91 R80GS
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    Ag100

The Grand dad of GSing in nelson selling up

Bike
    Ag100

The Grand dad of GSing in nelson selling up

I heard he gets about 25000km out of a rear tyre.

was rumored that Padmei used to get the old ones and do a few more kms

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I wonder if he'd sell the cleanness separately. i need some of that for my bike.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    I heard he gets about 25000km out of a rear tyre.

was rumored that Padmei used to get the old ones and do a few more kms
    125000kms of that was done within the Nelson City boundaries

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    $10k ? really?

Gotta admit, I do like them in that colour scheme.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    So whats the process for fitting the DRZ forks, I see from a bearing point of view its a drop in job with a spacer?
    Would the front not then be too high?
    Will they make it look cooler outside my fav Grey Lynn cafe after a muddy ride on the unmowed grass verge?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    So whats the process for fitting the DRZ forks, I see from a bearing point of view its a drop in job with a spacer?
    Would the front not then be too high?
    Will they make it look cooler outside my fav Grey Lynn cafe after a muddy ride on the unmowed grass verge?
    Nope, you need to put a spacer in the cartridge to stop it extending to full height, so that you retain stock geometry. You also need to chop a bit off the spring, which has the side benefit of upping the spring rate. Then you also need to figure out brakes & wheels (easy if you run the DRZ wheel, but you'll neeed bigger brakes).

Technically you need an engineers cert for all of that.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Nope, you need to put a spacer in the for to stop it extending to full height, so that you retai stock geometry. You also need to chop a bit off the spring, which has the side benefit of upping the spring rate. Then you also need to figure out brakes & wheels (easy if you run the DRZ wheel, bt you'll neeed bigger brakes.

Technically you need an engineers cert for all of that.
    Cheers,hmmmmm.
    Engineers Cert.....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

Tyre advise required

I want some new tyres for the R100gs, in the past (previous bikes) I have run knobs all the time (MT21 on front, T63 on rear) but am a bit sick of the wear rate. With the fat pig I want to be able to ride Muriwai beach (sand obviously) and some of the surrounding access roads (more sand) but want a tyre with more road going ability.
    For the general gravel roads and light mucky stuff I really don't need much more that a road tyre so has anyone got any suggestions?

I do realise it's all compromise but I want to pick your brains so I can blame someone else if the tyres I fit leave me digging a huge pit in the sand and requiring a helicopter for extraction.

Ta in advance......

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what sizes it runs?

GSA uses the usual 110/80/19 and 150/70/17. I consider the likes of TKC as knobblies, Heidenau K60 as intermediates, then the rest as road biased in varying degrees. Only problem with the K60 is that it's not flash in the wet (almost downright scary) but has good life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    For Road use Pirelli MT90 on the front and I am going to try a Kenda K761 for the rear $99 from Cycletreads.The Pirelli MT 90 only comes in a 120/90-17 rear it will work but a little narrow.
    Off road or in the sand use Pirelli MT21 front and rear they are cheap as well.
    Michelin T63 on the rear of the airheads sounds like a Landrover on town and country tyres,more noise than the MT21's.
    Best dual purpose tyre is still the TKC80 not to expensive in the Airhead sizes if You shop around but the rear wear fast then lasts when tread gets lower but no traction of road.
    Tried Metzler Sahara3 the OEM tyre and no better than the MT90's off the seal and don't last that well. Pirelli used to make the ST90 the were a great tyre as good as Meztler Tourance's which are to expensive.
    Hope. This Helps

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    I want some new tyres for the R100gs, in the past (previous bikes) I have run knobs all the time (MT21 on front, T63 on rear) but am a bit sick of the wear rate. With the fat pig I want to be able to ride Muriwai beach (sand obviously) and some of the surrounding access roads (more sand) but want a tyre with more road going ability.
    For the general gravel roads and light mucky stuff I really don't need much more that a road tyre so has anyone got any suggestions?
    Try the Mitas E09. Tyre size is generally 130x80x17. Should be able to pick that for about $180ish. I get circa 6.5k kms out of it, which matches the MT21 front I run. The front is non directional - you need to swap it around when the knobs start to wear. I like the combination as a go anywhere any time set up.

You could also try a Mitas E07 rear, though those tend to get square as they wear.

By comparison I can only get 3-5 to 4.5 k kms out of a T63, & the MT21 rear - forget it...
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Coming to that stage myself for my r100. Pretty much made up my mind to go for metzler enduro3s. Don't wanna go knobblies as I don't wanna cock up its roadability.

Any advice also welcome
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post

I do realise it's all compromise but I want to pick your brains so I can blame someone else if the tyres I fit leave me digging a huge pit in the sand and requiring a helicopter for extraction.

Ta in advance......
    Hey Mister can I come too?
    I have no idea what tyres I have on the ST..but they got thru the slippery bits at Riverhead and up 90 mile beach....
    I'd be thinkin' you need to fit an on board compressor too for sand...

Thread Information