Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WANTED: Budget learner bike $1000 or less...

Bike
    2004 D-TRACKER, 1997 DT230 LANZA

How to get Learner Bike in small budget: In BANZAI's case...

I made same thread in Online trading forum, but might as well make one in here!!!!

Something that can follow you guys in rides and something look-like old school bike

Near HSB parking I see black GB250(I think it's MGST's)? almost everyday and it looks sooooo cool!!! I want one look like that if possible.

If not I dont mind any kind of bikes but Im only 159cm with short legs so something I dont have to stand with my tiptoes while waiting at lights!!!

kiwifruit posted me this on the thread I made in online trading forum.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...htm?key=554140

What you guys reckon??

EDIT: Got the GN250, thanks to you all who helped me! Hope see you soon at rides!!!

Bike
    Hornet
    You'll need to spend a $1000 just to get very basic riding gear first i.e no frills helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants. Then at least $300 for 3rd party insurance, another $3-500 for inevitable-newly-purchased bike repairs AND THEN IF YOU ARE EXTREMELY LUCKY...

$1000 for a bike with a working engine. (I would have thought $2000-2500 would be the minimum spend on a bike?).

Sorry to be negative mate. Best if you know the true costs now rather than later.

When you do get a bike, I can donate you some used leather gloves (not the ones I just destroyed in a crash!).

Bike
    sold it :(
    Would you consider a GN250?

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    For less than $1k? Yeah I would
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by BANZAI View Post
    kiwifruit posted me this on the thread I made in online trading forum.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...htm?key=554140

What you guys reckon??

EDIT: Its in Timaru!!! its too far.....
    That's a good CB250RS for a great price. You could get it shipped up, but just wait and have a look around for other bikes.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstar View Post
    I would have thought $2000-2500 would be the minimum spend on a bike?
    naw!
    plenty of working motorcycles to be had for a grand or so

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Too many to count
    mint looking 250 there! looks like a very good buy even if you consider the $250 shipping

a grand for gear?

$200 full face hooligan hat
    $300 semi decent codura jacket
    $100 decent leather gloves
    $200? 3rd party, fire & theft cover
    pick up the rest as you go

pants and boots are recommended, but how many of us really wear those all the time? i know i'm slack when it comes to commuting (and yes i know how stupid it is with my 20km trip just to get from home to uni). didn't even own pants/boots till a few months after getting my full licence!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstar View Post
    You'll need to spend a $1000 just to get very basic riding gear first i.e no frills helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants. Then at least $300 for 3rd party insurance, another $3-500 for inevitable-newly-purchased bike repairs AND THEN IF YOU ARE EXTREMELY LUCKY...
    $1000 for a bike with a working engine. (I would have thought $2000-2500 would be the minimum spend on a bike?)
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    mint looking 250 there! looks like a very good buy even if you consider the $250 shipping
    a grand for gear?
    $200 full face hooligan hat
    $300 semi decent codura jacket
    $100 decent leather gloves
    $200? 3rd party, fire & theft cover
    pick up the rest as you go
    pants and boots are recommended, but how many of us really wear those all the time? i know i'm slack when it comes to commuting (and yes i know how stupid it is with my 20km trip just to get from home to uni). didn't even own pants/boots till a few months after getting my full licence!
    I thought Jacket and Helmet are cheaper. On Wild West Honda broucher from O'week, it says Jackets $179 and Helmets $89...

About pants, how bout those pads? I saw in magazine somewhere advertising pads for Knee and Elbow, is that any cheaper?

I can pay insurance monthly so its ok I guess.

That CB250RS is not auction so I can negotiate the price I think. Even if it's over grand for few hundreds I'm sure some of sellers won't mind negotiating!!! (optimistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    If theres working condition one for grand.

It's interesting to know that in this sort of price range it's hard to find good or even working condition bike, but less than grand you can get a car that can be driven on road legally(barely?)

Couple from other thread, what you think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...htm?key=979488

Kiwifruit's pick of the bunch
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...htm?key=980735

EDIT: Actually that GT125, I did talk to Stephen about it and decided not to go for that one...

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    I got my semi decent cordura gear from Red Baron

$200 for jacket
    $150 for pants

$269 for decent boots from Mt Eden MC
    $99 for decent leather gloves from MT Eden MC

Oxford helmet from Cycletreads $99 plain or $119 flash ( ish ) paint job.

