Page 1250 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 2507501150120012401248124912501251125212601300135017502250 ... LastLast
Results 18,736 to 18,750 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    page 1250 ....

If you are looking for 2T tuning technical information I have found this thread is best read backwards, ie start at the last page and read back towards the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Transfer Port theory
    There are also over 7000 images on this thread, use "Thread Tools" to view them and then click through to the original post about them.

Quote Originally Posted by emess View Post
    Use Google so to search this site use an ordinary search phrase and after it add

site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz

for example

Frits priceless site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz
    or
    Frits pisa site:www.kiwibiker.co.nz

the same will work for other sites with the appropriate site address

Mick
    A lot of the decade pages have collections of quotes and links to other interesting things.

Page 1250 Links List
    Page 1240 2T development Software, Port Theory, Interesting Sites
    Page 1230 Compression Ratio, Ex duct shape and length, Fancy spark plugs.
    Page 1220 Reed Valve Petals, Oxygen Sensors, Exhaust duct step at the pipe flange.
    Page 1210 Ignition Trigger Woes, EngMod 2T and Blow-Down, Fuelling Curve.
    Page 1200 Frits on power spread and the ratio of the maximum and minimum points in the power band.
    Page 1190 No data, but lots of talk about what the Ryger engine might look like.
    Page 1180 Frits on 2T fuel consumption. M50 cylinder portmap and EngMod2T analysis.
    Page 1170 Engine/Gearbox oils and bearings. Transfer duct shape and optimal Ex port timing.
    Page 1160 Frits - Engines need large crankcase volumes, Power vis Handling.
    Page 1150 Serious talk about crankcase volume.
    Page 1140 Measuring the transfer duct length, Ignitec, Expansion chamber design, Trombone pipe.
    Page 1130 Team GPR Edgecumbe Videos …. Cooling 2T’s …. 3xEx vis T port,
    Page 1120 Crank Balancing, Ceramic Coating, Plugs, Piston Edge chamfers, RS125 pipe dimensions.
    Page 1110 TeeZees progress on the EFI thing with the Beast.
    Page 1100 No Data but some talk about pickups and EngMod 2T transducer position in the pipe.
    Page 1090 Links about the Detonation Sensor and Temperature Data Logger.
    Page 1080 No Data, the plenum is protested, Frits on Blowdown and Transfer window height.
    Page 1070 Exhaust Duct shape, Kawasaki and BRC EFI dyno videos.
    Page 1060 No Data but page talk about Port shape and Flow in a duct on this page.
    Page 1050 EngMod2T setup talk about pipes, transfer ports and the TubMax graph.
    Page 1040 Basics of pipe design and how to influence where the point of maximum depression occurs.
    Page 1030 Racing at Greymouth, its well worth a look to see Team GPR in action.
    Page 1020 Pipe dimensions, Seattle Smittys hydroplanes. Husaburgs piston link.
    Page 1010 Suspension Tuning.

Page 1000 has a lot of useful information and links. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130773139

