Page 1063 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 63563963101310531061106210631064106510731113116315632063 ... LastLast
Results 15,931 to 15,945 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I have a clutch lever and know how to use it.

Actually if I have any skill, its in degrading transmission fluid with brutal but beautiful clutch plate degradation from over quarter of a century of 50cc racing.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I have a clutch lever and know how to use it.

Actually if I have any skill, its in degrading transmission fluid with brutal but beautiful clutch plate degradation from over quarter of a century of 50cc racing.
    I think you missed my point I am not doubting you ability to take maters into your ownhands
    I am suggesting that I don't think it will run at all below 10,000-11,000rpm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Either does my 50. Your point?

Bike
    Monark -57(50cc moped), KTM 200EXC
    This starts to get really interesting, dissecting the FOS concept.

I'm all ears and cant wait for Frits to join in.

Bike
    husaberg
    Either does my 50. Your point?
    Not doesn't run well.......... What I am suggesting is will not run at all!.......
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Well over the last 6 months several 50's setup and track ready and the 50 Chambers was sorting for Av is running and Av's 125 is behaving itself and has given up drinking its gearbox oil so we now have time to re visit the EFI project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston Clipping Head.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	306775

When we Popped the head off I was expecting to see a damaged piston after all the hours of detonation on the dyno but all there was, was a mark from where the piston has been kissing the head. If I skim a bit from the squish area in the head it all should be fine.

Name:	Coil-Trigger-Timing Light Setup.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	306773

The next step in the EFI project is to get good at controlling the endpoint of the injection cycle with some precision.

I want to see if we can make the injection cycle fit inside the time window of the transfer port opening. There are two logical injectors, a small one for starting and low speed running up to when the engine starts to get onto the pipe at about 8,000rpm and then a pair of larger secondary injectors take over when the engine is making real power.

Name:	Coil and Triger.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	306771 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coil plugged into Injector Plug.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	306772

Flettner suggested to me using a solenoid coil and ignition trigger coil combo. The basic idea is to wrap the two together so they are magnetically coupled.

With the fuel injector timed by the original ignition trigger coil and the solenoid coil driven by a fuel injector lead. The solenoid then excites the ignition ignition trigger coil to fire the ignition. This way with the help of an ignition timing light you can see where abouts in the crank cycle the EFI is firing the fuel injector.

The Ecotrons software has a map that allows you to chose the endpoint of the injection cycle.

If I start off with the EFI and Ignitec ignition maps set at TDC then I can use the timing light to follow the changes in the fuel injection end point map.

The idea is to avoid wasting fuel with the first part of the scavenging air that is lost out of the exhaust port.

Name:	Timing Light.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	306776

With the head off I will be able to exactly time the injection endpoint to the transfer closing time. That way I hope to adjust the fuel injection cycle to coincide with the airflow through the transfer port that is actually trapped in the cylinder.

The biggest problem is that at engine speeds above 8-9,000rpm you are rapidly getting short of time to fire sufficient fuel into the part of the transfer stream that is going to be trapped in the cylinder and at 14,000rpm time has becoming critical.

Name:	Injection Directly into Inlet.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	306774

The inlet is open for nearly twice as long as the transfers.

So if I can't find enough time at the transfer port for both high and low speed injectors I will move the high speed secondary power injector(s) to the inlet so they squirt directly down the inlet throat.

The smaller primary injector runs till about 8,000rpm and with it still in the rear boost port I should be able to keep the engine running clean at lower rpm and as it gets up onto the pipe I expect the resonant stuffing action of the pipe at higher RPM will reduce the amount of fresh air and fuel lost out of the exhaust port from the inlet throat injectors.

A carburettor mixes fuel with all the air that passes through it. So with the inlet injector what I don't want to end up with is patches of air that have no fuel in it.

Bike
    none
    I get quite some chatter with my 3mm dentist setup with larger bits adapted & its isn't quick or precise as it could be. But the money isn't there atm.
    Stay away from this dentist stuff, unless you can get it for free. Doing one 125 cc cylinder once took me five dentist sets. When the cylinder was ready, all five sets were binnable. The bevel gears and bearings are just not up to the job.
    If you can afford it, look for a hand tool with a swiveling head. I can't find a picture so I will try to describe it: there is a 30° kink at the business end of the handgrip. The right-angled head can swivel around the kinked axis, so the angle between the handgrip and the cutter can vary from anything between 60° and 120°.

