Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2158

Thread: The BMW GS boxer twin thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    With the fat pig I want to be able to ride Muriwai beach (sand obviously) and some of the surrounding access roads (more sand) but want a tyre with more road going ability.
    For the general gravel roads and light mucky stuff I really don't need much more that a road tyre so has anyone got any suggestions?
    Find a K180, better grip in all those conditions than a knob.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Fwiw tourances,which do come in 21,were absolutely 100 per cent on the roads,and, will last twice 6.5 k
    I liked the v rubber slightly knobby thing on the front when I first got it.i think if you want to ride the big thing in the sand a pretty aggressive front knobby is mandatory

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Does anyone have a set of high rise BMW bars lying around?

I'm also after a few other bits for my R80 TIC/RT/RS/bastard love child thing.

Gaiters
    Headlight ears
    Exhaust spanner

If not I'll place an order at a recommended vendor.

Who was the guy in Palmy with the BM stuff? I can't remember now.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post

Gaiters
    Headlight ears
    Exhaust spanner

I've got an exhaust spanner you can borrow.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Hi Eddie
    I have been using some really cheap black steel bars that are at the local bike shop. I think they may be ATV bars that they keep for farm vehicles & do bend in a crash but at $35ish appeal to my cheap nature. I originally started using them on Gonzo as they are nice & high.

Exhaust spanner I recommend a cold chisel & really big fricking hammer - the bigger the better - those fins would never ever break off.
    Gaiters for the forks? dunno
    headite ears- I thought there'd be heaps of those around cheap or some generic aftermarket ones but when I looked I found bugger all. I'm sure Roger had some on Trademe not so long ago.

What does TIC mean?
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Gaiters
    Headlight ears
    Exhaust spanner

Kane Rtwin works or summit like that, best to call him as he's not a computah guy.
    have you slapped the chair on it?
    VW beetle steering dampers are good for the low speed wobbles.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I've got an exhaust spanner you can borrow.
    Cheers, will be in touch when I am at that stage. The headers are pretty rough so need a good file and hit with some UHT paint. Hopefully there will be enough metal left after taking all the rust off. The original chrome/whatever is completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Hi Eddie
    I have been using some really cheap black steel bars that are at the local bike shop. I think they may be ATV bars that they keep for farm vehicles & do bend in a crash but at $35ish appeal to my cheap nature. I originally started using them on Gonzo as they are nice & high.

Exhaust spanner I recommend a cold chisel & really big fricking hammer - the bigger the better - those fins would never ever break off.
    Gaiters for the forks? dunno
    headite ears- I thought there'd be heaps of those around cheap or some generic aftermarket ones but when I looked I found bugger all. I'm sure Roger had some on Trademe not so long ago.

What does TIC mean?
    Cheers, I'll check out the local shops for some bars. Given that it's going to have a sidecar on it if I get out of shape enough to bend the bars I'm going to have bigger concerns
    Cold Chisel? you fucking philistein(sp)
    Gaiters, cause I can
    Headlight ears, I like the look of the original ones, I haven't seen any generic ones I really like. Who's Roger?
    TIC = police model, though you'd never know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Kane Rtwin works or summit like that, best to call him as he's not a computah guy.
    have you slapped the chair on it?
    VW beetle steering dampers are good for the low speed wobbles.
    It's at the brother in laws now getting a the subframe made up. Build thread here: http://www.flyingthechair.co.nz/showthread.php?tid=5

I might call Kane at some stage and see if he can supply any of the bits, support local and all that.
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Back to tyres again if I may
    What are the proper knobbly types for the front?
    I usually use the Dunlop 606s great but getting expensive - don't like MT21s- TKCs too expensive...
    What are the other models so I don't have to look thru all the manufacturers sites?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Back to tyres again if I may
    What are the proper knobbly types for the front?
    I usually use the Dunlop 606s great but getting expensive - don't like MT21s- TKCs too expensive...
    What are the other models so I don't have to look thru all the manufacturers sites?
    Have a look at the Kenda k784s. Look like tkc80, but cheaperereer. I had a rear for the last dusty and it was best performing tyre yet, and pretty good price on cycletreads at the moment. Looking at them myself for the gs, but don't really wanna go that knobbly as i want to do a fair few road miles.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Try the Mitas E09. Tyre size is generally 130x80x17. Should be able to pick that for about $180ish. I get circa 6.5k kms out of it, which matches the MT21 front I run. The front is non directional - you need to swap it around when the knobs start to wear. I like the combination as a go anywhere any time set up.

You could also try a Mitas E07 rear, though those tend to get square as they wear.

By comparison I can only get 3-5 to 4.5 k kms out of a T63, & the MT21 rear - forget it...
    I had looked at the Mitas range but have never run them, what's their wet grip like? I like the MT21 on the front, interestingly I had never considered reversing them, I've always ended up with really smeared knobs from braking, reversing sounds a good idea!

Hey Mister can I come too?
    I have no idea what tyres I have on the ST..but they got thru the slippery bits at Riverhead and up 90 mile beach....
    I'd be thinkin' you need to fit an on board compressor too for sand...
    You're running T63s or TKCs I think (from that quick look a while back) Onboard compressor already fitted!
    Hope Hampton Downs was good, I got tangled up in organising my garage and building a garden shed (appalling excuse I know, but it's all I've got)

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Find a K180, better grip in all those conditions than a knob.
    Thanks Motu, I will have a look (Kenda I assume?).

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Kane Veltman ... R Twin Works for BMW R80 spares.

06 354 6896 027 266 5335

kane@rtwinworks.co.nz

The R80RT was the standard bike whereas the R80TIC was the cop bike ie slightly different specs.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    I've not had any issues with wet grip, but then I don't really push them in the wet either...
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

It's at the brother in laws now getting a the subframe made up. Build thread here: http://www.flyingthechair.co.nz/showthread.php?tid=5

I might call Kane at some stage and see if he can supply any of the bits, support local and all that.
    Mine was ( is) an r75/5 and the frame is no where near as substantial as the R80 frame. I didn't have a 'subframe" as it was pre internet and you just did stuff.

Fun things to ride but you need wide bars and a steering damper. The Velorex looks lighter than the Watsonian so a bit of weigh in it will help riding solo.

Are you dropping the FD down ? I fitted an R50 one to mine.

cheers
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Mine was ( is) an r75/5 and the frame is no where near as substantial as the R80 frame. I didn't have a 'subframe" as it was pre internet and you just did stuff.

Fun things to ride but you need wide bars and a steering damper. The Velorex looks lighter than the Watsonian so a bit of weigh in it will help riding solo.

Are you dropping the FD down ? I fitted an R50 one to mine.

cheers
    Fitting wider bars today, the same as I have on my DR.

I'll put a 20kg bag of something in the back when I start riding it.

I haven't considered dropping the FD down yet, I'll see how it goes as is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sidecar at rogers2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	299529  

Bike
    91 R80GS

Thread Information