Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyosung GT250R '06 - fork seal gone for the second time in 2 months!

Bike
    None at present

Angry Hyosung GT250R '06 - fork seal gone for the second time in 2 months!

Hey everyone,

I got my fork seals replaced in February as they were leaking fork oil, well the left one was anyway. Haven't had any problems for a while but I went for a ride on Saturday and at one point while downchanging the bike shuddered and next thing I know, the f&$#ing left fork seal has gone again. I had it looked at by a Hyosung dealer who replaced the fork seals for me in February, who thought that it might just be grease and gave it a clean and told me to keep looking over it. I looked at it again this morning and there is definitely fork oil all over the place so it is obviously still leaking.

Does anyone know what might have caused this and how to go about fixing it because I can't afford to keep changing bloody fork seals this often. It's only ever been on the left side and I would have thought that then they were done originally if there was any problem with the forks they would have seen it when it was changed. The bike has been dropped on it's left side but only at very slow speeds - could this have caused a problem?

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Any help or input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    is there a nick on the chrome shaft bit ?

DB

Bike
    None at present
    Not that I can see...I would have thought that if there was the shop would have picked it up though?
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGazza84 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I had it looked at by a Hyosung dealer who replaced the fork seals for me in February, who thought that it might just be grease and gave it a clean and told me to keep looking over it. I looked at it again this morning and there is definitely fork oil all over the place so it is obviously still leaking.
    Grease on the fork staunchion(sp)?? From where?? With that sort of attitude I doubt I would be taking it back to this said dealer to have the work done on it again.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    brake fluid anywhere? maybe a minor split on the hose that shoots a jet on the forks when on load decelerating??
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    None at present
    I think he said from when they changed them the first time, but it is most definitely not grease. I know another guy who has a good reputation for working on bikes who apparently doesn't live too far from me so I shall get him to take a look, me thinks. Get the damn thing fixed once and for all.

Bike
    None at present
    Oh true that could be it as well, the colour seems to be kind of greenish, could it be brake fluid instead?

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    Its prob fork oil, they come in a few colours

Oh true that could be it as well, the colour seems to be kind of greenish, could it be brake fluid instead?
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    None at present
    Right. Last time I checked the front brake fluid, it didn't look particuarly low so I guess it wouldn't be that, surely if it was brake fluid it would be noticeably lower on the guage on the handlebars....

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    its possible they are dickheads and put too much oil in and blew the seals.
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    None at present
    It just seems a bit odd that it is always the left one? I would have thought if they'd put too much oil in or something, it would have affected both of them and not just the left?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Grease on the fork staunchion(sp)?? From where?? With that sort of attitude I doubt I would be taking it back to this said dealer to have the work done on it again.
    Grease will overload an oil seal and flip it inside out, and likely pinch it and damage it in the process too.

Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    brake fluid anywhere? maybe a minor split on the hose that shoots a jet on the forks when on load decelerating??
    Unlikely. You will lose your front brakes completely if this happens.

I'd take it back to the person who fitted the seal and tell them to fix it properly this time. Or at least go in there with a long look on your face.

DB

Bike
    None at present
    Thanks DB,

Only thing is that if they haven't fixed it properly last time, how do I know they'll do it this time? It might be a better idea to take it to another place and get them to do it, a guy that I've heard good things about and put the crash bungs on my bike apparently doesn't live too far from me so I might try him instead.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    [...] if they haven't fixed it properly last time, how do I know they'll do it this time?
    This is true. You might be able to bluff them into doing again, PROPERLY this time please. Many shops feel they owe you at least this much if their work turned to crap.

It might be a better idea to take it to another place and get them to do it, a guy that I've heard good things about and put the crash bungs on my bike apparently doesn't live too far from me so I might try him instead.
    Yes, this might be a better call.

I have found it is better to stick with people who have messed up work for me, because at the end of it, they feel they owe me something and they work it out. Often, a good relationship can be struck and you might even get free run of their workshop after a few years.

Having said that, I have recently ditched one workshop after repeatedly letting me down. These weren't technical errors - they were just "we will fuck you about as much as we like and you can get fucked AND you can pay for it" errors - the type I particularly detest.

DB

Bike
    None at present
    True, I can see how that could work, but I have a feeling they will charge me again for the work and I'm loathed to have to pay for it again. I could be wrong of course but I'd rather not take the risk and get myself into a whole lot of crap.

I was very impressed with the amount of effort this dude went to with the crash bungs, and the guy I bought the bike off speaks very highly of him so I think it would be a better call. Do any of you guys know where I can order fork seals and what size they need to be for the Hyosung GT250R '06?

Thanks for all your help and advice already

Thread Information