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    can you imagine how precise the transfer port flow/direction/speed would need to be to produce optimum cylinder filing and also the exhaust characteristics to achieve such an engine.
    It won't be any different from what we are used to, Breezy. On the flow bench the central scavenging column created by the six incoming transfer streams has proven to be very stable; even if I blocked one of the transfer ducts completely, that column remained intact, albeit off-centre. And the exhaust characteristics depend on the gas dynamics in the pipe. The gas will be the same, the pipe proportions will be the same, so the pipe behaviour and the engine characteristics will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I've got this sleeve cylinder crank case underway again, should have the top and bottom patterns ready this weekend. and although it's to suit a YZ250 gearbox I was thinking about making an FOS cylinder ( after the sleeve idea turns to shit? ) to fit on this same case. 51mm stroke will fit no problem, case reed ( V force ) and transfers everywhere around the crank case. 128 transfers, 195 exhaust? Somewhere to start?
    Here:
    http://www.pit-lane.biz/t117p318-gp1...-part-1-locked
    http://www.pit-lane.biz/t117p333-gp1...-part-1-locked
    (it took me over an hour to find those links; I think I should cut back on my forum activities. Which one should I drop first? )

How does the FOS cylinder run under the power band (off the pipes)?
    Like any other pipe resonance-dependent two-stroke.

Could we do some tricks to help this part of the rev range?
    Sure, also like on any other pipe resonance-dependent two-stroke: programmable ignition, power jet, power valves, trombone pipe.
    But since I am under the impression that you can build anything you can think of: how about shrouds in the transfer roofs? If you lower them, you will lower the transfer timing, so wrongly-timed exhaust pulses will have less chance of shoving fresh cylinder charge back into the transfer ducts. Moreover, lowering the transfer timing while leaving the exhaust ports alone will increase the blowdown angle.area. That will put an end to the dreaded part-throttle detonation that plagued all Aprilia racing engines.
    Taking this thought a little further, you could even use the movable transfer ceiling instead of a throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I am no physicist but I think the FOS will need to run constantly in its power band so require a cvt
    I am, and I wonder why you would think so. Like I mentioned above, the engine character will be no different from what we're all used to at the moment.
    Having said this, I am all in favour of CVTs.

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    Then I need to wait a few years so I can afford one. All this needs to happen before I'm too old to race competitively. . . . Which was probably a few years ago anyway. I'm a slow learner, I think I got to my peak when I was 40. It doesn't seem like that long ago.
    High fives from here, Dave, I can identify all too well; if I wasn't laughing so hard, I might cry.

Peewee, I like the look of that Japanese handpiece. What looks good is the small size and design of the head that will allow the working end of the rotary file to sit a lot closer to the centerline of the handle, which should reduce chattering. Will it run off the Foredom flex-shaft like the other handpieces in the second photo, all of which I assume are from CC Specialty because that's where I got mine (in the early '70s)? What are the extra goodies in the kit?
    One thing that's good to have is a reversible drive-motor, because sometimes where you get into areas that cause uncontrollable chatter you can use reverse-twist rotary files and run the motor in reverse, and solve the chatter problem. I was very happy when somebody told me about that, back in the day. Peewee, I hope the bevel gears have a bit less lash than those in the CC Specialty unit (you want to disassemble the head and lube those occasionally).

husaberg-with-a-small-h, pay attention, it's Smitty, s-m-I-T-T-y, American-style with two t's, not "Smithy." Anyway, I never heard that project called the "King Konig," but Dieter Konig (with umlaut) showed up with it at a big race in Texas some time in the early '70s. It was a one-off, which he made from one of his class D (about 700cc) flat-four motors and half of another, for something close to 1000cc or 1100cc (there was a rule change about that time) which was what we called F class I those days. FWIW, I was one of a few guys around the US who wanted to drop the old M/A/B/C/D/E/F designations (the M was for "Midget": 125cc), and change to the cubic centimeter designations which the Japanese motorcycle invasion had made common parlance; I like to think that an essay I wrote had some influence on the matter, and that another essay influenced the authorities' decision to drop the requirement to run engines they approved, thus opening the opportunity to adapt engines from bikes, sleds, etc., to outboard racing.

Anyway, I only saw a few photos of that F Konig flat-six, which IIRC ran well but went back to Berlin and wasn't run again. Pretty sure it had a single big rotary valve with three holes, three carbs. There were other home-brew projects of a similar nature, with two class C (500cc) powerheads stacked up, or set side-by-side on a gearbox. They sometimes made tons of power, had many teething problems, and generally were abandoned fairly soon, usually because they were very hard on lower units. Also heavy. I'll see if I can link you to some pix.

