Page 372 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 2723223623703713723733743824224728721372 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,580 of 39428

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    The cores for the exhaust and transfer ducts are not the most difficult parts; it is the cooling waterjacket core that really complicates things when you are planning to cast your own cylinders. In my Aprilia-papers there are CT-scans of the ducts and the cooling void, available as soon as mental trousers has worked out a way to make those data accessible.

You used a CTscan to reverse engineer a cylinder? That's brilliant! I assume it was a medical unit? Did you have any trouble booking time on it or was it a perk? What flavour files did you get?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TZ400
    I have reverse engineered a couple of parts using CT scan.A place on Remuera Rd did the scans for free, as it was interesting to them.
    The big issue is getting the scan data into a format that can be manipulated by a CAD program.
    This in the first instance cost plenty to have done - then my son did a torrent download of a 30K USD program that can take the scan data and turn it into
    a .xt solid for example.
    There are even programs now that can create a constructional element tree that emulates how SolidWorks would have created the part.
    Constructing a cylinder as a solid model from scratch stretches the limits of the system, the programs and the CAD engineers intellect.
    Last one I did took 6 weeks full time.
    Taiwanese companies can now do a one off cylinder casting using Rapid Prototyping with ceramic sand for around 1500USD, about a 1/4 of what the BSL cylinders cost to produce.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Taiwanese companies can now do a one off cylinder casting using Rapid Prototyping with ceramic sand for around 1500USD, about a 1/4 of what the BSL cylinders cost to produce.
    Only US$1,500. It's only a matter of time until they turn up at bucket racing. I can see it now - bridged exhaust port MB100s or even triple exhaust port MB100s, mmmm, blowdown.

Do you have a web page or address?

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Those Wild Rocket Karts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lozano1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	251970 ... a rocket powered Dart Kart from the mid-1960's.

There have been many wild and strange experiments throughout karting’s history. Perhaps the wildest of all were the rocket powered karts of the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Would you believe that in the mid-1960’s the rocket-powered kart pictured above turned the quarter mile at over 150 mph? 0 to 150 in 7.3 seconds! That was Jack McClure with his modified 1963 Rupp Dart Kart powered by a pair of Turbonique T-16 rocket motors.

Name:	rocket2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	251969

These motors, each producing 300 lbs of thrust, used a special kind of monopropellant which the company dubbed "Thermolene" (actually N-Propyl Nitrate). These engines powered the little kart to faster times than rail dragsters of its day.

These engines, however, were also very dangerous and killed many users because under certain conditions they could explode like bombs. Those disasters resulted in the Turbonique factory closing and its owner landing in jail.

Rocket Karts in the 1970's

In 1967, a company called Reaction Dynamics built a record-breaking dragster powered by a 90% hydrogen peroxide rocket motor. This car was the inspiration for many rocket powered vehicle builders in the 70’s, among them (back again!) Jack McClure with a hydrogen peroxide rocket-powered laydown kart. The kart, which resembled a Margay, was actually custom designed by Jack and built by Glenn Blakely of Tampa Florida. Jack fitted this kart with an engine built by Arvil Porter that produced 1000 lbs of thrust.

Name:	mcclure.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	251971Jack McClure's kart with the 1000 lb thrust rocket.

Jack needed more speed (!!) however, and had Arvil build him a 1500 lb thrust version. This engine, crafted of stainless steel, was 10" long by 7" diameter. The hydrogen peroxide was forced through a catalyst pack made of silver and nickel screens. Superheated steam produced by the reaction at 300 PSI escaped through a 2 " diameter nozzle and produced enough thrust to push the little kart to over 215 mph in 6 seconds in the quarter mile.

For stopping, the kart featured disc brakes (for below 100 mph) and a drag chute. The driver’s suit was also fitted with its own parachute in case driver and kart became separated during one of those wild runs. The kart was later sold to Ramon Alvarez who raced the kart for a short time. The kart might still exist to this day.

The 1980's

In 1980, the karting speed envelope was pushed yet further by Australian Rosco McGlashan. Rosco, who at the time was living in the U.S., built and drove a hydrogen peroxide rocket kart that surpassed 253 mph!

Name:	McGlashan1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	251972

Taken from:- http://www.vintagekarts.com/Rockets/Rockets.htm

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    I found that bit on rocket Karts while trying to find out for TeeZee's alky Ariel Arrow project the earliest time hydraulic disk brakes appeared on Go Karts.

If anyone can help, TeeZee is working through the Classic Bike Racing Register registration process and he is particularly interested in brakes from the pre 63 and 76 eras, and would like to know more about the Air Hart brand as seen on Karts and Flat Trackers.

Any documented evidence like old sales brochures or dated photos of Karts/FlatTrackers with hydraulic brakes or Tillotson carbs would be much appreciated.

The plan is to use hydraulic disks and Tillotsons if they can be authenticated as being available in the pre 63 or 76 era.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    I found that bit on rocket Karts while trying to find out for TeeZee Ariel Arrow project the earliest time hydraulic disk brakes appeared on Go Karts.

