Page 1283 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 2837831183123312731281128212831284128512931333138317832283 ... LastLast
Results 19,231 to 19,245 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CopperAlloyHead.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	315297The squish area has a colour change, while the combustion ball area seemed to be not showing any colour or heat build up what so ever..... I get the impression that the copper is not only drawing heat from the squish area,but also drawing heat from the bowl area..... More testing will be required for sure but am encouraged from the results. It is not often that 4.5% increase is seen on an already fairly well developed platform.
    Very interesting that you recorded a power increase with only the copper mod. I look forward to hearing more as your development and tests continue.

Name:	NewCopperHeadGasketFin.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	315305

This is my copper squish-head gasket-finn thing.

Name:	Thomas Copper Head 002.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	315303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Copper-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	315304

For me the whole point of the copper fin was to improve waste heat rejection from the combustion chamber shell.

Name:	Copper Head Roberts Copper Spray'd Head.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	315302

I tried copper metal spraying a head but the super heat reflecting polished copper in the combustion chamber oxidised black. I tried car polish in an effort to keep it shiney, helped a little bit. Maybe next time to reflect the combustion heat I will try a very thin layer of chrome (suggested by Frits) over the copper in the combustion chamber area.

The copper fins get to hot to touch, so they are certainly drawing heat out of the engine.

Name:	The Beasts Heart.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	315298

I am sure the copper has helped with engine cooling and subsequent power development.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Very interesting that you recorded a power increase with only the copper mod. I look forward to hearing more as your development and tests continue.

Name:	NewCopperHeadGasketFin.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	315305

This is my copper squish-head gasket-finn thing.

Name:	Thomas Copper Head 002.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	315303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Copper-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	315304

For me the whole point of the copper fin was to improve waste heat rejection from the combustion chamber shell.

Name:	Copper Head Roberts Copper Spray'd Head.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	315302

I tried copper metal spraying a head but the super heat reflecting polished copper in the combustion chamber oxidised black. I tried car polish in an effort to keep it shiney, helped a little bit. Maybe next time to reflect the combustion heat I will try a very thin layer of chrome (suggested by Frits) over the copper in the combustion chamber area.

The copper fins get to hot to touch, so they are certainly drawing heat out of the engine.

Name:	The Beasts Heart.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	315298

I am sure the copper has helped with engine cooling and subsequent power development.
    What ever happened to Thomas?

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    What ever happened to Thomas?
    Sadly the bulk of our electrical work dried up when the two major high pressure gas compression companies here were brought up and moved to China.

Thomas went onto other things, he still calls in from time to time.

Name:	cat v12 gas.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	315315

I still have a spare Cat Gas V12 Turbo engine here for driving a compressor or generator if you wan't one. We could package it for you.

Gas packages have shipped out of NZ to all around the world, Sweden, South America, Nigeria, Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, unfortunately the Americans have a bad habit of bombing the customers.

Bike
    87 YAMAHA XT250

Sleeve valves vs. Opposed Pistons

Sleeve-valves vs Opposed Pistons

Hello.

I was looking at this:

arrangement of Rolls-Royce Crecy 2-stroke as a solution for modern 2-strokes.

The sleeve valves of R-R Crecy move at double frequency than the sleeve valves of the Bristol Radials 4-strokes:

While the angular oscillation of the Bristol sleeve valves about their cylinder axes offers a significant functional advantage (maximization of the valve-time-area), this is not the case for the Crecy 2-strokes sleeve valves wherein the angular oscillation just increases the inertia loads and the friction.

In both cases it is required a strange connection between the sleeve valve and its actuator.

In both cases (R-R Crecy and Bristol sleeve) the sleeve valve is supported asymmetrically causing flexing and increasing the friction.

While the sealing of the combustion chamber of the Bristol sleeve valve engine is based on normal rings on the moving piston and on the stationary “piston”, in the Crecy R-R design the sealing of the top side of the combustion chamber is based on the tight fit of the sleeve valve top-end with the cylinder.

A better solution seems this:

It is from a prototype sleeve valve two-stroke engine made by Uniflow (F1 Technical Forum).

As compared to Crecy sleeve valve, it is symmetrically supported by a pair of auxiliary side-connecting rods on two slim crankpins of small eccentricity, avoiding the angular oscillation about the cylinder axis.

A common problem with the R-R Crecy is the scavenging efficiency of the top part of the combustion chamber.
    Even in the giant Marine two strokes (wherein the stroke is several times bigger than the bore) a core of residual hot gas remains along / around the axis of the cylinder (in this case the exhaust is at the opposite end of the cylinder and not in the middle of the cylinder).