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Page 990 Blowdown STA, Ex porting plated cylinders, port layout and port angles.
    Page 980 No links list but there is talk about spark energy and EGT
    Page 970 Fuel - Oil and EGT talk
    Page 960 Wob - Fuel and Oil Talk and Crank inertia.
    Page 950 Its all about exhaust blow down …..
    Page 940 Fixers 50cc adventures – ports & heads – Wob talks about Bad Gas.
    Page 930 Frits 50cc pipe – Husburgs large links list, parts books, steering head brgs
    Page 920 Big links list, allsorts. Tokoroa GP videos.
    Page 910 No links list but the page is about fitting a 12V generator stator.
    Page 900 Frits thoughts on O2 sensors – EFI Fueling theory – Wob on EGT
    Page 890 DIY Foundry tips – EFI data – Detonation Management (tec paper) – more EFI
    Page 880 Big list of Flettners Foundry posts and pictures.
    Page 870 YZ & Bighorn Dyno results – Dyno Vids and EFI talk
    Page 860 Air cooling and ducting and Carb air inlets, next page Greymouth Race
    Page 850 1st run of the EFI Beast
    Page 840 Husaburgs big links list on Power Jets – High temp epoxy and Ex port dam.
    Page 830 Plugging piston pins – Cyl Heads (no radius) and Plug to Piston distance.
    Page 820 Det sensor & Ignitec setup – Exhaust port dam – Boost Bottle – Insulating Paint
    Page 810 Links – about Razing the Exhaust port floor
    Page 800 Link to dyno graphs for the YZ & BigHorn EFI Bikes & a lot of EFI stuff
    Page 790 Car & bike museum pics _ Wobs pipe.
    Page 780 Setting up an IgniTec DC-CDI-Race-2 ignition – Big list of links.
    Page 770 Wobs views on triple ex ports – first run of the EFI YZ250
    Page 760 Port Angles – lots of Pipe design info – Fast model aero engine.
    Page 750 Case Com – Basic 2T tuning – BigHorn EFI
    Page 740 Case Vol – Deto – Inlet Length – Over rev deto.
    Page 730 Pipes – Deto – Lambda – Temp probes – CrankCase CR – Variable headers.
    Page 720 Inlet tract length – GP125 service manual – Picture of how to read a plug + Wobs comments
    Page 710 Fuel and Power Jets - EGT and CHT - Crank build
    Page 700 Talk about wide and low transfers – Case volume and dyno graph – det and Lambda sensors.
    Page 690 Pipe talk and ideas about making mufflers.
    Page 680 Talk about the Trombone pipe and more of Frits and Wobs views on pipes.
    Page 670 Pipes – blowdown STA numbers – Trombone pipe.
    Page 660 Lots of links on pipes – Ariel Arrow – and CVT
    Page 650 Links – Frits and Wobs views on pipes – CVT transmissions – 30 vis 24 carb dyno graph
    Page 640 Links to Wobs views on pipes – crank balance factor – connecting a laptop to the Ignitec
    Page 630 More of Wobs views on pipes – Frame & wheel weights – correct O ring grove sizes
    Page 620 Links to Cooling Water Flow – Case Comp and Pipes – Setting up 2T carburation.
    Page 610 Simulation packages – combustion efficiency – transfer ducts – chamfered exhaust top edge.
    Page 600 Books that can be down loaded and Frits talks about why 190 Ex duration is so good.
    Page 580 No links but page is about mounting carbs and the 24mm pumper carb & 28hp dyno graph.
    Page 570 No links but the page talks about carburation – emulsion tubes and pilot jets.
    Page 560 No links, the page is mostly about 96 vis Av gas with dyno test.
    Page 550 No links list but the page is mostly about TZ400 build and cranks and rods.
    Page 540 No links, the page is mostly about Wobs success with the 400 project.
    Page 530 Ignition – setting up det sensors without a dyno – wings inside reed valves – poly quad head
    Page 520 Mostly about what some wheels weigh, ATAC valves and crank stuffers.
    Page 510 Bucketracers general Links List
    Page 500 Bucketracers links list of how to make a mid 20’s hp Suzuki GP125
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    Page 490 The Trombone, Ex port resonance and Transfer port stagger.
    Page 480 A vid of the Trombone, transfer timing and hot gases entering the transfers because of insufficient blow-down for the rpm.
    Page 470 Blow-down STA ... Specific Time Area.
    Page 460 No list but the page talks about Boost Bottles.
    Page 450 Links to the basic info for building a 30+ hp Bucket.
    Page 440 No list, page talks about power and air correction jets.
    Page 430 Carb inlet lengths and crankcase volumes.
    Page 420 Transfer ports and the importance of the up swept angles, the Leaning Tower of Pisa principle explained.
    Page 410 Rolling road dynos, main and power jet ratio.
    Page 400 Links to the basic info for building a 30hp Suzuki GP125 Bucket engine.
    Page 390 Links to Frits collection of Aprilia stuff.
    Page 380 Transfer duct shape and STA's.
    Page 370 No list but the page talks about Jan Thiel and racing 50's.
    Page 360 Frits chamber calculations formula.
    Page 350 PJ switching, Wob and crank shaft balance.
    Page 340 Muriatic Acid, main brg float, Husburgs con rod dimensions.
    Page 330 No list, page talks about expansion chambers, race gas.
    Page 320 High temp silicon, Yama Bond, crankcase sealing, air solenoids Vid clips of Mamola.
    Page 310 Copper for cooling, sprockets for cooling, steering head brgs.
    Page 300 How to determine STA numbers.
    Page 290 B/E dimensions, delivery ratio, Honda Ex Step, stinger nozzel
    Page 280 Aprilia RSA port layout explained, pumper carb, links to gluing up the GP cases.
    Page 270 Link list on how to make a decent high 20's hp Suzuki GP125 Bucket engine.
    Page 260 Over rev cough and what it means, Mallory metal for crank balancing.
    Page 250 27hp from a 1978 Suzuki GP125
    Page 240 Aprilia RSA cylinder stuff.
    Page 230 Porting Calculator and a lot of other useful tech links.
    Page 220 RG50 part numbers, 2-stroke carb atomisers explained
    Page 210 Page is mostly about the results from the TRRS
    Page 200 Simple 18 hp Suzuki GP Bucket engine using a RG250 pipe.

