, and other properties..."

Btw, I know nothing about the treelord deal. I thought I'd just add to the timeline. _b
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    That's all very well as an argument, but it buys into the whole separatist state of affairs...why shouldn't soemthing like forestry assets or fisheries be state controlled?

What pisses me off is the use of the word "Government" as if it means some entity which Maori have no say in...now we have a situation where in the case of the South Island all the greenstone belongs to a maori corporation and individual Maori are being imprisioned for "stealing" it. Personally, I don't see much difference to the poor sods at the bottom of the heap, at least they get to vote for a new government every three years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Fuck, that'll buy them a lot of piss.

Bike
    350LC
    So it seems that some forest owners are allowed carbon credits while others had theirs confiscated by the present Govt.

Bike
    Guzzi
    If the government had half as much concern for the underprivelded and poverty stricken that are not under the protection of the 'Treaty,' as for those that are, I might be little more sympathetic to Treaty issues.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    and cigarettes

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zrxer View Post
    and cigarettes
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think you'll find the people who negotiated the deal have nothing to do with those who waste their money on booze and fags.

You might be better advised to read about why such a large proportion of a population ended up resorting to alcohol (and to a lesser extent) child abuse. The NZ formula is by no means a unique one; however, our attempts to resolve it are fairly unique.

Put into context the amount of reparations in no way comes close to the amount of harm done over the course of history.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    stuff and things about the other side
    What I find interesting is the talk of access.

Who has been up Mt Tarawera lately?

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    I think you'll find the people who negotiated the deal have nothing to do with those who waste their money on booze and fags.

Put into context the amount of reparations in no way comes close to the amount of harm done over the course of history.
    Riffer, I'm responding in reverse order, cos I'm not smart enough to mess around with quotes.

That's debatable. My ancestry is from England and Scotland. When can my Scottish side expect reparation from the English for however many years of oppressive rule?? Or the English from the Romans?? At what point do you say "Fuck it, that's the way the world was at the time"?

Regardless, this settlement will do nothing to help "everyday" Maori (my laptop can't do the little sign on the "a", sorry Steam) leading the country in:
    Alcoholism
    Child Abuse (and killings)
    Leaving School with little to no qualifications
    Teen pregnancy
    Drugs
    Crime

The Maori I know personally are hard working, honest people struggling to be good parents like most parents in NZ.

This $500,000,000 will be "managed" by the "Leaders" of the Tribe, who will probably invest in smart things (Like the Warriors league team) and working class (and lower) Maori will get precisely no benefit from it.

I don't know what the answer to Maori's problems are, but throwing half a billion at them (which most will never see) can't be it. And will only cause resentment for all other NZ'ers who are struggling.

And how many Carbon Credits were Maori trading in 1840 or earlier???
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post
    And how many Carbon Credits were Maori trading in 1840 or earlier???
    Dont forget they owned the radio spectrum as well, and the airspace above their lakes.

And don't mention the Moa either.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    so does this mean the British Government is about to make reparations for all the North Sea oil and gas profits from over the past 3 decades too?
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Thread Information