Page 1327 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 3278271227127713171325132613271328132913371377142718272327 ... LastLast
Results 19,891 to 19,905 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    CASAL K270
    Quote Originally Posted by m4r View Post
    so can we say the Ryger is about "Controlled Auto Ignition" (CAI) and now it's about to figure out how the cylinder is scavenged to get enough fresh mixture inside but also keeping a little exhaust gas in it or maybe letting it flow back from the exhaust port in to the cylinder to provide the right conditions for CAI?
    +1

Frits, you wrote that the Ryger Engine team lacks mesuring instruments... wich is a pitty.
    But, exhaust gas temperature somewhere in the pipe has perhaps been measured, as all it takes to do that is rather unexpensive.
    If you (or someother working on the Ryger Engine) have, would it possible to share it with us?

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    From my barely-educated perspective it seems as though the trick they figured out was how to get a homogenous (emphasize that) A/F mixture waiting in the combustion chamber as the piston approaches TDC, creating this from a not-so-homogenous mixture coming out of an ordinary carburetor, and, I guess, achieving this by some more effective means than turbulence from a squishband . . . . What's the mixer-upper? And is that homogenous mixture an aerosol? a vapor? With our engines the semi-mixture coming out of the carburetor gets worse as it proceeds through the crankcase and gets slung around the transfers with the heavy fuel falling out of the air as it goes, with our squishband turbulence getting it somewhat re-mixed at the last instant. So again, how is Ryger getting an ideal mixture (ideal meaning it will all light off at once) starting with just a dumb old carburetor??? With heat? With a mechanical mixer? Both?

To Frits, a couple of pages back I wondered if some sort of microwave ignition had been devised. From your response, evidently not. FWIW, Dr Christopher Jacobs (electrical engineering), having done a lot of good work in the medical field, decided to spend some time on his other interest of hot-rodding and auto racing. This is maybe 20-25 years ago. He designed a computerized ignition system and a bunch of interesting accessory devices, and formed Jacobs Electronics to produce and sell them. Jacobs soon got out of the business and sold the company; I think that quality control problems and dealing with the public soured him on the business side of it. Whatever, while he was still enthusiastically designing his ignition parts, Jacobs had a little team experimenting with some sort of microwave ignition system, which he expected to eventually supercede all the conventional systems. I don't know how far they got with it, or what became of the project after the company was sold.

What is the distinction between a homogenous A/F mixture igniting simultaneously in all parts of the combustion chamber, and detonation, besides the initiating source of ignition and the fact that the timing of HCCI is controlled and detonation is not? Can HCCI be called time-controlled detonation?

As you see, I am doing my best to get into your scrapbook of hilarious Ryger speculations.

Bike
    does Playstation count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I said case induction engines could be rygerised; I never said you could maintain the case induction. It's the same for rotary engines; they can be rygerised.
    So case induction engines can be used if the case is blocked-off and a cylinder induction top end is swapped-in? Likewise rotary valve blocked in that engine layout? How convenient.

Although I'm not at the level of understanding of some of you guys, my final attempt at a guess is that the piston has special ports in the side that are exposed to the intake/exhaust ports of the cylinder at different times during the stroke. The fresh charge and returning exhaust wave enter the piston at the ports (instead of traveling back into the combustion area), and are channeled down through piston's center area and into the magic spacer shown in previous Ryger photos. There, they can mix either in the spacer or crankcase and wait a full cycle to give the fuel plenty of time to atomize. When the piston travels down during the next cycle, the mixed charge enters the cylinder through the spacer and into the cylinder's standard A/B ports. Normal combustion takes place and is now a much more efficient burn! Then the cycle repeats such that there are always two separate areas of charge within the engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryger_guess.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	316414

If this is total nonsense then I hope it's at least good for a laugh. Included is a crude illustration that I made at my desk during my lunch break. I'll shut-up now and leave the serious discussion to you professionals. Carry on.
    Last edited by d2t; 8th October 2015 at 11:26. Reason: explained more and added crappy picture

Bike
    99 yamaha fzs600

r30

morris lubricants uk make a castor oil in 30 40 50 as far as i know they have a distributor in aus

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    We've been thinking about a booklet containing the most hilarious ideas, but art pieces is a good idea as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wigflip-saywhat.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	316413

ahh, so thats how its done

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    [QUOTE

ahh, so thats how its done[/QUOTE]

Yes, using a RAT. Radical Atomising Technique

Bike
    TZ400
    There is no way the long piston thats connected to the short 90mm conventional rod is going to survive at 30K.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    There is no way the long piston thats connected to the short 90mm conventional rod is going to survive at 30K.
    Especially as it's taking all the sidethrust you are going to get with a short rod - (and no oil??).