So there's $818 for about the cheapest gear you can buy which is actually worth buying ( that was my phillosophy when I bought it cos I was broke at the time too ). It's all lasting me fine with every day commuting for the last 2 years, quality is good ( stitching etc ) and at this rate I'd say I'll get at least another 2 years out of it, maybe more.

I don't have any kind of insurance on my bike. As a new rider over 25 years old, it was going to cost about $200 - 250 from memory ( that was the cheapest quote - they went from there up to around $400!! ). Hell, I only paid $1000 for the bike ( admittedly it was "tired" ) so I'll take my chances . Even after the $2200 bare-frame refurbishment, I still take my chances. The bike doesn't owe me anything now, even after refurbishment, so every day now is money saved ( over taking the car, bus, train etc ).

Haven't looked around for a while, but I think the bikes around the $1K mark would prefer if you were good with the spanners, and / or aren't too worried if it looks a little rough around the edges ( and maybe in the middle too! ).

TradeMe is your friend!!

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Couple from other thread, what you think?

If the rego is expired thats probably a couple of hundred to sort it ( re-vin etc ). Needs a mirror for the right hand side ( $20 new ) and a seat if you want to ride it any decent distance. Parts for these are plentiflu though, so spares are both easy to get and cheap ( ish ).

2 Stroke. Not really the best bike ( engine ) for a learner, just ask Drider. Not so common these days, parts may be a problem / expensive?

I thought these were 4 stroke? Anyone know? Nice looking bike, and looks in good condition + in Auckland. Probably worth a look, especially if 4 stroke. Reserve met at $760, so price is in the ball park too.

Kiwifruit's pick of the bunch
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...htm?key=980735
    Looks alright too. Hondas go forever, only problem its far away.

Edit: ok that Suzuki GT 125 is a 2 stroke. Heres the original brochue:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/G...Ksales_800.jpg

Bike
    Hornet
    Splitting hairs over exact dollar amount is obviously possible. You could always hunt around for secondhand gear too and save more.

Where ever you get your gear from and however much you pay DO GET IT BEFORE YOU GET YOUR BIKE.

Good luck with finding GEAR and a bike, and hope to see you out there soon!

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Pfft, Hanne's gear was $150 for the jacket, $100 for the pants, $100 for the gloves (only ones that fitted her tiny hands!), and whatever goes for you for boots

I thought you'd pick up a CB250RS for that price, tis realistic to get one of them or a Jap GN for around or just above a grand

Bike
    '87 VTZ250 & '72 CB175
    Don't be affraid to look elsewhere rather than TradeMe. I got my bike through a generous chap in the Classic Japanese Motorcycle Group - and didn't have to pay the TradeMe "sub-250 popularity penalty".

Don't think that this'll be the last bike you'll ever own. You'll probably only have it for six months, pay it off, then use it as capital to purchase a bigger and better bike.

Get your gear first. There's lots of cheap jackets on TradeMe (I'd look for leather TBH) or even ask on here, my GF got a great jacket for $80 off SDU.

If you hunt around all the bikeshops (Go to the smaller shops outside the CBD) you'll only have to pay $80->$130 for a helmet - never buy a second hand helmet. Don't scrimp on gloves either, your hands are one of your most valuable assets.

Pants and boots come down to personal preference. If you can live without your legs then save on it for now. I've never riden without my Draggins and Forma boots after seeing the destruction on...

www.Ride2Die.com
    Wear QUASiMOTO !

Bike
    Too many to count
    I thought Jacket and Helmet are cheaper. On Wild West Honda broucher from O'week, it says Jackets $179 and Helmets $89...

It's interesting to know that in this sort of price range it's hard to find good or even working condition bike, but less than grand you can get a car that can be driven on road legally(barely?)
    really? gear must be getting cheaper these days

and yeah bike prices are crazy. it costs around 10k for a brand new 900cc inline four naked bike, and 5k for the 250cc equivalent that's over a decade old. a cbr250 is worth more than a cbr400!

atleast they don't depreciate as badly as cars, mostly because bike dealers don't have such ridiculous markups on vehicles like the car dealers do and the 250cc licence rule keeps things in demand

Bike
    I got tiny hands too!!!

Yea I'm very interested about that CB250. How does the shipping work? Is there particular company does bike shipping??

Hmm should I email this seller or not.... What you guys think?

Thread Information