A common problem is also the need for long stroke to bore ratios to put the transfer and exhaust ports away from each other (to avoid short circuit). The small distance of the transfer port from the top of the above sleeve valve shows the problem.

A better solution seems this design:

At http://www.pattakon.com/Sleeve/Sleeve3.gif amd http://www.pattakon.com/Sleeve/Sleeve3_STE.gif are the above animations at full size.

For windows users the "exe" program at http://www.pattakon.com/Sleeve/Sleeve2.exe may be interesting.

(the second animation can be seen stereoscopically according the instructions at http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonStereoscopy.htm )

Besides the simple actuation of the sleeve valve (Uniflow), it also offers the sealing quality of the Bristol sleeve valve design wherein a stationary piston at the top of the cylinder has piston rings sliding on the sleeve valve. No tight fit between the sleeve valve and the cylinder is required.

With the exhaust ports at the top of the cylinder, the scavenging is more efficient (fewer residual gas, lower cycle temperatures).

It seems a good solution.
    But, as in the previous cases, it needs a long piston stroke.
    A long piston stroke means heavier inertia loads, more friction, lower rev limit and less power.

A common disadvantage in all previous cases is the increase of the inertia loads and of the vibrations (the heavy sleeve valve reciprocates in synchronization with the piston; the first order inertia force of the reciprocating piston adds with the first order inertia force from the reciprocating sleeve valve). A single cylinder would vibrate a lot more than a conventional single cylinder 2-stroke (same piston, same connecting rod, same stroke, same rpm).

A better solution is to put in motion the immovable piston of the last arrangement.
    This is what the Junkers-Doxford does:

Instead of using the side connecting rods for the sleeve valve, now the side connecting rods are used for the top piston.

The sleeve valve is eliminated together with the associated friction; the lubricant consumption reduces; the friction reduces (two pistons moving at half stroke).

The first order inertia forces are fully balanced.

A better solution is the OPOC (Opposed Piston, Opposed Cylinder engine) of Ecomotors (Bill Gates is one of their famous investors): two Junkers-Dosford share the same crankshaft for the sake of full balance:

A better solution is the PatPOC engine:

(more at http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonPatPOC.htm ; spot on the short crankshaft: the crankpins can be inside the cylinder footprint).

A better solution is also the PatOP engine:

(more at http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonPatOP.htm )

Among others it reduces the overall height of the engine, it takes the thrust loads on surfaces rid of ports, it has “four-stroke-like” lubrication, it has built-in piston-type scavenging pump etc.
    The “pulling rod” architecture of the PatOP increases substantially the piston dwell around the combustion dead center (think what this means for a high revving Diesel)

Worth to mention that the main bearings of the crankshaft of all abovementioned Opposed Piston engines can run unloaded (think why); theoretically you can hold by your hands the crankshaft at operation.

Thoughts?
    Objections?

Thanks
    Manolis Pattakos

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack

Two Stroke Sunday

I took a video of a couple of laps at manfeild on board the NSR300. It's starting to really get along now, just need to get it to go around the bends!!

Anyway I enjoyed watching/listening to this so I thought I would share for anyone interested.

Enjoy

-Sketchy

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    I took a video of a couple of laps at manfeild on board the NSR300. It's starting to really get along now, just need to get it to go around the bends!!

Anyway I enjoyed watching/listening to this so I thought I would share for anyone interested.

Enjoy

-Sketchy
    Just resizing it so I can see the speed

buggered if I can make it out, is it a water temp below the revs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    @ Manolis, thanks for the interesting post..

FWIW, LJK Setright wrote a few books, inc' "Some Unusual Engines"..

On P.62 - he commented on the British sleeve valve aero mills..

"It was Bristol who really put sleeves on the map... Bristol ran one of their 6.5in sleeves up to 8,000rev/min
    in a single-cylinder test engine without anything going awry,
    & ...the Napier Sabre could blip up & down the rev-counter scale like a car engine."

& Frank Halford designed the Napier Sabre as being capable of running - as a 2-Stroke..

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Just resizing it so I can see the speed

buggered if I can make it out, is it a water temp below the revs?
    Haha, Battery Voltage, running total loss.

Water temp is supposed to be next to that, but I had it on the wrong sensor

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Haha, Battery Voltage, running total loss.

Water temp is supposed to be next to that, but I had it on the wrong sensor
    Hook up the speedo as well next time would Ya
    I am guessing the reason we could not see the other 2 strokes as they were behind you?
    Seems to get around the corners pretty good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Sadly the bulk of our electrical work dried up when the two major high pressure gas compression companies here were brought up and moved to China.

