Thread: All down hill

Bike
    08, Ninja 250R

All down hill

What’s the go with down hill braking? With steep hills when going down it changes from front brakes being the biggest % of stopping power to the back? Is that correct?

Joke:
    • A police officer pulled over two nuns riding on a motorcycle, and said to the rider, 'Ma'am, you're driving much too slowly, could you please drive faster?"
    • And the nun says, 'Oh, I saw the sign with the "21" and assumed the speed limit was 21 km/h"
    • The officer explains: 'No ma'am, the speed limit is 80. The highway number is Interstate 21."
    • Then the police officer look at the passenger and see the other nun shaking like a leaf.
    • "Excuse me sister, but what's wrong with your passenger?"
    • "Oh, that's probably because we just got off Highway 205."
    Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking. ~Author Unknown

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    not quite correct. When going downhill the front brake is even more effective than the back one. The thing you may be getting confused about is that if the hill is too steep (like more than 45 degrees) then under braking the effective center of gravity will move further forward in relation to the wheels and may result in going over the handlebars.

I have only ever experienced this once and that was riding down the widowmaker at Ohakuri. I don't believe there are any roads in New Zealand steep enough to cause this to happen.
    Last edited by Jantar; 22nd November 2008 at 19:04.
    Time to ride

Bike
    08, Ninja 250R
    So you still use the front for most of the stoping power.
    Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking. ~Author Unknown

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Engine braking!

Bike
    . .
    Yes definitely....... Even on gravel.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas shrugged View Post
    So you still use the front for most of the stoping power.
    Absolutely.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Front brake is your main stopper , even downhill. As Mr Jantar says, hard braking on a steep down slope may unsettle the machine , in theory enough to send you over the bars, but I don't think that could ever happen in reality. However, even short of that point, the weight transfer forward can unsettle the machine and make control difficult. Counter this by moving your weight back (slide back on the seat), and grip the tank firmly with your knees. Keep your arms bent if possible, do not let thme take your weight . On some machines it may help to rise somewhat on the pegs. Brake firmly but steadily.

My license test, many many years ago was apparently easy. Except that I had to do an emergency stop half way down a steep, rutted gravel road. And he would fail you if you did not use the front brake. I suspect many people would fail that test nowdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information