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    Well, I have just finished designing a shorter rod for the 6.5cc engine and with the gudgeon now lower down the piston, it seems that the assembly will be about 0.6 grams lighter. In conjunction with a longer cylinder liner so that the side of the piston is now supported to BDC, I think that the over all system will be better. Just have to make all the bits now. This is not a Ryger setup though, but have been doing some numbers all the same. It seems for model engines that have a propellor fixed to the crankshaft so are not allowed gear reductions etc, there is no advantage that is immediately obvious in the Ryger system over the current model engine designs .
    With the use of DLC coatings and newer alloys to make pistons from, it could very well be possible to have a guided and sealed bottom side to a 2t engine without it seizing. The seal does not have to be part of the piston itself, but could be an almost zero contact seal attached to the underside of the magic plate we can see.
    I do find it hard to believe the 30 k RPM without failing, and maybe the secret is so blindingly obvious that we just can't see it. F1 engines that were doing over 20K seemed incredible enough, but they were no more stroke than the Ryger really.
    Neil

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    If looking at the outside of the cylinder.(ryger engine)
    the 'bulges' that contains the transferports A and B are suspiciously shaped.
    As the have a very sharp turn inside, like 180 degree from above the pistoncrown and directly to under the crown.

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Especially as it's taking all the sidethrust you are going to get with a short rod - (and no oil??).
    Lets say there is a rod mounted to the piston that is sealed through the spacerplate and with some bearing to take the sideloads from connectionrod.
    then you got a very rigid setup to take the beating.

Rgds.

Bike
    zuma50
    I had originally thought the spacer plate contained linear slide for a round connecting rod attached to piston. Then a standard crank arrangement under spacer. I don't think there's enough room for that. Plus the pins and bearings connecting the two "rods" seem complicated and weak.

I'm lost too Wobbly. .. and I always hated waiting to open my Xmas presents. This is worse. I don't have patience!

Bike
    zuma50
    Maybe you could answer this Frits, since we're best friends now. Is the Ryger piston lighter or heavier than a RS125 piston?

Bike
    Harley SShovelhead
    Quote Originally Posted by SwePatrick View Post
    If looking at the outside of the cylinder.(ryger engine)
    the 'bulges' that contains the transferports A and B are suspiciously shaped.
    As the have a very sharp turn inside, like 180 degree from above the pistoncrown and directly to under the crown.
    Seems that way. If 5 transfers are in the cylinder above the piston at BDC like normal and 5 transfers are say 25 mm (just a guess) lower down the cylinder wall and the piston has openings in it to match the lower transfers that would take care of 10 of the 11 transfers and would be a simple enough engine modification. It would also make the piston lighter because it would be full of machined holes. Maybe some other unrelated piston machining would lighten it further. That would help with rpm if the main weight was just the rod, piston material around the rod bearing, the crown and just enough material under the crown to transfer the load from the crown to the rod. As rpm goes up the actual peak load of the piston pushing down on the rod gets less and less because of piston acceleration and less yet at overrev when the engine isnt making as much torque.

If it is a day's work to convert an engine to a Ryger engine surely Frits wouldn't have us making a brand new ultra long unobtanium piston during that single day, in addition to whatever else is needed. I would think it would involve some sort of modifications to a standard piston, not making one from scratch.

It seems to make some sense and is simple. Now for figuring out the reasoning behind possibly doing the 180 degree transfers through the piston and what the 11th port would be. Tomorrow's thought project.

Bike
    variety
    http://www.google.com/patents/US4724800 maybe this can rev very high ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US4724800-1.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	316423  

Thread Information