Page 463 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 3634134534614624634644654735135639631463 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    TZ400
    So are you guys telling me you cant tune your way out of a brown paper bag?
    What happened.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I can only talk for myself when I put my hand up for a couple of slightly unlucky mistakes aided by no time & no money atm. I'm also questioning my choice of piston (YZ100 std cast) as I can't seem to keep them together at a lowly 12k peak, 12.5 over rev. Looking at Wiseco forged, but they aren't a pretty piston. Heck this is my interim slap together engine with a 51mm compromise. I would have been happy to finish. I was more than happy with qualifying earlier on Saturday. But to finish first, first you have to start the soddin' race

Av's bike didn't make it to practice, Mike's bike showed promise with Dave on board,- well I'll let him tell the story.

3rd & 4th place on the grid were empty come the GP.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    What happened.
    To much Dyno tuning not enough track tuning. It was a white wash. 4T. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. Ok thats my only rub in coz I am genuinely gutted for the lads and Lady's.

Bike
    Honda RS 125 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    What happened.
    It was very strange ,all the bikes should have run rich but they didn't !
    My main was spot on but lean on the pilot and rich on the needle
    In the rain it was running brilliant but in the arvo it lost it's edge
    I'm so pleased to have got home without being lapped even if it was only 300 mts away !

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    I have to say congratulations to the 4-Stroke boys and particular Nick Cain for winning the GP and showing what riding the wheels off your bike looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP winner Nick Cain.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	260431

James H for Second and Andrew A for third after starting from the back of the grid. And Richard Ban (4th) and Regan Griffiths (5th) on his Crazyman framed FXR.

Sure Team ESE and a lot of the other 2-Strokes got our Butts Kicked but off track the 4-Strokers were very social and did every thing they could to help us get out there, they are a great bunch and we enjoyed their company very much.

I thought we were going to pull it off this year, maybe even have all 2-Strokes on the Podium but as the Strokers faded away so did our thoughts of world domination.

But our hopes for at least a Stroker win in the GP were encouraged by the sight of Nathaniel mixing it at the front with Nick and then starting to open up a useful lead only to unseat himself climbing the hill on the infield, after that Nick had no real competition.

Name:	At the GP2012 010.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	260432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5Dave.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	260433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TeeZee.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	260434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speedpro.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	260435

The Pictures tell it all, The 2-Stroke Boys hard at it trying to keep in the game.

Name:	At the GP2012 020.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	260436

While the 4-Strokes looked pretty calm.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    To much Dyno tuning not enough track tuning. It was a white wash. 4T. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. Ok thats my only rub in coz I am genuinely gutted for the lads and Lady's.
    True, to much dyno not enough track time ...... we just have not been able to get the track time needed to sort out the carb, the Beast has a problem coming back onto the throttle after shutting down for a corner.

So what happened to the the Beast at Taupo, well not sure yet. At Te Puke there was a considerable delay after throttling off before the engine came back on song. We changed to what we thought was a better needle for Taupo.

And Kel took it out in the first practice and lap one it seized when he throttled off at the end of the front straight. He came to a stop and it started again. Then going out onto the drag strip it seized again as he throttled of and started easily again after he came to a stop.

Back in the pits we changed to a richer needle and he went out in qualifying and it ran like a dream on full noise and it easily had the legs on anything he came across but it still had the throttling on again delay.

After the session he rode back to the pits and let the engine idle to a stop. After that we could not get it to go again, it looked like it had plenty of compression, there was fuel but the spark was orange and not the blue we expected.

A few pushes and we get backfiring out of the carb and exhaust. The suggestions are bad or fouled plug.

We tried two different new plugs and the spark was still orange, changed the coil and CDI, and the spark was still yellow/orange. Speedpro lent us his special old faithfull plug and then we got a blue spark.

A few pushes and we still get backfiring out of the carb and exhaust. The suggestions are now, the ignition has slipped. So off with the flywheel to check the key, all is ok there.

Now we were lucky that Brent had a timing light and sure the timing looked out, so we were double lucky that Brent also had his laptop and Igntech software so we could look at the setup and try a few things.

Pretty much everyone pitched in and helped but nothing we did made any difference.

So of to have a bit more of a look tonight.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I forgot you took that picture. Don't know why I'm smiling like a loon, - perhaps it is the moment I have just encouraged the ring out of the groove & think I have a chance of getting back in the game, but before I noticed the small piston crack. My bike looks like a total junker next to Brents.

Bike
    Ok just draged the Beast out of the shed, looks like the good compression and colour of the spark at Taupo was a Red Hearing as there is no compression now.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That would be 4 strokers with piston/ring damage. Don't look at me, I didn't jet down.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Ok just draged the Beast out of the shed ... there is no compression now.

Name:	No Plug.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	260438

Oooops no plug .......

I was sure it had plenty of compression at Taupo, anyway got a comp tester onto it and there is 90 psi, enough to feel like plenty when pulling it over on the back wheel but way short of the 160 it was built with.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    well I finger wound a plug back into it to stop the rain getting in. Or maybe you had to give that one back to Mike.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post

Name:	No Plug.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	260438

Oooops no plug .......

I was sure it had plenty of compression at Taupo, anyway got a comp tester onto it and there is 90 psi, enough to feel like plenty when pulling it over on the back wheel but way short of the 160 it was built with.
    come on pull the head off and show us the piston
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    well I finger wound a plug back into it to stop the rain getting in. Or maybe you had to give that one back to Mike.
    Gave that one back to Mike, I guess I didn't put another one in for the trip home.

Name:	Ax Taupo Piston 007.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	260446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax Taupo Piston 002.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	260447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax Taupo Piston 004.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	260448

There is the naughty little sausage, with the ring jammed at the exhaust port.

This must have happened in practice when it seized, amazing the thing ran so well in qualifying, it was still doing a good turn of speed and zipping most things in sight, I guess it just didnt want to go back out there for the main event.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Could it be as simple as the main jet to lean. I know on my bike it was super hard to setup a main on a kart track. I did most of mine on manfield. And plug chopped after 20 seconds of full throttle. Was the new needle lean or richer on the taper? Might be why it works on the kart track and not the big track. never on the main for more than a few seconds. Just a thought. Well at least in my video there are two 2 strokes for a while.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    Could it be as simple as the main jet to lean.
    Not sure, but I did go up a jet size before practice just for safety, we fitted a new plug for qualifying and a reading, the plug looked good. I will know more when I get the piston off and have a look at the underside of the piston crown.

Thread Information