Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure/dual sport bike for a very short gal

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket

Question Adventure/dual sport bike for a very short gal

Hi Folks,
    For some time we have been mulling over getting a bike for my wife. The problem is that she is very short at 5'0" and compounding the problem is that proportionally she has a long body and short legs. We now have the $'s for a new or near new bike and for the last few weeks we have been touring the bike shops trying every thing we can find for size. Being short with short legs has made finding a suitable bike a real drama. The obvious shorties bikes are Yamaha XT225/XT250/TW200, Honda SL230/CRF230L, Suzuki DR200 & Kawasaki Sherpa 250. We hav'nt been able to find a Sherpa or TW200 locally to try out, however all the others are way too tall without significant lowering, and opinions vary regarding the feasibility of doing it. All have a similar seat height but the XT225/250, CRF230L are the closest to fitting due to being very slim bikes, but she is nowhere near being able to get a toe on the ground while seated, let alone both feet touching. We would need to lower the bikes by approx 100 mm which can be acheived by a combination of suspension mods, seat re-trimming and even built up soles on her riding boots.

Are there any bikes we have overlooked? The bike will be used for adventure touring. It needs to be able to maintain open road speeds comfortably, suitable for seal, gravel and formed back country tracks. It won't be used off road/trail riding. It won't be required to carry luggage other than spare riding gear etc (I have a Transalp 650 which is capable of carrying the gear for 2).

Is there anyone that has first hand experience in lowering any of these bikes substantially and properly? If so how and how did it work out?

We've trawled the interweb which as usual is totally confusing.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Tim.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Triboy has been modding a GN 250 for his girlfriend & I think it has worked out pretty well. My wife started off on a Kawi BR250 they are pretty rare & the bars are clip on style but I tried it on dirt roads & it was fine. Watched Xerasawhatsit on his CB250rs, he scared the shit out of me but went really well on gravel. So maybe you look for an older single cyl commuter , change tyres & bobs your uncle so to speak.
    My wife is 5'2" & we couldnt get any trail bike to suit, ended up with a 250GPZ so no dirt roads for her

Bike
    DRZ400
    Hey Tim, I was in at Norjo's on Saturday looking for something similar and the new generation of KLX250S that has just come in may fit your bill. They have one in there at present and said that it is pretty easy to do a mod to the dog-bones on the suspension and you can lower the bike.

They are $8k on the road.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Triboy did a 250 volty up for kanny for there adventure rides, does the business.
    worth a look http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62494

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    While it is not optimal for suspension operation the dogbones are not hard to manufacture with the intent of lowering the bike. The front forks can often be slid up enough but may need some internal changes as well. I know of two DR650's with longer dog bones, slid forks as well as lowest factory settings.

I can't think of any other bikes in that would suit. Best of luck finding a bike.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Gas gas pampera......? very light (just over 100kg) very capable userfriendly quality bike witha very very low and narrow seat......
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by trustme
    Triboy has been modding a GN 250 for his girlfriend & I think it has worked out pretty well. My wife started off on a Kawi BR250 they are pretty rare & the bars are clip on style but I tried it on dirt roads & it was fine. Watched Xerasawhatsit on his CB250rs, he scared the shit out of me but went really well on gravel. So maybe you look for an older single cyl commuter , change tyres & bobs your uncle so to speak.
    My wife is 5'2" & we couldnt get any trail bike to suit, ended up with a 250GPZ so no dirt roads for her
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    Triboy did a 250 volty up for kanny for there adventure rides, does the business.
    worth a look http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62494
    Thanks guys. Yep, I've seen TB's posts re the Volty and chatted to him regarding it during the Passes Ride earlier this year. Part of his modifications was to increase the ride height which would probably work against us. Also we'd prefer to stick with a 21" front wheel .... Cheers.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Hey Tim, I was in at Norjo's on Saturday looking for something similar and the new generation of KLX250S that has just come in may fit your bill. They have one in there at present and said that it is pretty easy to do a mod to the dog-bones on the suspension and you can lower the bike.

