Thread: Anyone know anything about HLD skid lids?

Bike
    Honda Hornet 250

eek Anyone know anything about HLD skid lids?

I recently bought a HLD Helmet from Cnell traders and now i've got it I'm losing faith in it and since Xmas is around the corner. Just wondering anyone else had any experience with these?

Bike
    Cagiva Xtra Raptor
    Sorry for the thread dredge. I just got home from CNELL traders, got a pair of CNELL sport/touring boots which I must say are quite nice, got them for $120 off Trademe. Had a chat with the guy there, his helmets are all same-factory rip-offs of branded helmets. He showed me an air-brushed non-branded helmet that was made at the same factory as AGV, but since it's not branded they go for a lot cheaper. Many more are coming within a month, plain graphics $135 and air-brushed from Japan $300. HLD helmets are the same as HCL, made to German standards. His HLD helmets have a retractable tinted visor, quite nice! I was interested in them but I already bought a new helmet earlier in the day, haha.
    Motorcycling is like life - it's about the journey, not the destination.

Bike
    SV1K
    Have a MX one ex Cnell that my son tested at Woodhill last weekend in about a 60 K/ph off onto hard clay and sand. Only a broken visor and a bleeding nose from helmet riding up. He says it's light and comfortable. At $90. can't complain.

Bike
    Suzuki Gixxer 250RR Red/Black
    This HLD one is nice. It looks and has same features as a more expensive HJC one. I'm looking at grabbing one. Anyone has previous experience riding on one? How are the paddings? The Visor and Sun-Visor? Any distortion in image? Wind Performance?
    Signature!?!

Bike
    Hyoslag
    I've gor one of the HLD's with built in visors, I'm pretty impressed with it considering the price it well made wind noise is no worse than my $400 HLC helmet. I like the neck strap which has a very good locking system and is very easy to lock in and remove when needed.

Padding is good quality and removable, overall design is good as I say for the price you can't really complain.

Bike
    Euro trash
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Have a MX one ex Cnell that my son tested at Woodhill last weekend in about a 60 K/ph off onto hard clay and sand. Only a broken visor and a bleeding nose from helmet riding up. He says it's light and comfortable. At $90. can't complain.
    Bin it!
    If its riding up its too big!
    At $90 you can afford to get the right size and keep the old one till he fits it if you dont want to part with it, but it can cause more damage than not having one at all if it isnt the right size.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Be aware that any of these helmets that the seller says meets DOT safety standards are not legal to use on New Zealand roads. The DOT safety standard marking only applies to helmets manufactured and purchased in USA - not China.

Bike
    2005 Repsol CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Eng_dave View Post
    I recently bought a HLD Helmet from Cnell traders and now i've got it I'm losing faith in it and since Xmas is around the corner. Just wondering anyone else had any experience with these?
    I bought a helmet from Cnell as well. For the price it's not too bad...in saying that, I haven't come off on my head in it!! If I was to come off, I would probably want a superior helmet on my head.
    Wind noise is really high when compared to my HJC helmets. I mainly use it cos it has the tinted visor and I haven't got one to fit my others....Still wouldn't really recommend them, I would rather spend the extra to protect my main asset.

Bike
    2006 Honda Hornet CB900F

Talking u get what u pay for syndrome

Hi Guys,
    I've been using the HLD Shark pattern (in blue) for over a year now. Last month the locking mechanism that holds the visor just popped out when i raised the glass (well plastic). THAT is the ONLY thing that went wrong and the spring was rusted anyway. I went to CNELL and he replaced it on the spot

Clearly, the HLD is NOT a high end product. I've used a basic AGV previously and compared to that, i think the HLD is made of a plastic shell not fibre-glass, hence making the HLD heavier. The lining is of reasonably good quality so far hasn't caused a stench. The sponge inserts are not stiff enough though and now the fit is loose and the helmet tends to "lift" at legal speed limits. The fog shield doesn't work, neither do the vents.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10 i'll give it a 7 for competitiveness on price ( i paid $64 for it on trade me) it does have german standard labels etc but I would take them with a pinch of salt. I'm looking for a Nitro NV810 which i think is within my budget and much better too.

You won't regret buying the HLD if you're a commuter / light user.
    ...riding away to a destination unknown...feeling independence from a freedom unknown...

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by tushalb View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I've been using the HLD Shark pattern (in blue) for over a year now. Last month the locking mechanism that holds the visor just popped out when i raised the glass (well plastic). THAT is the ONLY thing that went wrong and the spring was rusted anyway. I went to CNELL and he replaced it on the spot

Clearly, the HLD is NOT a high end product. I've used a basic AGV previously and compared to that, i think the HLD is made of a plastic shell not fibre-glass, hence making the HLD heavier. The lining is of reasonably good quality so far hasn't caused a stench. The sponge inserts are not stiff enough though and now the fit is loose and the helmet tends to "lift" at legal speed limits. The fog shield doesn't work, neither do the vents.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10 i'll give it a 7 for competitiveness on price ( i paid $64 for it on trade me) it does have german standard labels etc but I would take them with a pinch of salt. I'm looking for a Nitro NV810 which i think is within my budget and much better too.

You won't regret buying the HLD if you're a commuter / light user.
    If you get the HLD, the inside sun visor works well (instead of having to wear sunnies), and make sure you get that plastic film that you stick to the inside of the visor (to make the double glazing effect- not sure what its called) as it does fog up easily.

I have also read tests that show that the cheap plastic shell type helmets are as safe as any others. The gist of the study was that the cheap plastic splits or crumples slightly, forming crumple zones and absorbing a lot of energy. Go figure.

Bike
    '89 Suzuki GSX600FJ
    I binned my bike a few days ago and wrote off my one with the sun visor. Quite happy to say theres no more brain damage than before the crash . Helmet got the crap scratched out of it (landed on my shoulder & head) and it definately did its job.

It was a very quiet helmet as well compared to my aging nolan flip face. Not sure what I will replace it with yet though - didnt like the sun visor, sunnys were much better..

Bike
    1988 Yamaha XV500 Special

hey All

Realising I am draggin up an old thread here, I have just purchased 2X HLD helmest from trademe for $240.00. So if anyone is looking for a cheap (seemingly reasonable from reports on this thread) helmet............

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...wow..I'm intrigued as to what the oncoming Christmas had to do with the OP's fucking helmet...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Santa rides fast.

Thread Information