Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips?

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    The only thing I think heated grips lack is the ability to heat your fingernails - because they face into the wind and the warm bit is on the inside of your fingers, the nail side can still freeze in really frosty conditions. I have been known to tuck a few fingers at a time up so they contact the warm bit.
    I was thinking about this on the way in this morning.. some kinda glove that has a fairly minimal palm, to let more heat through, and then some way of wicking the warm up around the fingers with some kinda windbreaker in the fingers would be awesome.

ps, why would anyone wire their heated grips directly to the battery? Mine only work if the key is on - thus my battery is safe(ish).
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    I was thinking about this on the way in this morning.. some kinda glove that has a fairly minimal palm, to let more heat through, and then some way of wicking the warm up around the fingers with some kinda windbreaker in the fingers would be awesome.
    So you haven't heard of heated gloves then?

Handguards are also brilliant, but not sure they would complete the look of a sportsbike. You lot are so impractical
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I have, but I'm not keen on plugging my hands into anything.. or changing batteries... heh.

Handguards are also brilliant, but not sure they would complete the look of a sportsbike. You lot are so impractical
    Its called a "fairing" isnt it? (mines not quite big enough, but if I had fibreglassing skills I have an idea on how to change that)
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer

I have "Barkbuster Storm" hand guards on my Z. They work brilliant in conjunction with heated grips and don't look out of place on a naked bike. Mrs Berg also has them on her GSR750.
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    Mille
    Blog Entries

Heated gloves, clothing... yes way !

Nurture your mind with great thoughts...like Bring It On

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Howdy, My bike had oxford heated grips on it when i brought and they worked fine until it started blowing fuses, Found it had continuity across the 2 battery leads, The fault seems to be in the rear control box because it still did it after i disconnected the loom at the centre plug. just wondering if anyone has a rear section collecting dust that they would be willing to part with.

Cheers
    Ross
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My new (15 year old, but new to me) bike has hotgrips and I must say - they are rather nice. They are nice and warm even on low (30%) and I suspect warm fingers are safer than cold & numb fingers.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    This is my first winter riding with the Oxford heated grips.
    The only thing that pisses me off is I didn't fit them years ago.
    So, first year they worked well.
    Second year they started turning off when the handle bar was turned to full lock on one side (checked for tight wiring but that didn't seem to be the problem)
    Third year (this year) they have stopped working. The bike was having problems starting and I eventually figured out the grips were coming on with the ignition (but not showing they were on) managed to turn them off while moving the wire from the controller around.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    So, first year they worked well.
    Second year they started turning off when the handle bar was turned to full lock on one side (checked for tight wiring but that didn't seem to be the problem)
    Third year (this year) they have stopped working. The bike was having problems starting and I eventually figured out the grips were coming on with the ignition (but not showing they were on) managed to turn them off while moving the wire from the controller around.
    If they only turned off at full lock then it must be a wiring issue. If the wiring is not "tight" then perhaps it is getting crimped between something at full lock. Perhaps the insulation has worn thin and it is starting to short. Whatever it is, it will be a wiring issue.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    General gripe is that they only keep your palms warm, fingers still get cold etc, if you must go this way, add some hand guards for the best protection.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    General gripe is that they only keep your palms warm, fingers still get cold etc, if you must go this way, add some hand guards for the best protection.
    They keep my fingers warm just fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I know of four people who use heated grips and all have said the same , that they (heated grips) feel good but don't warm the whole of your hands, it's the placebo effect where, because you have heated grips, your hands must be warm.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I know of four people who use heated grips and all have said the same , that they (heated grips) feel good but don't warm the whole of your hands, it's the placebo effect where, because you have heated grips, your hands must be warm.
    That is perhaps the most retarded thing I have ever read on KB. My toasty hands are a result of the placebo effect? Hot grips work great - they're not magic and obviously your finger tips can still get cold, but they allow me to use my summer gloves pretty much year round.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    They keep my fingers warm just fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Yep, easily the conclusion for the majority.

Great investment

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    That is perhaps the most retarded thing I have ever read on KB. My toasty hands are a result of the placebo effect? Hot grips work great - they're not magic and obviously your finger tips can still get cold, but they allow me to use my summer gloves pretty much year round.
    I wear summer gloves all year round without girly grips, I stand by the placebo effect comment because of what those who have girly grips, have said about them.

''they're not magic and obviously your finger tips can still get cold'' different wording but what I said about them.

Hands in gloves get cold because of wind chill, eliminating that factor out of the equation cannot be done by heated grips alone.

Thread Information