Thread: Anyone have a rivet tool?

Bike
    2002 Honda Hornet 900

Anyone have a rivet tool?

Hey, was just wondering if anyone has a rivet tool for a chain? I've just changed my sprockets and put a new chain on but I'm a bit worried about the clip... would like to get the chain riveted just for piece of mind.

Bike
    2002 Honda Hornet 900
    Don't worry, sortta fucked the clip a bit, was still ok though but got a link link pack from colemans and they put it on for me

Found out I hadn't compressed the link on tight enough so the master clip wasn't going on properly... may have ended up nasty!

Bike
    Too many to count
    good on ya for getting in checked out

too many guys go "she'll be right" and have things go horribly, horribly wrong

Bike
    2002 Honda Hornet 900
    Yea... didn't want to be one of those guys! Already had one big spill, that's enough for me.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    This could've been the appropriate time for me to trot out my "Why it's not as good an idea as it might first seem to use a laminate trimmer and low-spec grinding wheel thingo to grind the pins off the master link on your bike's drivechain" story.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2002 Honda Hornet 900
    How does that story go? Do tell! I managed to get the old chain off via my Brothers sledgehammer.... hahaha. Who needs and expensive chain breaker?

Bike
    2002 Honda Hornet 900
    .... my driveway doesn't look to flash for it though.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalor View Post
    How does that story go? Do tell! I!
    It's the "Short Lunchtime, Long Story" thread.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    flippy
    Blog Entries
    hmm.
    i just spend 4 hours going over the vfr.

that new shock(the standard one outa the bike ive been riding) is about 100 times better then the old one!
    when i jump up and down once i dont bounce 3 times anymore!

should do wonders for sunday

your not the guy that i was talking to in my lab are you?

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalor View Post
    How does that story go? Do tell! I managed to get the old chain off via my Brothers sledgehammer.... hahaha. Who needs and expensive chain breaker?
    i once used an angle grinder to remove a chain link... did a nice job too.

would've been easier to just wait till monday and get the shop to do it though

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Angle grinder to take the heads off the pins is pretty much standard practice . Endorsed by none other than that renowned firm of motorcycle artificers, Messrs Bashit and Bodger.

I have the rivet tool thingy should anyone require it. You break it or lose the vital bits , you replace it. You still need to grind the heads off the pins on big chains though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Angle grinder to take the heads off the pins is pretty much standard practice . Endorsed by none other than that renowned firm of motorcycle artificers, Messrs Bashit and Bodger.
    haha, yeah, i had a pleasant surprise the other day in mt eden motorcycles when i saw a video playing of someone adjusting the spring preload on the rear shock...

now i always assumed my method of "this tool is useless - where's my screwdriver and hammer? - hrmm that seems to be munting it but it works way batter" was the n00b way to go about it, but there i saw some pros doing it themselves! plus i had better tools; they had this wussy as screw driver, while i had my westie screwdriver! (the 8mm square bar sort that's been forged by bench grinder and hammer several times after chipping it using as a lever/chisel/wedge/hammer/scribe/spring preload adjuster/"stabber"/paint mixer/bottle opener/fork/allen key/screwdriver)

Bike
    2004 snow white, k1 beast
    any one knows how much a new chain for my gsx would be?? think il need one soon.... hahah

and can anyone tell me where i can find my fuse box??
    Terrorist are people too.....

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by ehab2weelr View Post
    any one knows how much a new chain for my gsx would be?? think il need one soon.... hahah

and can anyone tell me where i can find my fuse box??
    depends on how much you spend - anywhere from $50 to $150+ for just the chain

but i'd strongly recommend A: replacing the sprockets along with it to get maximum life from the new chain and to save you doing those in 3 months anyway, and B: buy the most expensive shit you can (within reason), as it will last many times longer than a cheap chain, making it cheaper in the long term, more reliable and much less hassle as you hardly ever need tension it.

i've got a sprocket set you can examine that were still good before the new $60 chain ruined them (and the chain) and left my mate stranded at the top of muriwai beach - and there's probably a thread up from me bitching about having to tighten my old chain (the one that came with my bike) weekly until i ran out of adjustment

and fuse box should be under your seat somewhere

Thread Information