Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton: Better suburbs

Bike
    ZX14

Hamilton: Better suburbs

Hi possible move to Hamilton next year,to those that live or have lived in Hamilton which suburbs are considered the better ones for a young family(kids under 5) or are there any suburbs to avoid?Schooling obviously important for the kids,reasonably close to shops a bonus,the houses in the new sub-divisions around Rototuna look ok looking on trademe??I know the roads are good so that's me sorted.Any advice most appreciated.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Used to live up that end of town myself - been out of there four and a half years now.

Rototuna is new and fresh and has a new school and another on the way. It is a little trendy still and you will see lots of major mortgage holders there....that said, there are plenty of good shops and the schools are good too. Traffic to and from city centre is thick morning and evening.
    There are plenty of other areas that are also good - other side of the river - St Andrews, Pukete are also OK. Hamilton East is older but fine and closer to centre of town.
    On the other hand, probably Melville and Nawton are lower decile areas but even there, there are pockets of pretty reasonable housing etc. If you go beyond Melville, into Glenview (where I live now) there is also some nice housing. Shops are fewer but traffic in and out of town is less than from the Northeast. And there's some choice riding out southwest of the city....Choice of schools is more limited, although I have taught at Hamilton West and really enjoyed that school.
    To the west is Dinsdale which is mostly OK but you need to look more closely to find an area you like. Fraser High is out that way - the principal is something of a 'local focal point'......if you get my meaning.......
    You really need to come have a look yourself to know where you feel comfortable.....please feel free to pm me if you want more detailed info......

Bike
    None any more
    Since when has the Tron had "suburbs"?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Not long after we got that new fangled 'lectricity all you fancy folks been jabbering about.

Bike
    ZX14
    Thanks slofox,your info has given us a good starting point,will definitely pm you when we get serious about finding a home.Any general comments about living in the Waikato,good or bad,we would like to hear them.cheers

Bike
    '03 FXD
    I hope you like fog!!!
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    DR650
    Rototuna/Flagstaff is the newer part of town. There is a new primary school out this way called Te Totara primary. As your kids are young it would be best to get into this school zone. A new high school is being built in a couple or so years over here and a library, swimming pool and shopping centre. As for the traffic, ride your bike, to easy.If your down this way let me know and I'll give you a tour. May take a while we have traffic lights now, oh and the V8 Supercars for another 6 years
    Rolling stones gather no moss.

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Best 'burb in Hamilton?

Simple - Cambridge!

Bike
    DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Best 'burb in Hamilton?

Simple - Cambridge!
    If your over 60
    Rolling stones gather no moss.

Bike
    SLOW ONE
    were out the back of gordonton, couple of good schools out this way not that close to the shops, but its only 20mins to rototuna 20mins to hunlty and 20mins from morrinsville, decided we didnt want to live in the neighbours pocket so got out of the city a bit and paid less out here for 1900sqm then you could get a 600sqm in any area, only downfall is shops not 5mins up road but partner works in te rapa and if anything is needed its not a hassle for her to get before heading home, you working down here or commuting to akld?
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST SO WHEN YOU DIE YOUR FRIENDS DONT HAVE TO LIE AT YOUR FUNERAL

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXONE View Post
    I hope you like fog!!!
    ....and bogans

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    ....and bogans
    We are proud of our bogans down here.

We are out on the Hillcrest side of Hammy. Just a bit out of town. Good schools near by. Not too far from shops and the like. Out where we are, broadband is patchy to say the least. Even by NZ standards.

I like living in the Waikato. Not a bad pace of life. You can choose rat race or a little more laid back if you like. Hammy has got good cafes, resturants and the like. Attract the odd international performers.

V8's as mentioned, Crusty Demons, Symphony Orchestras even that damn oval ball game gets played round here. We have a lovely cricket ground (Seddon Park), if we didnt stink so much at it it would be a good day out, also you might very well be riding. Good days for cricket and good days for riding are remarkably similar.

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    Once we've discussed Hamilton's best suburbs, can we please discuss:
    Best STDs &
    Best Dictator
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I lived in Hamilton from 1977 till 1994. Yes, I know - shocking, but true. I lived firstly in Hillcrest, then Hamilton East, then fFrom '84 till '94, we lived in Pukete. It was pretty good living there, apart from the occasional whiff of the poo ponds when the weather conditions were right.
    Asamatteroffact, all my mutant spawn are Hamiltronians by birth.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Whatever that suburb is to the left just as you enter the hole. Quasi's zone.

No idea about the area, besides the fact that it has a metric fuckton of roundabouts and lovely sweepy corners.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Thread Information