Dieter Konig was a talented man who supplied racing outboards that gave a lot of people including me a lot of good times. Some of the workmanship was not quite the best, and Konig fell well behind the state of the art in 2-stroke design by the mid-seventies, but his engines were affordable. As you guys know, he was involved with motorcycle racing for a couple of years, and with side-car racing for longer and with more success. Helmut Fath built his own GP engines that ran well as I understand, and it looks like they were modeled on Konig's flat-fours, which had first appeared (as outboards) in about 1965. Konig also built some little motors for ultralights, but unfortunately was killed flying one.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post

So if I can't find enough time at the transfer port for both high and low speed injectors I will move the secondary power injectors to the inlet so they squirts directly down the inlet throat.

The smaller primary injector runs till about 8,000rpm and with it still in the rear boost port I should be able to keep the engine running clean at lower rpm and as it gets up onto the pipe I expect the resonant stuffing action of the pipe at higher RPM will reduce the amount of fresh air and fuel lost out of the exhaust port from the inlet throat injectors.

A carburettor mixes fuel with all the air that passes through it. So with the inlet injector what I don't want end up with patches of air that have no fuel in it.
    Will all of these injectors and carbs added together still be under the class rule of not more than a 24mm carb for air cooled 125 2 stroke motors?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Will all of these injectors and carbs added together still be under the class rule of not more than a 24mm carb for air cooled 125 2 stroke motors?
    Gets it's air through a 24mm hole. Legal as fuck.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Frits, these Chinese mechanical driven heads (for supply to 3rd world dentist I presume) are close to free. I lube the bevel and keep my finger on the head and stop to cool it between blocks of ally. But its a fools errand. Maybe after my 20 year old leathers get replaced I'll get something from CC.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    TZ I wonder about oil supply and I'm going to try to spell homogeneity of the mix considering Wobs `already in the transfers` supply of gas. But I do think the testing is cool.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I am all in favour of CVTs.

Name:	Supercharged 100cc CVT Project.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	306778

Possible water cooled 40hp 100cc 4T turbo and supercharged intercooled water injected CVT project. Or run as is, 150cc H2O 4T CVT.

Name:	100cc 2T CVT Project.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	306779

Future 2T 100cc H2O CVT project using a RG400 cylinder and KT100 piston. The engine/chassis could be made into a simple sidecar or the engine/transmission adapted to a solo chassis. Team ESE have a collection of 50 and 100cc 2T scooter CVT's and when we have cleared the current projects (if ever) we would love to do something with them.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Hi Jasonu, I don't understand, so what exactly is the difference between a 24mm carb and its jets compared to a 24mm EFI throttle body and its injectors.

Anyway my Injectors collectively have a smaller total orifice size than the 24mm OKO carbs jets, sorry but I just don't understand what you mean.

TZ I wonder about oil supply and I'm going to try to spell homogeneity of the mix considering Wobs `already in the transfers` supply of gas. But I do think the testing is cool.
    Yes I am not to sure about the oil supply or homogeneity of the mixture either. Its all a bit experimental but on the dyno even with transfer injection at big rpm there was some small blowback of fuel out of the throttle body, so hopefully oiling may not be a problem.

The motivation for EFI was to try and get some direct under the piston crown cooling and to overcome the fuel pooling in the plenum that I was getting with an external carburetor.

Name:	36mm Plenum Bellmouth.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	306780

If I can get the EFI thing working then we will be re visiting the plenum idea on the new 30+hp engine as the plenum with EFI will allow a very big, very short inlet tract. I will still use Flettners ball valve throttle but this time the 24mm orifice will be on the plenum inlet.

Previous experience with the plenum has suggested that the plenums resonance can be adjusted to selectively plump up a portion of the torque curve. A trombone Plenum and Exhaust pipe could have very interesting possibilities. We have the Ignitec engine management system to do the job and a small generator for enough power, so interesting possibilities.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post

I am, and I wonder why you would think so. Like I mentioned above, the engine character will be no different from what we're all used to at the moment.
    Having said this, I am all in favour of CVTs.
    I know you are Frits, tis exactly why I worded it as such, As for the why... it is based on a few posts (I think on Pitlane) where it seems to me anyway that you alluded it would, In hindsight maybe you were actually referring to the open all hours?
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information