They are $8k on the road.
    Thanks Nigel. Yes we've looked at the new KLX but it's way higher to start with - 890 or 900 mm seat height from memory, and lowering it might get it down towards wot the other bikes are. You got plans for the Brass? Struan mentioned what he's planning? Cheers.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    While it is not optimal for suspension operation the dogbones are not hard to manufacture with the intent of lowering the bike. The front forks can often be slid up enough but may need some internal changes as well. I know of two DR650's with longer dog bones, slid forks as well as lowest factory settings.

I can't think of any other bikes in that would suit. Best of luck finding a bike.

Cheers R
    Thanx R. Helen of Troy's is the lowest DR I'm aware of and that's still too high. Sportzone say they cannot do anything for the DR200 in the rear other than screw off preload. The XT's seem they might be the best bet, can have the dogbones done but with the amount of drop we require would require the rear shock & spring shortened as well, and the same at the front. The thing is nobody is prepared to say that they can do it. The Honda prolink isn't as easy. There's a lowering kit for the 'real' CRF230, but it's a different bike from the CRF230L although some components carry over. Nobody is able to tell me if the lower linkage & geometery is the same which if it was the lowering kit would be interchangable. A new wife might be cheaper!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Gas gas pampera......? very light (just over 100kg) very capable userfriendly quality bike witha very very low and narrow seat......
    Thanks. I'll check it out. Road legal? Cheers.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    My DR250 (85 model) is very low, mrs can get both feet on the ground. I'll try and get out the tape tomorrow and measure it up. No feckin way its as tall as the net says

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Thanks. I'll check it out. Road legal? Cheers.
    Yes they are...street and sport in manchesterstreet christchurch are listed as agents/dealers.
    All the NZ bike magazines had very positive write-ups on the little pampera, I'm sure you can find some on the net.
    It was said at the time that the gas gas had the lowest seat available in that market..(and lowest weight)....numbers on paper don't tell the whole story, I have seen one in real life, and was very impressed...Hope you manage to have a look at one...
    Good luck
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Thanx R. Helen of Troy's is the lowest DR I'm aware of and that's still too high.
    J's DR650 is lower than Helens but Js seat has been modded so is a little wider now which doesn't help. I'm pretty sure you'd stil find it to tall. We can lower it further but it would involve shortening the suspension stroke and the belly to ground clearance will start to suffer more.

Sportzone say they cannot do anything for the DR200 in the rear other than screw off preload. The XT's seem they might be the best bet, can have the dogbones done but with the amount of drop we require would require the rear shock & spring shortened as well, and the same at the front. The thing is nobody is prepared to say that they can do it. The Honda prolink isn't as easy. There's a lowering kit for the 'real' CRF230, but it's a different bike from the CRF230L although some components carry over. Nobody is able to tell me if the lower linkage & geometery is the same which if it was the lowering kit would be interchangable.
    You need to go spend some time with Linton at Dirt Action Services.
    He can pretty much lower anything within reason. That includes dismantiling and modifying shocks and forks and lengthing dogbones.
    I have also seen them use a low profile knobby tyre to grab a few more millimeters.
    Trouble is he is busy so these things can take a while, never tell him you are not in a hurry.
    DAS... ph.03 389 0080.

Old twin shock bikes are often lower too, but they don't usually handle as well and might need a bit of an overhaul if you find one.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Old twin shock bikes are often lower too, but they don't usually handle as well and might need a bit of an overhaul if you find one.
    They handle fine.
    Untill you ride something more modern

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    .......Linton at Dirt Action Services..........
    Trouble is he is busy so these things can take a while, never tell him you are not in a hurry.
    DAS... ph.03 389 0080......
    Put it another way - you always need it in a hurry! At best things can take a month. He does do very good work and he is very informative to talk to.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Thread Information