Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bike - but which one?

Bike
    Looking for my first

First bike - but which one?

Hi all,

I'm buying a my first bike next week (yipee!!)

I travel 100km each day, and comfort is far more important than speed

4 new-bike options are
    1. Yahama 225 scorpio
    2. Suzuki 250 intruder (VL250)
    3. Yamaha Virago 250
    4. Kawasaki Ninja 250 (seems a bit too evil for a first bike?)

I'm really interested in all views.....i.e. pro's and con's

Thanks
    Steve

Bike
    none
    Blog Entries
    Take them all for a ride mate, when you ride the one you want to buy you will know.Happy hunting

Welcome by the way

Bike
    FJR 1300
    Welcome to KB, yep they are all good bikes, what sort of riding do you want to do?, answer that question and it will go some way to helping decide what type of bike you want.
    if you can test ride all of them.

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    Mate, they're all great bikes, and all suitable for a learner, the thing you want to ask yourself is, what kind of riding will you be doing?

The Ninja will be great if you also want to take it out on the weekend, and have a bit of fun in the corners, The Intruder and Virago are great if you want to relax for a bit, and take the scenic route, and the Scorpio would make a brilliant commuter.

Take them all out, don't just buy with your head, but what you also have the most fun on.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Ninja! Will be the most satisfying in the long run.
    You need to pick a profile first, cruiser, standard, sport etc

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Do you travel into the city and back each day? What time? Commuting buddies FTW haha. Completely depends if you're keen on sport or cruiser. Sit on one of each type and see what you'd rather be on.

Bike
    Soursaki
    Welcome to KB

If you have no experience at all on bikes then the Scorpio would be my pick for a complete newby. I road a GN for a year and 25000km before I got my ninja 250 and it was a good cheap progression to a faster bike.

No bins and no tickets have added to a fun 2 years of riding. I just rode the back roads and mostly by myself to reduce the need for straight-line speed.

However if you want to pass, maintain 100km/hr into a westerly and up big hills then the two cylinder options you have listed will be the ticket as the single cylinder scorpio will struggle a bit to meet your highway needs. Just take it easy for the first year especially into tight corners and you will be fine on the more powerful (relative) 250s.

Which one you choose out of the 3 twins you are considering will come down to cruiser vs sports - looks, handling and riding position. Although the ninja is pretty comfortable and would be quicker than the cruisers which is good on the open road when you need to pass. The ninja is not the same beast as the 4 cylinder race style bike that can be bought second hand. The new one is a more newby friendly bike.

There are a few of the gpx 250s on trademe which are good buying, lots of yellow 2001-2002 models for less than $4000 and black and red 2006-2007 models for $4500-5000. They are the model before the 2008 updated ninja. Very similar bike and good value second hand if you can get one for around $4000. Like this example http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-188035427.htm

Bike
    08, Ninja 250R
    I hade the same problem chooing just a month or so ago

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplank View Post
    Ninja 250 (seems a bit too evil for a first bike?)
    I vote for the Ninja but I am a bit bias as that is what I have, it's a nice bike to lean on dont let the look put you off.

They are all good bikes,
    In the end I would just get what you like the look and feel of.

It dose not take long to want to try something bigger though I think in hindsight I would not have got a new bike but a older one and saved the money for a bigger and better one when I get my full license. But then patients has never been my best quality!
    Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking. ~Author Unknown

Bike
    NONE!!! :(
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplank View Post
    Hi all,

I'm buying a my first bike next week (yipee!!)

I travel 100km each day, and comfort is far more important than speed

4 new-bike options are
    1. Yahama 225 scorpio
    2. Suzuki 250 intruder (VL250)
    3. Yamaha Virago 250
    4. Kawasaki Ninja 250 (seems a bit too evil for a first bike?)

I'm really interested in all views.....i.e. pro's and con's

Thanks
    Steve
    Hey, Welcome..

I was posting very very similar questions only 6 weeks ago... This is an excellent place to get help and information, I've found it invaluable !

As the others have said, it's a matter of style of bike (cruiser / sports etc), then just go sit on a few, check out how they feel, even get test rides (assuming you've got your learners ?)..
    I went up to Mount Eden Motorcycles, had a good chat with them there.. I tried the Ninja, very nice, but I found myself very much hunched over (i'm 6'1") and as a learner I didn't feel that the riding position gave me very good visibility. I then took out the Hyo GT250 (that I now own), and it had a much better position for me, (higher bars) and was a bulkier bike (so i looked less of a tit on it). I also had a go on the Scorpio... and to be honest, whilst it was VERY friendly, I just felt like I was on a slightly glorified scooter, very little grunt to shift my fat ass around...

So, just get out there and have a look / play... We've all got our opinions.. and often we're biased towards our own bikes

I would say though, spend some money on decent gear, hopefully you wont need to use it's protection, but you want it there in case you do !

Have fun mate... Buying your first bike is really cool... I remember riding mine home the first day, couldn't shift the grin on my face...

Bike
    XJR 1300
    and dude don't just go for a blat around the block....try each one from roughly the same distance ...what's 5 bucks gas in the tank...better to ride each one for a couple of hours as its not something you can quickly change if you want a loss in money valve wise...
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    a red heap
    have you considered a GSXR1000?

Bike
    :-( none at present
    Welcome mate. go to the shop sit on the ones you like try and go for a test ride talk to the sales guys.... Most of them will be bikers. Let them know how far you will be going each day. They are there to help and trying to get a sale.
    you buy the bike that best suits your needs and budget.
    Good luck. The main thing is you are getting a bike
    If you are behind meDont ask as I am lost too.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    Like the others have said on here, take them all out for a test ride and see which 1 impresses you the most as what suits 1 person doesn't suit another. I am really enjoying riding my Ninja and if you buy 1 of these brand new you have to run it anyway like any new bike you buy. Goodluck with whatever bike you finish up buying and may you have loads of fun and safe rides on it.

Bike
    87 CBR 600
    Hi and welcome.
    My first bike was a GSX 250 (sports/tourer) I both commuted and did decent rides on the weekends. I never outgrew the bike in cornering (mind I am a nana) in the end it was the power to overtake etc that I needed more of, but you will get that with most 250's.
    Good luck. Might see you out there one day
    Swinging - My new found passion. It Rocks!.. And rolls! I want MORE!

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Highway riding, uphills or if you weigh more than 80Kgs - go for a twin (rules the scorpio out).

If you don't mind buying second hand - also look at the Honda VTR250.

If you are travelling 100Kms - I'm assuming 50Kms each way. Therefore whatever bike you settle on you need to feel comfortable for at least ... 1 hour? Don't feel like you should only test ride for 5 minutes. It won't highlight any discomfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information