Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    DRZ400E

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    nice one mate great review ive been looking at one for over a year now, only theres always something else that takes priority
    currently using a basic magellan for hunting but ya get what ya pay for and its shite once you get under a descent canopy or valley no signal, plus no mapping stuff on it. Soooo the 62s looks like the one for me, was always comprehensive and reluctant to get one as i was worried about gps coverage but your reviews cleared all my worries... cheers mate,.
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    I have a 62 series that I use on my scooters Dino. I run it off the bikes power when its on the machine as vibration seems to switch the little buggers off from time to time.
    Fully agree its a real simple unti to use and bloody near indestructable (which is a real bonus the way I ride). The screen is a bit small for my eyes but I cope. Not good for town use, as mentioned the processor is a bit slow. By the time it finishes giving you its last instruction and it realises that you have indeed gone around the corner it wanted you too, you have covered three city blocks and missed your next turn
    I have three sets of Maps I use in mine (each needs a seperate micro sd card). I use the NZOGPS NZ Auto Routing maps. NZOGPS_DOC_SRTM Maps and a set of extremly well detailed Topo Maps that I "stole, cracked and installed"
    I would not recomend Fresh Maps at all I purchased a set and then found they couldnt be installed into Base Camp or Mapsource. May not sound like much, but try and plan a route using only your the screen on your 62 series and then do the same exercise with Base Camp.
    Walking in the bush with your handheld, hunting Bear oops I might be a bit off track, zoom out to see where you are, oops no detail any more .

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    ahhh your a funny good bugga col
    what do ya mean in that last paragraph? i read it as ' it dosent do well when ya zoom out on the topo and gives a blank screen'
    is that correct

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    currently using a basic magellan for hunting but ya get what ya pay for and its shite once you get under a descent canopy or valley no signal, plus no mapping stuff on it.
    Great hunting unit, the 62s is used by the DOC workers on foot in the bush, great reception under canopy. The topo contour lines (with FreshMap topo) make easy work of picking ridges and spurs

Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    I would not recomend Fresh Maps at all I purchased a set and then found they couldnt be installed into Base Camp or Mapsource. May not sound like much, but try and plan a route using only your the screen on your 62 series and then do the same exercise with Base Camp.
    Sorry brother, ya doing the wrong thing. Trying to use FreshMap on your GPS with Base Camp/Mapsource on your PC is like buying a Honda C50 piston and trying to install it on a KTM450. They are not compatible for a reason, Freshmap has GPS unit software and separate PC software. Both FreshMap software versions cost around $320 but I have no qualms with paying that as you get what you pay for. Using the FreshMap PC software for planning/reviewing routes is very userfriendly and feature rich; the nicest and most practical software I have used to date. If you have a go with both together, you'd no doubt be impressed

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Great hunting unit, the 62s is used by the DOC workers on foot in the bush, great reception under canopy. The topo contour lines (with FreshMap topo) make easy work of picking ridges and spurs

Perfect
    nothing worse than bagging a beasty then humping it over ridge after ridge following a compass, so easy to plot an easier route with topo in a gps

cheers mate

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Freshmap has GPS unit software and separate PC software. Both FreshMap software versions cost around $320 but I have no qualms with paying that as you get what you pay for. Using the FreshMap PC software for planning/reviewing routes is very userfriendly and feature rich; the nicest and most practice software I have used to date. If you have a go with both together, you'd no doubt be impressed
    So you would figger they would tell you that when you buy it eh
    Tell the person who is selling it to you what you want, this is the shizz he says, yep will do everything you want as well as change water into wine oh yeah
    And dont get me started about the promise of lifetime free updates mate

The problem with zooming out Dino is not just limited to Fresh Maps. As you zoom the amount of detail alters, you can customize it but with the 62's small screen to get a wider overall view you need to zoom out a long way. First the contour lines go, then the foot tracks, followed by vehicle tracks and so on until eventually you and the pig make friends and have a hokey pokey icecream with the monkey.
    Last edited by That looks like fun; 17th August 2013 at 19:43. Reason: cause it looked a bit rude mate

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    as long as i can zoom out to cover up to a 2klm walk i'll be happy any further than that my fat arse is dragging

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Just sold my unit to a guy in Nelson. I am going back to a Zumo 660 for the bike/ute. I liked the 62s but found the 62csx the better unit.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    That PB tech is pretty awesome, ive shopped there a couple of times and some of there specials are hard to beat

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    I scored a Nuvi 660 for the vehicle for $21.00 on Trade Me....works great after updating 5 years worth of maps. Came with all of the attachments and more.
    I bought a Montana 650 for the bike......
    I didn't buy the Zumo for obvious reasons as above....
    The Montana is a do all anywhere device, most impressed!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I want a Montana...

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I want a Montana...
    they look the shiz, was looking at a couple last night..... farked if i could afford one though

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I want a Montana...
    There is a huge thread and faq on adv rider,they not without their issues

sent from the tag

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    There is a huge thread and faq on adv rider,they not without their issues
    I wouldn't want to buy one, I just want one.

Same with a GoPro 3 Black....

Thread Information