Etc ...

On Page 500, Bucket has links to how Team ESE built their 26, 28 and 31 hp engines:-
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/86554-ESE-s-works-engine-tuner/page500

Bike
    variety
    I dont know anything about counterfiet foredom stuff but I wouldnt be suprised. The chinese are well known for poorly reproducing many thing.

Bike
    2015 Avanti

EBM technology

EBM is electron beam melting or also called electron beam manufacturing. Instead of a laser they use a high power electron beam to melt/fuses the metal powder together building up in layers. One of the largest privately owned machines is here in NZ in Auckland.
    facebook pictures are here, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zenit...=photos_stream
    their website is here, http://zenithtecnica.com/
    a company that makes the machines is here, http://www.arcam.com/

Anyway, I am posting this to let people know about the new technology and about the new electron beam polishing as well. This is different where it takes an existing something and then reworks the surface to give a mirror finish to like a sand blast finish based on a 3d surface model.

Yeah it is expensive, but the advantages will be the ability to make things with very good detail in areas that traditional casting just does not allow.
    I am contemplating about making an engine case this way for a 6.5cc race engine. If all goes well, I should be able to incorporate features that can never be achieved by casting and more importantly, be able to have very accurate repeatable transfer and exhaust port shapes at a level of accuracy just not achievable any other way.
    More types of materials will be available in the near future, with the ability to vary the materials density as well leads to some exciting things to come.

If the project takes off and I can make it happen, where would be the best place to make a write up with pictures etc if anyone else is interested?

Sorry to be putting thread off its great line.
    PS this is in no way to detract from what people are currently doing with cores and casting, I see it merely as another tool to get what you want.

Neil

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    If the project takes off and I can make it happen, where would be the best place to make a write up with pictures etc if anyone else is interested?
    Postings here about the development of your 6.5cc race 2T engine would be very welcome and interesting.