If anyone can help TeeZee is particularly in the pre 63 and 76 eras, and would like to know more about the Air Hart brand.
    You mean Airheart?
    Why don't you just email the company and ask them
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    You mean Airheart?
    Yes, Airheart ... thanks.

Why don't you just email the company and ask them
    Didn't do to well with Tillotson or the bigger Tilly retailers on the net, but will give it a go with Airheart.

Original sales brochures or dated photos would be interesting in their own right too.

Bike
    husaberg
    I found that bit on rocket Karts while trying to find out for TeeZee's alky Ariel Arrow project the earliest time hydraulic disk brakes appeared on Go Karts.

If anyone can help, TeeZee is working through the Classic Bike Racing Register registration process and he is particularly interested in brakes from the pre 63 and 76 eras, and would like to know more about the Air Hart brand as seen on Karts and Flat Trackers.

Any documented evidence like old sales brochures or dated photos of Karts/FlatTrackers with hydraulic brakes or Tillotson carbs would be much appreciated.

The plan is to use hydraulic disks and Tillotsons if they can be authenticated as being available in the pre 63 or 76 era.
    http://www.nzcmrr.com/events/rules

Rules state they the brakes must be drum.For Pre 63 76 anything goes as long as they were available pre 76.

and not contrary to this rule

• MAJOR COMPONENTS. These will determine age. These are frame and swingarm, engine, fork assembly, gearbox, hubs, brakes, carburettors. No major Japanese components will be accepted.

For the carbs Amal mk2 are not so bad. much much better than mk1's

1. FACTORY BUILT RACING CLASS. Machines built specifically for Grand Prix Racing.
    1. Machines must have been produced and raced by a recognised factory in the period.
    2. Fuel. Open (to MNZ rule) - Alcohol permitted.
    3. Ceriani G.P. forks only permitted in pre 1963 classes if fitted as original factory equipment.
    2. CLUBMANS CLASS PRE 1963. Machines with major components (as per rule 3) not built specifically for racing:
    1. Lights and stands must be removed.
    2. Exhausts. Road type silencers may be retained but if racing exhausts are used they must comply with MNZ rules.
    3. Brakes. No twin leading shoe front brakes, or double-sided front brakes may be used unless fitted as original equipment.
    4. Gear boxes shall have a maximum of four (4) speeds. Ratios may be varied.
    5. Carburettors. Pre 1963 road or racing carburettors or Amal Mk 1 concentric if the original type is not available.
    6. Fuel. Petrol only, up to 100 octane (R.O.N. rating) Avgas or No 1 Racing Fuel permitted.
    7. Fairings are not permitted. A number plate with 'fly screen', of a type fitted as original equipment to a 7R or Manx, is the largest type of front screening allowed.
    8. Capacity. Engines must retain the manufacturers bore and stroke. Maximum allowable overbore is 0.060" (1.5mm). Effective from 31st May 2004.
    3. MODIFIED CLASS PRE 1963. A modified machine must conform to all the general requirements except:
    1. Engine and gearbox to be the same silhouette as pre 1963 machines.
    2. Frame and suspension components built after 1963 may be used provided they are similar in type and style to pre 1963 components.
    3. Wheels must be of wire-spoked type. Maximum rim width 3.5" (inside width).
    4. Brakes may be later model, provided that they are of drum type.
    5. Carburettors. Amal Mk 1 and Mk ll concentric carburettors will be accepted in pre 1963 open and modified class.
    6. Fuel. Open (to MNZ rule) - Alcohol permitted.

• POST CLASSIC MODIFIED CLASS. A Post Classic machine must conform to all the general requirements except:
      • All models of British, European or American motorcycles of a type manufactured pre 1976 are eligible.
      • No Japanese machines. No Japanese major components (as defined in rule 3).
      • Carburettors. Must be of a type manufactured pre 1976. Post Classic Factory Built Racing machines may have Japanese carburettors only if fitted as original Factory equipment.
      • Ignition. Unrestricted.
      • Silencing as per MNZ rule.
      • Brakes. Disc brakes are allowed with a maximum of two pistons per calliper. All brake components must be of a type manufactured pre 1976.
      • Wheels. Maximum rim width 3.5" (inside width). Must be of a type manufactured pre 1976. Cast alloy wheels are permitted only if factory fitted as original equipment for the individual machine and must be of a type available pre 1976.
      • Fuel. Open (to MNZ rule) - Alcohol permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Thanks for the info,

3. MODIFIED CLASS PRE 1963. A modified machine must conform to all the general requirements except:

4. Brakes may be later model, provided that they are of drum type.

Ok, so screwed with the disks here.

5. Carburettors. Amal Mk 1 and Mk ll concentric carburettors will be accepted in pre 1963 open and modified class.

I don’t think this excludes Tillotsons, just allows a later model British carb to be used for availability reasons.

