Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450

GPS mapping and GPS units you use

I'm trying to get an idea of what the most popular mapping software being used and what kind of GPS devices people use.

I currently use Memory map along with the Freshmaps Cadastral to find, research and map new routes. Just wonder what other people use. Does anyone know of a product that has the cadastral (basically shows paper roads) and the topo map in one?

Bike
    07 R1200GS

zumo

great ... still a computer though ... so sometimes dumber than a sack of hammers

Bike
    None any more
    Use the site search facility to search for such things as Garmin or Tomtom, etc. You'll find that there has been much discussion on this topic before.

Garmin zumo 550 FTW.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Zumo 550, Mapsource, NZ Open GPS Maps.... easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Garmin, MapSource, Open GPS NZ Maps, Google Earth, GPSBabel.

I had a play with a Topo of the Nelson area but was too difficult.

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    The Zumo 550 is old, fat and over priced... check out the Nuvi 550, not perfect, but none of them are. Don't bother with Tomtom
    It's just one of those days, where you don't wanna wake up,
    everything is fucked, everybody sucks,
    You don't really know why but you wanna justify ripping someone's head off

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by 2much View Post
    The Zumo 550 is old, fat and over priced.
    The price is coming down all the time. But I am curious as to your comments about its age and fatness and the issues these appear to be creating for you.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Are there any compact size GPS units that are rechargeable?

P.S. I bought one of the first Navman GPS units that I want to sell if anyone wants to make an offer...

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The price is coming down all the time. But I am curious as to your comments about its age and fatness and the issues these appear to be creating for you.
    It's an old design plain & simple, compare it too any of the current automotive units out there and it's bulky. It's looks like the units of 5-10 years vintage. Perhaps this isn't a problem on a large cruiser/tourer, and if it suits your needs then great.

My personal choice of sportbikes provide less space in the cockpit, therefore the more compact the unit is the better. I also don't like to leave the GPS on the bike (or in the car) and the Nuvi is the size of a wallet, it'll easily fit in your back pocket. The nuvi is designed to be swapped between bike and car (as well as walking, cycling and boating), a feature that I find particularly convenient. All this for €200 cheaper (incl mounting kit) than the Zumo (sorry euro market here but imagine NZ is comparable).

My question to you would be, with the new Nuvi 550 available now, why wouldn't you recommend it over the Zumo at that price? Unless of course you really must have the MP3 player and Bluetooth
    It's just one of those days, where you don't wanna wake up,
    everything is fucked, everybody sucks,
    You don't really know why but you wanna justify ripping someone's head off

Bike
    None any more
    The zumo 550's size would on most bikes be a non-issue. It should be located where it can be easily seen and used. There's usually no room in a sportsbike "cockpit" for anything, including the OEM instruments, so that consideration is a bit of a non issue. A nice big easy to view screen comes with space considerations, I guess. Also adding to its "bulk" is the weatherproof mounting bracket. The two combined would probably force a sportsbike rider into having to sit on the pillion seat.

The great thing about the zumo compared to nearly everything else is its weather protection (you don't need to wrap it in cling film in case of rain or get some nutty drop-over cover that means you can't use it). Also a big plus is the easy use of its controls with a gloved finger.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The Nuvi 550 does look like a good deal but if I was getting a GPS with money no object then the Zumo would be the one.
    MP3 and Bluetooth a big+

I would actually go out and get a 2nd hand Quest though.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I have a Garmin Colorado 300 mounted in a RAM mount. It gives a very good amount of screen real estate for a relatively small size, it's fractionally larger than a 60Csx but with probably 40% more screen area and costs about 30% less than a Zumo.

It's waterproof to IpxV7 or whatever the standard is called, does all your routing etc, plus handles off road where the car ones don't tend to so well, and has tons of other features like tide times, area calculations, descent rates, temp etc.

My one problem with it has been a suspect power socket and it's currently with the dealer to get that resolved. I'm not sure if thats a single production run issue or all of them have it. Anecdotally I've heard the first run had a couple of issues like that that have since been resolved.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    '01 Honda Transalp '99 Honda CBR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by monchopper View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of what the most popular mapping software being used and what kind of GPS devices people use.
    Just wonder what other people use. Does anyone know of a product that has the cadastral (basically shows paper roads) and the topo map in one?
    The ones already mentioned are probably much cheaper, but we use Terraview Platinum at work (just checked, $1000 per annum for a single license ), which has cadastral boundaries, MS260 topo and street maps and lots of other nice layery things, with the option of high-res aerial photography as an add-on($2000). For navigation we use the Garmin 60CSx, which is smallish and light, but probably a bit limited in functionality for most people's tastes.

Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Skinny_Birdman; 25th February 2009 at 16:49. Reason: Added prices
    Nobody knows what human life is, why we come, why we go,
    so why then do I know, I will see you in far off places?
    Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    For the car , we've got a Navig8r....4.3 inch screen, SD card, bluetooth, earphone jack, plays music, videos, etc etc, - $168 from Harvey Normans, with Australia wide map......and a sodding speed limit alert that tells you to slow down when you're 15k over the limit! Apart from that, it works great -
    Mst. likes it, though...we're still figuring out how to adapt it to the bike......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450
    I have a standard old pocket pc with a Compact Flash GPS that runs memory Map. Am I missing out on anything in regards to the Garmin range?

Thread Information