Page 373 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 2733233633713723733743753834234738731373 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    ....Jack needed more speed (!!) however, and had Arvil build him a 1500 lb thrust version. This engine, crafted of stainless steel, was 10" long by 7" diameter. The hydrogen peroxide was forced through a catalyst pack made of silver and nickel screens. Superheated steam produced by the reaction at 300 PSI escaped through a 2 " diameter nozzle
    Please tell me how to generate 1500 lb of thrust with 300 psi and a 2" nozzle, then I will contact Boeing, Lockheed, Airbus and NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    ... The Jamathi was built by a small team of friends
    A very small team: JAn THIel and MArtin Mijwaart, aided by rider Paul Lodewijkx who in 1968 rode the home-built Jamathi single to beat 50cc world champion Anscheidt on his 14-speed works Suzuki twin.

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    Good to see you look at mxworksbike website Frits, (that is the only disc valve Honda ever seen it's not even on display at the Collection Hall at Motegi )

13 ports is the most I have jammed into a H100/MB100 cylinder

How's everyones Italian? This is a overview on how to cast a cylinder the old fashioned way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj4h9...eature=related

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    How's everyones Italian? This is a overview on how to cast a cylinder the old fashioned way
    Great video. But you better start here: it is a series of three videos, and very, very instructive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-2rJ...eature=related
    By the way, the leading actor, Gabriele Gnani, is one of the founding fathers of the new Continental Championship Race Tech, CCRT.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Please tell me how to generate 1500 lb of thrust with 300 psi and a 2" nozzle, then I will contact Boeing, Lockheed, Airbus and NASA..
    I didn't see that but too late ..... the jet Kart advertising copy writers have patented it already ....

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    My new watercooled H100 is up to 11 ports but I'm seriously looking at 12 & 13. I'm gonna try adding them to another engine first just to see if there is any advantage.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    My new watercooled H100 is up to 11 ports but I'm seriously looking at 12 & 13...
    That is like putting cooling fins inside the ducts. Think about it...

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Hmmm good idea, thats something for TeeZee to think about, he has already been looking at ice water cooling of the inlet side just before the carb with a CPU fan and heat sink inside a still air box.

Bike
    husaberg

Bike
    Several
    Good to see you look at mxworksbike website Frits, (that is the only disc valve Honda ever seen it's not even on display at the Collection Hall at Motegi )

My new watercooled H100 is up to 11 ports but I'm seriously looking at 12 & 13. I'm gonna try adding them to another engine first just to see if there is any advantage.
    Is that all ports, like 5 inlet, 5 transfer and 3 exhaust or something?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    EngMod2T

I have been looking at exhaust port nozzels, now I would have thought the best arrangement was to have the exhaust port gently opening up starting at the port window and flaring out to the expansion chambers header diameter which is 40mm on my bike(old RS125 chamber).

But EngMod2T and Wobbly tell me that a nozzel shape is what I need for top end and over rev.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24mm Exhaust Port 1.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	252041

First step was to model the exhaust port then click on calc to find the predicted best nozzel diameter.

Name:	24mm Exhaust Port 03.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	252044

You can see that it is less than the effective diameter of the port exhaust port window itself.

I tried nozzel diameters from the diameter of the expansion chamber header at 40mm, 38-36 and 34mm. All other aspects of the model were the same, just the nozzel was changed.

Name:	Nozzels.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	252040

A 34.5mm nozzel (green line) worked the best as the nozzel diameter increased top end and over rev dropped off.

The exhaust port outlet (nozzel) on my bike is currently 40mm, I guess I will be trying a 34.6mm one soon.

Bike
    Several
    Perhaps because of the limited scope offered by the standard design?