POST CLASSIC MODIFIED CLASS. A Post Classic machine must conform to all the general requirements except:

* All models of British, European or American motorcycles of a type manufactured pre 1976 are eligible.

So by extrapolation, parts used on racing machines of the era are eligible too.

* Carburettors. Must be of a type manufactured pre 1976. Post Classic Factory Built Racing machines may have Japanese carburettors only if fitted as original Factory equipment.

Tillostson ?

* Ignition. Unrestricted.

IgniTech

* Brakes. Disc brakes are allowed with a maximum of two pistons per calliper. All brake components must be of a type manufactured pre 1976.

Airheart hydraulic

* Wheels. Maximum rim width 3.5" (inside width). Must be of a type manufactured pre 1976.

Flat Tracker spool hubs.

Looks like its going to be pre 76, Got to find those photos or sales brouchers.

Bike
    BSA A10
    * Brakes. Disc brakes are allowed with a maximum of two pistons per calliper. All brake components must be of a type manufactured pre 1976.

Airheart hydraulic

Why would you waste your time with Airheart when you can run Brembo 08 as fitted to numerous Ducati/Moto Guzzi/ Eurotrash of that era, calipers are still available new and there are good pad compound choices

* Wheels. Maximum rim width 3.5" (inside width). Must be of a type manufactured pre 1976.

Flat Tracker spool hubs.
    I guess if you have more money than sense you could use them although I would have thought proper flat track hubs wouldn't even have mounts for front discs
    GN250 Wire wheel front hubs same as fitted to GT550/750/GS750 so they take twin discs and you can buy them for bugger all
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    husaberg
    Why would you waste your time with Airheart when you can run Brembo 08 as fitted to numerous Ducati/Moto Guzzi/ Eurotrash of that era, calipers are still available new and there are good pad compound choices

I guess if you have more money than sense you could use them although I would have thought proper flat track hubs wouldn't even have mounts for front discs
    GN250 Wire wheel front hubs same as fitted to GT550/750/GS750 so they take twin discs and you can buy them for bugger all
    Other than they are Japanese that is whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Other than they are Japanese that is whoops
    Oh yeah I forgot about all that anti jap bias bullshit so their new replica pommy piles of crap dont get hammered

Of course they're quite happy to get Jap bikes of special interest over as a display drawcard though

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I have reverse engineered a couple of parts using CT scan.A place on Remuera Rd did the scans for free, as it was interesting to them.
    The big issue is getting the scan data into a format that can be manipulated by a CAD program.
    This in the first instance cost plenty to have done - then my son did a torrent download of a 30K USD program that can take the scan data and turn it into
    a .xt solid for example.
    There are even programs now that can create a constructional element tree that emulates how SolidWorks would have created the part.
    Last time I looked, (4-5 yrs ago?) they used a proprietary (of course )mesh based format. I was reviewing a new RP printing system using Ti and Tool steel sintered by microwaves. The app for the system was also mesh based: http://www.materialise.com/Magics-e-Solution-Suite and in fact felt more CGI than CAD to use but worked OK once you got a feel for it.

I normally use Rhino, ( http://www.rhino3d.com/ ) which has some pretty solid translation routines, but I’d be interested in anything that could generate SW constraints / history for a given export...

Constructing a cylinder as a solid model from scratch stretches the limits of the system, the programs and the CAD engineers intellect.
    Last one I did took 6 weeks full time.
    I don’t doubt it. I’m constantly up against unrealistic expectations of clients about modelling complex shapes, and that's exactly what Rhino’s optimised for.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    TeeZee had hoped to squeeze into pre 63 with disks but yes your right, there are better calipers for pre 76, thanks for the heads up reminder.

I guess if you have more money than sense you could use them although I would have thought proper flat track hubs wouldn't even have mounts for front discs GN250 Wire wheel front hubs same as fitted to GT550/750/GS750 so they take twin discs and you can buy them for bugger all
    Nothing Japanese, TeeZee is probably not going to buy original Flat Track spools, under the rules he can make replicas ....

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket

Name:	guazzoni.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	252011

• Guazzoni 50 An Italian rotary valve two stroke - note the rearward facing exhaust.

Name:	renn50a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	252013
    • The top bike is a Tomos from Yugoslavia, with an Italian Moto Minarelli below. You can find pictures of a Minarelli that I took this past September in Italy elsewhere on the site.

Name:	renn50b.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	252012

• The top bike is an Italian Morbedelli . The middle bike might be a Kreidler - note the need of a big single crankshaft flywheel to bring the bike up to minimum weight! The bottom photos show the very successful Dutch Jamathi (though they spell it Yamathi, which is the phonetic pronunciation). The Jamathi was built by a small team of friends, and if I remember correctly, they found the dual SLS front brake (ex works Suzuki) at a swap meet.

Heaps of interesting classic bikes here:- http://www.eurospares.com/graphic2.h...se motorcycles

Thread Information