Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a quiet helmet please.

Bike
    Old classic thing

Recommendations for a quiet helmet please.

Time to replace my 1997 Shoei X-Ceed.

Although it's had very little use - only previously used for car racing it's driving me bloody mad with the high pitched wind noise now I am riding a bike - no combination of air vent positions quietens it. (I had ringing in my ears and a headache after a two hour ride in the weekend)

Other than the noise it's a lovely light helmet and perfect fit for me.

Here's my wish list.

1. White for higher visibility and so I get mistaken by cagers for a cop with my fluro jacket. (Maybe then I 'll get some more road room - although I might get some of them slamming on their brakes in front of me to slow down to the speed limit?)
    2. Quiet. I suspect I can't test ride them on the motorway before handing over my dosh. I think my current noisey helmet is dangerous because I can't hear what the bike is doing or what's going on around me over the wind screech.
    3. Flip face would be nice but might be more noisey?
    4. Light weight
    5. ECE 22-05 or five star sharp rated. ( I suspect a better guide to safety than price or what it's made of). I am not a fan of Snell ratings.
    6. Easy to undo with gloves on.

Many thanks in advance I really appreciate your suggestions.

Bike
    XJR 1300
    buy a whisper kit , slips around lower edge of hat, tucks into neckcoller ,
    and as for a fliptop hummm even more noiser ...
    and even with earplugs you should be able to feel rather than hear your bike ...... unless its a big air cool bike , then it won't matter what you have on your mullet you'll hear it .... yea...
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    buy a whisper kit , slips around lower edge of hat, tucks into neckcoller ,
    and as for a fliptop hummm even more noiser ...
    and even with earplugs you should be able to feel rather than hear your bike ...... unless its a big air cool bike , then it won't matter what you have on your mullet you'll hear it .... yea...
    Should I be wearing ear plugs? won't this stop me hearing screeching brakes heading towards me and bits falling off my bike, etc?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblyas View Post
    Should I be wearing earplugs? won't this stop me hearing screeching brakes heading towards me and bits falling off my bike, etc?
    Fuck yeah. It's completely impossible for me to ride more than ten minutes, or at speeds over 80k without earplugs - helmet noise is like a 130dB subwoofer. There won't BE anyone coming towards you coz you are faster than anyone. If you bike is still going forward after something fell off then you didn't need that bit. If the bike stopa, go back and get the bit and stick it back on.

Get some roll up earplugs and try them. There are good ones and suck ones, so try a couple of different brands. After you roll them down, get your bf to lick them so they slide in your ears easily, or lick them yourself. Nice.

Or else soften some blutack and mold that in your outer ear. Don't put it too far in or you will need your bf again to get it out.

HTH
    Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    XJR 1300
    Fuck You's Hear That nose Fuck won't matter what ya's wearing its gona Hurt .....

air pressure levels are high .. so some different brands of helmets are quieter ... however they are only helmets ....... not earmuffs ... sorry ... bits falling off ya's "BIKE" shit then i'll spend a few dollars and buy a ringspanner set and check and tighten before riding Fuck Ya's not want your brake cali's falling off
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    XR200
    Some people don't use earplugs but I have for 20 years and always do if I'm going on the open road. Never found it a problem to hear whats going on but really, the eyes are the dominant sense, followed by your hands and feet.

There are some quiet helmets and others will post advice. Nevertheless try earplugs anyway.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    yep

earplugs FTW

i don't leave home without 'em unless im just pootling around town, i feel naked without them when im touring
    F M S

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Earbuddies will attenuate loud wind noise but you can still hear reasonably well..

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Don't buy a Shoei X-Spirit if you want a quiet helmet... I've got one, and it's fairly noisy. The quietest Shoei I've had was the XR800. I've since had an XR900, Z-Two and the present one, none of which were as quiet as the 800
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    rs125, kdx200, bucket
    yup just get a helmet that fits and go get yourself some ear plugs. youl still hear those tires screching.

Bike
    Old classic thing
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It Seems like the consensus is wear ear plugs. I also like the sound of slimjims suggestion of a whisper kit.

I did some experimenting today while riding and putting my hands up to my neck to deflect air and stop it whistling between the bottom of my helmet and the top of my shoulders seems to stop about 70% of the noise. However riding like this makes the Waitakere scenic road more challenging - so need a solution where I can get through the corners easier.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Shoei Multitech Flip front.

$699 and comes with clear visor, light smoke visor, whisper kit.
    Very good value for money.

Worth a look.
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It Seems like the consensus is wear ear plugs. I also like the sound of slimjims suggestion of a whisper kit.
    Yep, ear plugs are the go. I've also got a Shoei XR1000 with the Shoei whisper kit - it helps but you still need the plugs. There are aftermarket whisper kits that'll fit a range of helmets too.

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Bills View Post
    Shoei Multitech Flip front.

$699 and comes with clear visor, light smoke visor, whisper kit.
    Very good value for money.

Worth a look.
    Yikes. Is it made of gold or something?? I got a spare FFM flip-front a few weeks ago, admittedly old stock, for $100. Should have ordered 2.

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    I did some experimenting today while riding and putting my hands up to my neck to deflect air and stop it whistling between the bottom of my helmet and the top of my shoulders seems to stop about 70% of the noise. .
    Good man! The day i did that i realised too where all the noise was coming from and so immediately started wearing my self-designed "Whisper Kit". Most people think that noise comes from the shape of the helmet when in fact it comes from that vortex right under your ear.

Buy a long acrylic scarf from Farmers, mine goes to my knees when draped around my neck. Put the helmet on, then wrap each side of the scarf around your neck gap twice and tuck it into itself. It completely fills the gap between helmet and shoulders and cuts out ALL the wind noise.

THEN (as well) I wear Plugz for Lugz which are rated at 45dB (most of the others are 25dB). I still hear the bike, I still hear traffic, I hear cars too close but I don't get wind and other extraneous damaging noise - while I talk on the phone that's wired into my flip-face Nolan N102 or chat to Nasty on our bike-to-bike bluetooth comms.

Thread Information