Bike
    TZ400
    I have had a special close ratio gearset made for a TZ350 that uses the NOVA 1st,2nd,3rd set for a YPVS and stock RD400
    for the rest.
    All the dogs have been undercut,and the new TZ style gears are all modern 3 dog engagement.
    But the RD400 has 2 gears with 6 dogs.
    I have been told that the trick to enable faster changes with these is to shorten 3 of the dogs by 1.5mm.
    This gives quicker initial engagement, but full locking once the gears have slid together.
    Sounds brilliant - is it ?
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    variety
    well i got the cylinder back from the machine shop and all things considered i think it turned out well. theres now plenty of room for modification of the A ports and the aux exh window can likely be much bigger than i originally thought. the downside is it had to be over bored slightly to get it straight again but thats not a huge deal as i can have a over size piston in a few days. next time ill watch the heat alittle closer but for my first attempt at something like this i think it was a sucess. almost forgot to mention but the exh floor is 5mm higher than bdc now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731_180818.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	314307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150731_172735.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	400.9 KB 
ID:	314306  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    I have had a special close ratio gearset made for a TZ350 that uses the NOVA 1st,2nd,3rd set for a YPVS and stock RD400
    for the rest.
    All the dogs have been undercut,and the new TZ style gears are all modern 3 dog engagement.
    But the RD400 has 2 gears with 6 dogs.
    I have been told that the trick to enable faster changes with these is to shorten 3 of the dogs by 1.5mm.
    This gives quicker initial engagement, but full locking once the gears have slid together.
    Sounds brilliant - is it ?
    Probably....
    It sounds very similar to the old practise of "double backlashing"...Olde Timey boxes often used gear teeth as engagement dogs. Race practise was to cut back every second tooth so as to offer a bigger target for the incoming sliding gear to find. I've done this myself on a Triumph box in the early years of the Classic register. Not good practise where there's a huge amount of torque going in but it lasts well enough.
    You are checking for engagement of all dogs - usually using engineers blue ?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    I have been told that the trick to enable faster changes with these is to shorten 3 of the dogs by 1.5mm. This gives quicker initial engagement, but full locking once the gears have slid together.Sounds brilliant - is it ?
    Gear change velocity mainly depends on 2 things (and the rider's boot size isn't one of them).

1: How the shift drum is held in its various positions:

Drilled pits in the drum circumference + spring-loaded ball = bad;
    once the ball is out of a pit it will just stand on the drum circumference, doing nothing until the next pit shows up; the rider must be sure to fully rotate the drum. A quick dab on the shift lever can easily result in an unwelcome neutral.

Star-like cam on the drum shaft + spring-loaded swivel + roller = good;
    once the roller is over the top of a star point, it will want to roll into the next valley, so it will help the rotation of the star and the drum. The rider only needs to rotate the drum halfway to its next rest position; the roller and the star will do the rest.

2: The relation between the total angular length of the dogs and the total angular length of the recesses.

Obviously a dog must be angularly smaller than a recess but even then it often happens that a dog is pushed against the adjacent gear between recesses. Then the relative rotation between the dog and the adjacent gear must cover a certain angle before the dog can enter the recess. As the relative rotation velocity between adjacent gears is rather low (the closer the gear ratios, the lower this speed) this may take some time.
    It won't help if you shorten all dogs but one; the remaining long dog will play the decisive role.

Small-angular dogs and big-angular recesses will speed up the shifting but will cause a lot of backlash. But if the number of recesses is twice the number of dogs, the chance that a dog directly encounters a recess is doubled without the disadvantage of the large backlash.
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly
    the new TZ style gears are all modern 3 dog engagement. But the RD400 has 2 gears with 6 dogs.
    Come to think of it: the smaller the angular angle that a dog has to slide along the adjacent gear before it can enter a recess, the faster will be your shifts. So what you need is many small-angular dogs. This is beginning to look like a car synchromesh...

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    EBM is electron beam melting or also called electron beam manufacturing. Instead of a laser they use a high power electron beam to melt/fuses the metal powder together building up in layers. facebook pictures are here, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zenit...=photos_stream their website is here, http://zenithtecnica.com/
    Neil, as I have some experience with Selective Laser Melting (SLM), I was curious about the differences between laser melting and electron beam melting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith-Tecnica website
    Zenith Tecnica has committed itself to Electron Beam Melting (EBM) technology.With Additive Manufacturing (AM), parts are built by successively melting thin layers of metal powder together. AM enables the manufacture of complex parts that cannot be made by any other manufacturing process – this immediately creates design freedom and cost-efficiency benefits. The EBM build speed is considerably faster compared to other metal powder AM technologies.
    I could not find any explanation as tho why EBM should be preferable to SLM and neither could I find an explanation as to why it should be faster.
    The build speed with all metal power AM technologies depends on the size of the puddle of molten metal that is created by the laser beam or the electron beam.
    For fine detailing you want to keep this puddle small which limits the amount of beam energy that can be applied. In other words: you cannot increase the build speed by just using a stronger laser or a stronger electron beamer; you must also shorten the melt time per point and move the beam quicker from one point to the next.

