Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a hidden gem.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries

Found a hidden gem.

Actually it was more like three.
    Nth Island, Owhango through to Tauramanui, using the Hikimutu gravel road.
    Its closed to heavy traffic due to its width in places. (5 tonne flat deck truck would be as big as I would drive on it).
    At Owhango, (almost opposite the pub), turn left onto Kawautahi Rd, about 1km up, turn right onto Hikumutu Rd, and settle in for a very enjoyable gravel track all the way to Taumaranui. (It brings you out on the back streets of Taumaranui).
    This is an absolute must for the Welly boys to ride if your heading north to the Waikato/Auckland regions.
    I didn't take any photos, cause I was having too much fun.

The other two tracks roads were Kururau Rd, (out of Taumaranui towards Ohura), turn onto Roto Rd, and then Huia Rd, which delivers you into Ohura. All three roads are perfect for big trailies/Adventure bikes.

Bike
    None at the moment
    That Kururau Rd is an awesome road...travelled it many years ago when I was a kid...still remember it as a great road....I lived in National Park as a kid and we went to taurmaranui every week....my old man had a mate who lived at Ohura...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i used to do a lot of multisport training down that way - 42nd traverse, whanganui river, running and mtbing all those back roads and tracks. that road you are talking about is just one of heaps down there - Kawatauhi Rd - take it all the way down to the river (no-exit), Oio Rd is the same. As is the road from Ratahi to Pipriki Rd -fantastic road and a great way of getting to Wanganui if you're bored with the Paraparas (if that's possible)

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    They certainly are great roads.
    Being an ex Wanganui boy, its nice to get into the valley country again.
    I will do more of the no exit roads as time permits, but I'm concentrating on the loop roads for future adventure rides.
    Any one know if Retaruke (upper) has become a loop road?
    I'm using Land info 1:50000 maps for guidance, but I'm sure there are non designated tracks. (probably farm roads etc)

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Dragged this up for visibility, there's some roads here that could be worth a look next time we are up to do the Whanga road.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Agent Orange
    A bunch of us rode these roads on our way from Owhango to Mokau(after 42 Traverse) to the TTTTT last Sept.
    Yep, they're lovely roads, I remember them well from when I was a sprog, I lived in Waimiha and we had good family friends in Hikumutu.
    Taumarunui was a big town metropolis, simply the shit back in the days for a little ol' farm kid. Christ, look at it now.........
    Another gem is the road from Ohura to Aria, Waitewhena Rd linking with Keighly Rd. Hard, fast, beautiful rolling hills.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Actually it was more like three.
    Nth Island, Owhango through to Tauramanui, using the Hikimutu gravel road.
    Its closed to heavy traffic due to its width in places. (5 tonne flat deck truck would be as big as I would drive on it).
    At Owhango, (almost opposite the pub), turn left onto Kawautahi Rd, about 1km up, turn right onto Hikumutu Rd, and settle in for a very enjoyable gravel track all the way to Taumaranui. (It brings you out on the back streets of Taumaranui).
    This is an absolute must for the Welly boys to ride if your heading north to the Waikato/Auckland regions.
    I didn't take any photos, cause I was having too much fun.

The other two tracks roads were Kururau Rd, (out of Taumaranui towards Ohura), turn onto Roto Rd, and then Huia Rd, which delivers you into Ohura. All three roads are perfect for big trailies/Adventure bikes.
    so, Mr Dickless Wonder Triumph Rider...
    When are you organizing a ride to explore this hidden gem?
    if I ask nicely would you include the old Whanga rd and Moki Rd?

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Ah Marks my old friend,
    At present, Karen has the whip in hand, getting me to move to another place.
    And since I'm slaving of freezing cold spanners in a workshop relieving for another mechanic for about 5-6weeks, I can't see the ride going ahead till after Clints annual tortue test through fog,sleet,n slush on his MMMMMMMMMM....ride.
    Fear not though, as the bach is still there at Kawhia, and Kanny's cooking skills just get betterererer.

Translation. I'm a slack git, that can't get orgasismanised

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Ah Marks my old friend,
    At present, Karen has the whip in hand, getting me to move to another place.
    And since I'm slaving of freezing cold spanners in a workshop relieving for another mechanic for about 5-6weeks, I can't see the ride going ahead till after Clints annual tortue test through fog,sleet,n slush on his MMMMMMMMMM....ride.
    Fear not though, as the bach is still there at Kawhia, and Kanny's cooking skills just get betterererer.

Karens cooking....
    mmmmmmmmm

Mikes rum
    mmmmmmmmm hic

following maniacs on DRZ400's along the beach
    wooohoooooo

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    You missed this one didn't you....I claim the honour of having discovered these roads, it was part of my guided tour of the 42nd and get to the Awakino pub one friday...just before that TTTT thing I didn't go on.

They're neat roads and they string together well, I think I can almost get from Port Waikato to Owhango and barely touch the seal.

You should get out more!

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Mmmmm gravel bakroads, the katanas a fuking handful to drift on those.

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Smile All good things take time....

It i'll be worth the wait i'm sure.

Keen to do beach run again will just have to make sure there are at least 3 willing pushers behind me
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    You missed this one didn't you....I claim the honour of having discovered these roads, it was part of my guided tour of the 42nd and get to the Awakino pub one friday...just before that TTTT thing I didn't go on.

They're neat roads and they string together well, I think I can almost get from Port Waikato to Owhango and barely touch the seal.

You should get out more!
    I'm with this guy and a great day it was too.
    I particularly liked the last one (that I can't remember the name of) that parallels the Awakino gorge along the tops but on the other side of the river.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS

hidden gem

hey bro i'll be keen for a day trip down those ways some time, gotta taste on the KC ride and had a blast so be good to get down there again
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    It i'll be worth the wait i'm sure.

Keen to do beach run again will just have to make sure there are at least 3 willing pushers behind me
    bring the duck
    it will be lighter to push and the fairing will stop the sand getting everywhere

and yes - it will be worth the wait

Thread Information