Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New piston for 1985 Yamaha SRX600?

Bike
    1985 yamaha srx400

New piston for 1985 Yamaha SRX600?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at ordering a new piston and rings set for my 1985 Yamaha srx 600 engine and I'm wondering if I have this correct. Now before I am nailed to a cross for abusing this engine, this is how I brought it (hopefully my imaged was attached ok). Just to be sure, I need to order a 95.50mm piston right? I'm assuming this because of the 50 printed on the top of the piston (hopefully meaning .50 oversize). Probably a really stupid question, but I'm not too keen on ordering a piston only to find to find I need to bore it out to fit, or worse still to order one and find it's too small in which case I will straight up cry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    It's easy to tell. If you can get hold of a set of Verniers, simply measure the bore, even if it is worn, Verniers are accurate enough to tell if they are oversize, or original bore (over sizes are generally in .25 increments)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Yes, that's a .50mm oversize piston...but no, that may not be what you order.

Looking at the skirt of your piston, the bore is going to need a hone as an absolute minimum.

Take it to a pro engine recon shop and get them to measure the bore as it stands. Tell them the standard bore clearance figure - get that either from a manual or the internet - and they'll tell you if it will have to be bored or if you'll get away with a hone.

Edit - on the last SRX I did 50 on the piston was indeed .50 oversize...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Just get a big bore kit. Oh yeah

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ha - pretty well all the SRX 600's in NZ are kick start....I did a hot one for a very large gentleman who could leave it unattended with key in, in the certain knowledge no one could start it....He's still a friend and i call on him when i want a Z1 or GS Suzuki motor lifted and moved...

Bike
    1985 yamaha srx400
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Yes, that's a .50mm oversize piston...but no, that may not be what you order.

Looking at the skirt of your piston, the bore is going to need a hone as an absolute minimum.

Take it to a pro engine recon shop and get them to measure the bore as it stands. Tell them the standard bore clearance figure - get that either from a manual or the internet - and they'll tell you if it will have to be bored or if you'll get away with a hone.

Edit - on the last SRX I did 50 on the piston was indeed .50 oversize...
    Thanks for the info, I'm a little on the broke ass nigga side of things so getting the pros in and having a rebore might break my bank a little. The cylinder isn't too bad, I think a hone will clean it up nicely. By the looks of things I suspect the old owner had it rebored and new piston installed, then probably thrashed it during its run in time. I've been looking on ebay for cheap piston kits with the 0.5 oversize. Was thinking about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390270044972...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have a bad feeling those are made in China though.

This would definitely be made in China but is so cheap and therefore tempting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Kit-w...6b1180&vxp=mtr

Bike
    1985 yamaha srx400
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    That would be pretty dam cool if I had the bank. What can you get them to? 640?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm a little on the broke ass nigga side of things so getting the pros in and having a rebore might break my bank a little. The cylinder isn't too bad, I think a hone will clean it up nicely. By the looks of things I suspect the old owner had it rebored and new piston installed, then probably thrashed it during its run in time. I've been looking on ebay for cheap piston kits with the 0.5 oversize. Was thinking about this:

Namura seem quite good but the choice is yours....i would do as SS90 suggests and confirm bore size by measuring prior to ordering.
    Most pro shops will measure free of charge if you don't have the gear.

Bike
    Street Triple R

If you look up the definition of "false economy" on the internet, that post comes up. If I have learned anything pissing about with stuff it is that it is a sure way to make a grown man cry is to half arse something (Nah, man CBF actually checking and KNOWING I'd rather just apply credit card and hope for the best). Seriously, do it properly. Measure it then order the correct bits.

I used to own an SRX: great little bike. Not that bad to kickstart even for my pissy arse weak little legs. they have a decompression system. Would start from hot first kick, from cold second kick. Woe betide you if you rode it for like 5 mins then turned it off. cue 20 minutes of kicking.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    I used a Namura piston in a DRZ400 last year, purely because they came in a larger oversize than OEM (this had seen a few miles), never had a problem with it, but it was only one. Certainly felt and looked top quality to me.

Bike
    GPR150

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post
    I used a Namura piston in a DRZ400 last year, purely because they came in a larger oversize than OEM (this had seen a few miles), never had a problem with it, but it was only one. Certainly felt and looked top quality to me.
    i think the bucket boys are missing you

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Thanks for the info, I'm a little on the broke ass nigga side of things
    The piston has probably collapsed a bit from being squeezed in the bore, otherwise it does not look to bad, so if your really keen on saving a dollar. And there are no cracks in the piston that you can see and the bore cleans up with a hone and the rings are not to bad then have the piston lightly knurled on the thrust faces by an engineering shop.

This and micro peaning is an old trick to expand pistons, and don't worry if its a bit tight afterwards, it will soon adjust itself. This little trick worked a treat back in the day of engine reconditioning shops and real tradesmen who could make a new piston from a blank or tickle up an old one when things were desperate. It is something that you could try yourself if you want to, to get your ride going again without spending many $$$$ at all.

Then again if your wanting to be really cheap, after cleaning the piston up, heat it until its smoking hot, then gently squeeze it in a vice across the pin bosses, to much and it will crack, just enough and it will be a snug fit in the bore again.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Which considering it will be doing a lot more revs than a 60s car in a vibrating single. . . Expect to be walking home.

If the Namura(sp) piston has worked ok for others that would seem the best option. Trying to find a new barrel if the $70 'you have no regrets' version goes putt would be more expensive and they've been used up by singles racers so harder to find I'd think.

$200 landed plus a bore, say $80. And whatever gaskets cost, Suck it up.

but more importantly - why did this happen? Probably has a tiny driven oil pump which may have failed or stripped plastic cog. Guess should be possible to test with a battery drill, but I'm not up on 4 stroke stuff.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    If the Namura(sp) piston has worked ok for others that would seem the best option. $200 landed plus a bore, say $80. And whatever gaskets cost, Suck it up.

but more importantly - why did this happen? Probably has a tiny driven oil pump which may have failed or stripped plastic cog. Guess should be possible to test with a battery drill.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Which considering it will be doing a lot more revs than a 60s car in a vibrating single. . . Expect to be walking home.
    Good advice to. if you are in the habit of letting fear hold you back from success.

You're not working with a 60's piston and the techniques of metal forming are as relevant today as they have always been. Think it through for yourself and don't let other people limit your ambition.

Thread Information