Next: Zenith-Tecnica claims "No residual stresses - no distortion". In theory this may be true - if your product is symmetrical and if you have two melting beams operating simultaneously at opposite sides of the product.

I'd be interested to hear Zenith-Tecnica's comments on the above points.

I am contemplating about making an engine case this way for a 6.5cc race engine. If all goes well, I should be able to incorporate features that can never be achieved by casting and more importantly, be able to have very accurate repeatable transfer and exhaust port shapes at a level of accuracy just not achievable any other way.
    If you plan to produce an engine casing with integral cylinder, you are right. But at MB we stepped away from integral cylinders because bolted-on cylinders are not only easier to produce but also much more user-friendly. For example we can inspect a piston without the need to remove the engine from the model airplane.
    The MB cylinders are cast via the lost wax method and the duct and port qualities are every bit as good as could be achieved with Additive Manufacturing.

I hope my above comments didn't put you off; I would be very interested to read about your adventures.

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    Thanks for the encouragement and interest.
    It is a risk taking on a new project with new technology. I know I will be learning a lot from the process and what the possibilities are going to be.
    Yeah, they are not giving away much on how their process and works. A lot that they do, is not published for commercial reasons I assume.
    I have a meeting with them tomorrow to find out more about the process, costings etc and material options. Over the phone they sounded quite interested in my project and I am also very curious about what they can do. So I will share what I can after the meeting tomorrow.
    Neil

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Frits,
    As a non-loaded question, how many 125 RSW and RSA engines were ever produced and what quantities ever got sold to private teams/individuals?
    Question for Ken (strike pistons).

Does the Strike PS001 have enough meat around the pin to enable it to be re machined to a 15 or 16mm pin??

With all the MOMs rule changes it now means I can shelve the YZ100 pistons that I current use in favour of a higher quality Kart piston...

Bike
    Yamaha's
    Hey guys,check this one!!
    Give emphasis on the 90mm center to center rod.
    I guess that if crankcase don't communicate with tranfers,a long rod isn't needed for bigger case vol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ρτνγφνωγη.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	314324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11817209_2068906893206174_4495625325185470149_n.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	314325  

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Number of ducts :11 , 1ehx that's interesting. So they should be racing next year or there is a chance to see them this year?

Bike
    Monark -57(50cc moped), KTM 200EXC
    11 transfers and 1 exhaustport!!!

Is it high position transfer ports we see around/above the export?

Very interesting!

Thanks Lef16 for sharing.

Bike
    prototipo
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I could not find any explanation as tho why EBM should be preferable to SLM
    So I'll share with you what I learned quoting some EBM projects through Zenith.
    1) Materials - You can't use aluminum ! Which is really annoying isn't it.....
    Aluminium has a vapour phase temp too low for EBM. Basicallly If you tried to do it, you'd inadvertantly create a kind of vapour deposition vaccuum metaliser, coating the entire cabinet in aluminium.
    Most materials EBM'd are stainless steel, titanium, or inconel. I believe copper based alloys would be possible, and probably Tungsten. Rocket engines and acid pumps and that kind of thing are what tends to get built in the main.
    2) Distortion is controlled with a proprietary method of modelling 'fins' and webs onto the parts to balance them thermally during the build. These are sort of 'stitched' onto the part, and are broken away once the part is completed. This controllled cooling enables much finer forms than can be achieved with SLS. Remember we are talking about titanium and inconel here. SLS of aluminium may not have these distortion issues, but Ti certainly does.
    3) Resolution and surface texture is comparable to SLS. Porosity should be much lower but is a compromise with build speed.

I have a ti project coming up soon that will go to Zenith. I'll share it with you if it is successful.

Thread Information