FransAlp 700
    Teh interwebs are working again!

It may be another week before teh fones are working again though

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Teh interwebs are working again!

It may be another week before teh fones are working again though
    Crazy times eh? No phone, internet or power here for 4 days. Road out to Westport blocked by over 250 fallen trees over the Karamea Bluff. Lines reported to be 10+ days to be repaired, Karamea is running on numerous temporary generators, seems to be holding up ok though, a good effort by the linemen working overtime to get things sorted. Good job lads

Insane winds, watching tree after tree be uprooted and fall was something else, a little unnerving at times of the intense gusts. With all the trees down the view has changed, dramatically...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    We didn't have any wind to speak of. Although one of my gumboots got a little damp by the front door.

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Quote Originally Posted by RemoteMoto View Post
    Crazy times eh? No phone, internet or power here for 4 days. Road out to Westport blocked by over 250 fallen trees over the Karamea Bluff. Lines reported to be 10+ days to be repaired, Karamea is running on numerous temporary generators, seems to be holding up ok though, a good effort by the linemen working overtime to get things sorted. Good job lads

Insane winds, watching tree after tree be uprooted and fall was something else, a little unnerving at times of the intense gusts. With all the trees down the view has changed, dramatically...
    Shit! sounds like it hit really hard down there.
    I didnt even have to take my boat back to its safe mooring and we got just the right amount of rain to soak everything and keep the hydro running.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    We didn't have any wind to speak of. Although one of my gumboots got a little damp by the front door.
    That's surprising, I thought Nelson had some pretty fierce winds; your hospital lost its roof!! http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9956...tains-its-grip

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Shit! sounds like it hit really hard down there.
    I didnt even have to take my boat back to its safe mooring and we got just the right amount of rain to soak everything and keep the hydro running.
    Glad to hear your water motorbike is safe =) Amazing how there was little wind your's and Nordiboy's way when, when just 80km away (as a crow flies) were 140km gusts and serious damage. I came through to Chch today and saw first hand the number of trees down along the Coast. Not just single trees, large areas decimated. Quite sad, but then again, just a cycle of nature. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9975...-Coast-forests

Bike
    91 R80GS
    It was more the direction of the wind. We have many trees next to us & are quite exposed but none came down. The centre of town got a hammering. From the damage it is almost like a tornado hit - but it wasn't. All the tree gangs were out in force yesterday
    When the other big storm hit a couple of year ago customers on the other side of town hadn't noticed the wind- it seemed to skirt around them.

Here's a good vid

In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    01 XR650R

How far can you get up the Aniseed valley?

Hi people I'm interested in getting up to have a look at the old Champion copper mine/smelter up the Aniseed valley. I know you can get to the smelter on a mountain bike, but how far could i get my XR? There must be a gate up there somewhere and my lardy ass isn't going to lift it over any of them. Topo maps does show a vehicle track almost as far as the bottom of the United mine gully though.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by madmartin View Post
    Hi people I'm interested in getting up to have a look at the old Champion copper mine/smelter up the Aniseed valley. I know you can get to the smelter on a mountain bike, but how far could i get my XR? There must be a gate up there somewhere and my lardy ass isn't going to lift it over any of them. Topo maps does show a vehicle track almost as far as the bottom of the United mine gully though.
    Had a poke around there on the GS a few weeks ago. Everything was a deadend. One track may have gone further, but I wasn't game to cross the creek on my lonesome.

Edit. So no help whatsoever really.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    01 XR650R
    spent the avo putting the motard kit on... great fun up the wangas... time to take it off again

it does look like the gate just before that ford is locked, well it's marked as locked on the map anyway. If thats the case you'd have at least a 3km walk to the smelter site, fair bit more up to either mine

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Did you get back 1/2 hr ago or so? Heard a ruckus going along in front of our place & saw 2 thumpers silhouetted against the darkening sky.

Bike
    01 XR650R
    was out with a mate on his monster, but was about 5 i guess. Might have been us. Saw that bastard orange cop car on our way out... that thing is bloody hard to spot

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by madmartin View Post
    was out with a mate on his monster, but was about 5 i guess. Might have been us. Saw that bastard orange cop car on our way out... that thing is bloody hard to spot
    Yep must have been yous. Apparently the cop that has to drive that thing feels like he has drawn the short straw. Watch the speed tolerance bro.

Bike
    01 XR650R
    i have no sympathy for the revenue gathering wankers, there's nothing in their roading policy that makes it a safer place to be

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    That orange car is supposed to be easier to see. Bollocks it is.

Orange bikes are bad enough anyway.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    01 XR650R
    the saddest bit of "its easier to see" is the exact type of fascist ballocks the dumbed down public lap right up

Thread Information