Page 928 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 428828878918926927928929930938978102814281928 ... LastLast
Results 13,906 to 13,920 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Haven't seen a two stroke on shell bearings. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
    Stock is best

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    The biggest downside would have to be the volume I would have thought.

Unless the fickle bitch that is a two stroke tune and the narrow spread of power, means that there's no point in making one rev that high of course.

Was just a musing of course, I figure that if one could get a GT125 to rev past 15,000RPM it could have oodles of power extracted from it and still run a silly little 17mm carb per slug...But although I've read this thread, there's a lot I'm sure I didn't retain/understand.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Not that you're ever likely to see one in a bucket, but, uniflow two stroke (eg GM) diesels run plain bearing cranks with high pressure lubrication. They also have cams, pushrods, poppet valves in the cylinder head and are still a two stroke.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Not that you're ever likely to see one in a bucket, but, uniflow two stroke (eg GM) diesels run plain bearing cranks with high pressure lubrication. They also have cams, pushrods, poppet valves in the cylinder head and are still a two stroke.
    You forgot to mention forced induction. Can't even start one of those bad boys without pressure in the inlet tract.

They don't breath/burn the crank lubricant either, so it's not really relative to my question.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Villiers used to run plain bushes.......not saying it was clever though
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Villiers used to run plain bushes.......not saying it was clever though
    Yeah, so did British Seagull (outboards), Iron Horse (johnson outboards and lawnmower engines) and various others (including model aircraft engines). - The secret? 1 pint of oil to 1 gallon of petrol (think that's 8:1) and massive clouds of smoke!!

However, having said that, there have been many successful two stroke diesels with overhead valves and blowers which didn't use the crankcase as a pump, so really the same bottom ends as the four strokes.

Also, I remember one attempt at using overhead valves on an Italian two stroke kart engine - the overhead camshaft ran at half crank speed and the valves opened alternately (to prevent 'valve float' which would have happened if they opened at every crank revolution). I still think it used crankcase compression though, so no plain bearings.
    Needless to say it didn't last long! - I haven't found it on the net.so far.

Trouble is, when you start adding all these things, then the weight, the complexity and the price also go up!
    Let's just stick to the good old "simple" two stroke I say. Only problems it's got are pollution, exhausts bigger than the motor, high fuel consumption and it pisses off the Harley boys - nothing to worry about really!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    On the other hand, here's one for you four stroke boys, (and this has been successfully done on YS model aircraft four stroke engines), why not get "free" supercharging from having a crankcase charged four stroke? ie using a needle roller crank and a petroil mixture.
    The piston will produce crankcase compression on each revolution of course, so on a single, every other stroke the charge will be stored in a small chamber in the head near the inlet valve and released when the inlet valve opens to accept the charge on the next stroke - really a four stroke top end on a two stroke bottom end.

I might also add that a on four stroke twin either boxer or parallel, (ie with 360 deg crank on a parallel twin, or a 180 deg crank on a boxer), whatever, but with both pistons hitting TDC at the same time and alternate firing), the necessity for a "storage chamber would disappear! - where have all those CB 125T bikes gone??
    Maybe FLETTNER would be interested.
    It actually does work, but of course for bucket racing it might be banned I dunno! - could just give you four stroke boys a fighting chance though!

Gotta get to bed, I might be hallucinating, then again I might not!

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    On the other hand, here's one for you four stroke boys, (and this has been successfully done on YS model aircraft four stroke engines), why not get "free" supercharging from having a crankcase charged four stroke? ie using a needle roller crank and a petroil mixture.
    The piston will produce crankcase compression on each revolution of course, so on a single, every other stroke the charge will be stored in a small chamber in the head near the inlet valve and released when the inlet valve opens to accept the charge on the next stroke - really a four stroke top end on a two stroke bottom end.