Do you think the turbulence created, or the surface area would in some way (Heat transfer, drag effects?) negate the extra inlet/exhaust/transfer area then available?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    TZ400
    The calculator in EngMod was added by Neels after I had done dozens of tests with tripple and T port designs.
    The calculator simply uses 75% of the total effective port area as a guide.
    This always works and always makes alot more power and generally I found that the duct exit should be about the area of the main port alone.
    This usually ends up around 75% of the total ( by taking away the extra area of tripple ports) needed for lots of blowdown - thus power.
    It was never intended to be used with a single port only as I havnt tested that at all, apart from years ago on TD3s etc, and we always went bigger back then, not smaller.
    Theory says that having a smaller duct volume changes the Helmholtz frequency ( higher ) , and reduces the amount of exhaust residuals able to be stored in that duct ( meaning more clean mixture sits close) , but im not sure this theory will apply to making more power with a single port.
    Having said that, a 40mm pipe entry on an engine only making 30 Hp is way too big, so reducing the duct and or header area, or maybe both, will very likely work real well.
    Did you model the nozzle as a short tapered section ( 30mm say) from the duct exit up to the header dia ( as the first section of the pipe) and this is made as an oval to round transition in the flange on T port and tripple port designs.
    Be real interesting to see if the sim reflects reality on a dyno, in your single port scenario TeeZee.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Is that all ports, like 5 inlet, 5 transfer and 3 exhaust or something?
    3 exhaust, 5 transfer, 3 inlet. 2 extra exhausts and 2 extra piston port inlets. I'm considering adding "Boyensen ports" to the transfer passages from the reed block cavity. I'm still thinking about the "cooling fins in the ducts". I'm presuming that if the transfer ports were widened and then a divider devconned in that the divider would act like a fin dividing and directing the flow, and also providing a cool surface. I wasn't thinking of doing that. The basic software I'm using suggests that the transfer ports aren't actually a limiting factor. I've pressed solder onto the port inner radii and then very carefully removed it. The curve looks to be pretty good. The only thing I'm going to do is polish the transfer ports.

I just had an idea - What if the transfer ports were divided vertically into upper and lower sections. You could have the gas flow directed in one direction as the port opened and as the second lower portion opened it's gas flow could be in some other direction. There would not neccessarily be a reduction in gross flow as the port duct could be enlarged to allow for the divider. An advantage is that the upper portion of the port would open first and close last and the gas flow in that smaller duct could contain a lot of energy and maintain an ideal port outlet shape until the piston started closing it off keeping flow rate up. I know someone has already thought of it but I've never seen it. I envisage the divider following the curve of the port right to the duct entry so effectively you will have 2 seperate transfer ports stacked. You could even close off the outer duct leading to the upper portion of the port with a guillotine, if that was a benefit.

Bike
    Several
    3 exhaust, 5 transfer, 3 inlet. 2 extra exhausts and 2 extra piston port inlets. I'm considering adding "Boyensen ports" to the transfer passages from the reed block cavity. I'm still thinking about the "cooling fins in the ducts". I'm presuming that if the transfer ports were widened and then a divider devconned in that the divider would act like a fin dividing and directing the flow, and also providing a cool surface. I wasn't thinking of doing that. The basic software I'm using suggests that the transfer ports aren't actually a limiting factor. I've pressed solder onto the port inner radii and then very carefully removed it. The curve looks to be pretty good. The only thing I'm going to do is polish the transfer ports.

I just had an idea - What if the transfer ports were divided vertically into upper and lower sections. You could have the gas flow directed in one direction as the port opened and as the second lower portion opened it's gas flow could be in some other direction. There would not neccessarily be a reduction in gross flow as the port duct could be enlarged to allow for the divider. An advantage is that the upper portion of the port would open first and close last and the gas flow in that smaller duct could contain a lot of energy and maintain an ideal port outlet shape until the piston started closing it off keeping flow rate up. I know someone has already thought of it but I've never seen it. I envisage the divider following the curve of the port right to the duct entry so effectively you will have 2 seperate transfer ports stacked. You could even close off the outer duct leading to the upper portion of the port with a guillotine, if that was a benefit.
    Gosh, my brain is going to be ticking over quite a bit tonight.

It's great to have so much input from smart bastards on this thread, I'm amazed at how lucky we all are to be exposed to top-notch knowledge.

One thought on the stacked transfer thing; Would the flow suffer really badly - I'm thinking like bridged ex port vs single. I think Bell mentioned for the same area a non-bridged port will flow significantly more. Dunno if that is still current thinking...

Frits - I'm also still thinking about the "cooling fin" comment. Not even sure if you meant it as a + or - now!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    I envisage the divider following the curve of the port right to the duct entry so effectively you will have 2 seperate transfer ports stacked. You could even close off the outer duct leading to the upper portion of the port with a guillotine.
    Very clever ......

Thread Information