Thomas went onto other things, he still calls in from time to time.

Name:	cat v12 gas.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	315315

I still have a spare Cat Gas V12 Turbo engine here for driving a compressor or generator if you wan't one. We could package it for you.

Gas packages have shipped out of NZ to all around the world, Sweden, South America, Nigeria, Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, unfortunately some of the customers have a bad habit od poking the bear and get the shit bombed out of themselves for their mistake...
    Fixed it for you...

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Bear?
    Huh?

That's a Ruskie thang - aint it?

The ol' bald eagle-boys.. use predator drones, a CVN airstrike, or a full-on B-52 bombtruck pounding, depending on scale..
    Too bloody bad about the "co-lateral damage" - the Chinese will sell you something to make it good.., if you can pay..

FYI, if you want a shock, look at the price of methanol - made from Kiwi gas - at a plant built & paid for by Kiwi tax-payers..

See the Methanex site..

~40 cents a litre.. not that you can buy it - at that price..

Bike
    TZ400
    So two things I dont get from the video.
    Why are you happy to rev the tits off it to 11700 - 11900,when down-changing and at the end of the straight in 6th gear, but every
    gear-change is done at 11200.
    This would indicate that the overall final drive ratio is way off - being way too short geared, or you are continually short shifting for no reason.
    Its a well proven fact that reving a race engine to just past it power peak, so that you drop back closest to peak torque thru every gear change is by far the fastest technique.
    So in the lower gears, with a greater rev drop per change, you should be overeving even more.

The other is the 11.8V given to the Ignitech from the total loss system.
    This means either the battery is too small to supply sufficient current to the ignition and this is dragging down the volts,or the battery was 1/2 flat to begin with.
    The spark power supplied by the ECU is proportional to the applied voltage, and going from the original RS250 alternator charging system that would be supplying 14.2V to the
    ignition is loosing a heap of simply available ignition power - again for no good reason I can see.
    Helpful criticism I hope.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    So two things I dont get from the video.
    Why are you happy to rev the tits off it to 11700 - 11900,when down-changing and at the end of the straight in 6th gear, but every
    gear-change is done at 11200.
    This would indicate that the overall final drive ratio is way off - being way too short geared, or you are continually short shifting for no reason.
    Its a well proven fact that reving a race engine to just past it power peak, so that you drop back closest to peak torque thru every gear change is by far the fastest technique.
    So in the lower gears, with a greater rev drop per change, you should be overeving even more.

The other is the 11.8V given to the Ignitech from the total loss system.
    This means either the battery is too small to supply sufficient current to the ignition and this is dragging down the volts,or the battery was 1/2 flat to begin with.
    The spark power supplied by the ECU is proportional to the applied voltage, and going from the original RS250 alternator charging system that would be supplying 14.2V to the
    ignition is loosing a heap of simply available ignition power - again for no good reason I can see.
    Helpful criticism I hope.
    Hi Wob,

Yep you got it, final drive is off by a bit. I'm happy to have it rev out a little bit at the end of the straight provided it gives good drive off the turn. Unfortunately due to my ignorance I shortened my chain to run a 15-39 gearing combo and can't go any smaller in the rear sprocket due to clearances, however I didn't have any chain links to lengthen it so I could run a 16-41 combo which I think would have been about right.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what that dash says, as you can see it is so slow to respond to RPM change it's quite pointless, and the quick shifter interferes with the reading as it is measuring off the ignition lead.

Voltage wise, to be honest I would have thought that the voltage regulator inside the Ignitech would take care of that, unless it's internal wiring is feeding the battery direct to the charging caps, I'm not sure how they have it working on the inside. DC-CDI's usually have a DC-DC converters to get the voltage up to working output voltage to charge the caps, in this configuration then the as long as the input voltage is within range then it'll just suck a little more current to get the voltage step it needs?

From the Ignitech site

"Supply voltage B+12 V input. Supply voltage must be within the range from 8 to 18 V. Within this range, the ignition unit is able to optimally control all
    processes. The ignition unit will be switched off if voltage decreases below 8 V or exceeds 18 V"

I did run it on the dyno in this exact configuration didn't notice any power loss but that little battery is about to be replaced with either a Shorai or Ultrabatt which will help immensely with holding constant voltage over a run.

Criticism always welcome!

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    He's likely trying to ride it.. too much like a porky 600/4.. that's gutless below 10 grand..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    looks like its going well Glen. I'm just surprised anything was in front of you. Pesky mixed sessions?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information