I might also add that a on four stroke twin either boxer or parallel, (ie with 360 deg crank on a parallel twin, or a 180 deg crank on a boxer), whatever, but with both pistons hitting TDC at the same time and alternate firing), the necessity for a "storage chamber would disappear! - where have all those CB 125T bikes gone??
    Maybe FLETTNER would be interested.
    It actually does work, but of course for bucket racing it might be banned I dunno! - could just give you four stroke boys a fighting chance though!

Gotta get to bed, I might be hallucinating, then again I might not!
    after thinking of the idea 20 or so years ago i found a speedway guy had done it to his engine. sounded like it did not work to good but may not of done it propery.. i dont think it would be aloud anyway been a form of supercharging

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    after thinking of the idea 20 or so years ago i found a speedway guy had done it to his engine. sounded like it did not work to good but may not of done it propery.. i dont think it would be aloud anyway been a form of supercharging
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but as we all know these things need a lot of hard work and fine tuning. It can work of course and it would be interesting to try but in this life we are restricted by rules wherever we turn. In saying that.
    Buckets are a great outlet for experimentation but in order to keep things cheap and available to all, we have to have some rules I guess!
    All just food for thought of course............How about an 'experimental and developmental only' class??

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The piston will produce crankcase compression on each revolution of course, so on a single, every other stroke the charge will be stored in a small chamber in the head near the inlet valve and released when the inlet valve opens to accept the charge on the next stroke
    Every stroke: Reeds at the base of the transfer ports.

Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    . i dont think it would be aloud anyway been a form of supercharging
    Which begs the question, why should 2 strokes be allowed the very same method?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Every stroke: Reeds at the base of the transfer ports.

Which begs the question, why should 2 strokes be allowed the very same method?
    We are talking four strokes here of course and having to store the charge for one revolution (in the case of a single, - twin is different) - two strokes don't have to store it although I guess they do exactly that in the exhaust chamber!
    Would like to stay and talk but my wife is getting impatient with me as we are heading off!

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET

Super bucket coming along.

So Rob. Check out the frame. Look familiar? Yep its the one you had in your lockup. A good use for it I think.

So its been slow going for a we while due to actually having to do work but it is now ready for its first Shake down on the track.

This is the first 2 stroke I have built from split cases up. And it will not be the last. New Nitron rear shock on its way and also just a bit of mucking around to fit the Honda RS250 forks I have for it. But as it sits I have the correct weight springs and the front has been completely rebuild and working very well.

The ignitech is on and running but needs fine tuning. That will come when my connectors turn up to hook in the TPS and power Jets from the 38's

Also pipes. At the moment they are the tyga 250 pipes. They are a temp option but look rather nice and give good midrange but not so hot on the peak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 naked_240414_1229.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	461.6 KB 
ID:	296475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 naked_240414_1225.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	653.8 KB 
ID:	296476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 naked_240414_1226.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	645.7 KB 
ID:	296477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 naked_240414_1223.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	630.9 KB 
ID:	296478

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    We are talking four strokes here of course and having to store the charge for one revolution (in the case of a single, - twin is different) - two strokes don't have to store it although I guess they do exactly that in the exhaust chamber!
    Would like to stay and talk but my wife is getting impatient with me as we are heading off!
    Subtle difference, yes. Although if 2 strokes didn't store compressed gas why do they need reed/rotary valves?

I suspect the largest issue with case-charged 4 strokes might be keeping the valve closed, you'd need damned near double the spring pressure.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Subtle difference, yes. Although if 2 strokes didn't store compressed gas why do they need reed/rotary valves?
    I hate to argue semantics because it's hardly worth doing but a disk valve allows asymmetric inlet timing, and they both ensure that the charge is pushed through the transfers rather than out the inlet. A two stroke doesn't need a reed valve or a disk valve to operate (piston port) but allows better control of the charge. Obviously there is compression taking place here but I thought I'd point that out as an answer to your rhetorical question.

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    So Rob. Check out the frame. Look familiar? Yep its the one you had in your lockup. A good use for it I think.
    Sorry I haven't been following. NSR250 frame right? With the 250 engine out to 300? Looks good!

Thread Information