Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a trailer - Help please

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Given the cost of a new bike trailer that is useless for anything but bikes why not look at a proper trailer and set it up with a couple of removal (unbolt) wheel chocks in the front of the bed and a decent ramp.

I'd be wary of the Bunnings stuff .......

Briford make fantastic trailers that last.
    I bought a new Bunnings trailer about 6 years ago, other than a few bits of light surface rust its very good. Tows nice and I can get two BMW's on it.

I used to buy stuff that was made to last, but its pretty hard to kill one of those XU1 power tools for $25
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Were r u in Auck ? 2g shud see u in a NZ made 8x5 easily . Buy an NZ made trailer . Get the slots added to the front so the front wheels are held in place and use those tie down straps that slip over the bars , MX ones just damage the fairings etc
    Try Trailerworld thr in Waiau Pa , Pinto in Onehunga and the one on Barry's point rd.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

I want a trailer...

I have looked at a few on Trade Me and want a trailer, not a dedicated M/cycle one.
    I want to do both, cart the shit to the tip and put the bike on it too....(not take it to the tip though!) Geez, I bet you read into that one guys...
    The prices seem indicative of the quality, but I would rather have an old school one than a brand new crap one from China!
    Give me good old Trojan easily replaceable parts anyday....

The wants are a tray approx 2300mm but a fold down front would be good and then I can have a smaller footprint. I have a front wheel anchor to mount if required...
    My budget is the limiting factor....

Maybe $800-1300 tops!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=844029034 - This ones local!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=841864619

If you have one that you want to sell in the Waikato let me know or give me some thoughts on these? Or if you see something that I ain't Yell out please...

Bike
    First one looks doesn't look a bad buy. Sitting pretty high though. Take a look and put some weight on it to see if they are really stiff or not. Cage is a bit, uh, yeah, but easy enough to remedy.

Drawbar length on second is better.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    First one looks doesn't look a bad buy. Sitting pretty high though. Take a look and put some weight on it to see if they are really stiff or not. Cage is a bit, uh, yeah, but easy enough to remedy.

Drawbar length on second is better.
    I have a good ramp, it looks like it is sprung well and has a good tray made of strong materials.
    It really only has to hold a bike and some crap, rubbish etc...I am not going to cart tonnes of things.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    I have a good ramp, it looks like it is sprung well and has a good tray made of strong materials.
    It really only has to hold a bike and some crap, rubbish etc...I am not going to cart tonnes of things.
    Meant more for how it tows when there is not much weight on it. Sitting that high is possibly because the springs are a bit firm for the weight of the trailer. The springs in mine are way too firm so it's unsettled/bouncing around unless you have it loaded to the brim. Just one thing I will look at more closely next time I'm buying one, along with the oddball bearing size and stud pattern

Like I said though, that one does look like a great buy. Having the bars along the side so you can tie off anywhere makes life so much easier too.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Id suggest going to an engineer and asking for a quote to build one. they can sort any other bits you want, like removable, bolted in wheel chocks etc for the bikes, that can be removed allowing it to be used as a normal trailer as well, or a toolbox / spare tyre rack on the drawbar etc.Youll get your choice of finish and colour, and specs.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Id suggest going to an engineer and asking for a quote to build one. they can sort any other bits you want, like removable, bolted in wheel chocks etc for the bikes, that can be removed allowing it to be used as a normal trailer as well, or a toolbox / spare tyre rack on the drawbar etc.Youll get your choice of finish and colour, and specs.
    I will not get any change out of $17-1800 I think though?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I will not get any change out of $17-1800 I think though?
    Cost me just under 900 to make.
    Get into it and do the hard yards yourself.
    Mine was registered and warranted by 4pm the same day and painted on day 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer 003.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	308769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer 001.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	592.1 KB 
ID:	308770  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Cost me just under 900 to make.
    Get into it and do the hard yards yourself.
    Mine was registered and warranted by 4pm the same day and painted on day 2.

Nice work but....
    ......want a trailer, not a dedicated M/cycle one. I want the best of both worlds.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Nice work but....
    ......want a trailer, not a dedicated M/cycle one. I want the best of both worlds.
    Frames the same. Cut some metal and make one. Marine ply timber deck. Its not rocket science.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Frames the same. Cut some metal and make one. Marine ply timber deck. Its not rocket science.
    I agree. I could not find a trailer that really suited my needs so I built my own. This carries two super bikes or my GS Adventure plus a camping crate and has a "Nose Cone" for tools, fuel etc ... The attachment rings are on slide outs to improve the angle of the tie down when loading two bikes. They extend to the level of the wheels so they do not stick out on the sides past anything.

Tows like a dream and runs on 10" wheels for ease of loading. Ramp clamps on underneath and behind the axle ...

Galvanised frame and rubbax axle ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer01.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	308771
    "Bring it on !"

Bike
    XR200
    I have had a Lochiel Engineering trailer for 20 years and its still solid, but probably unknown in the North Island.

The Briford trailers are good but rattle: not a problem unless it annoys you.

If I could buy the ideal car trailer for bikes and general use here's what I'd like:

Long drawbar (as Axle says).

Galvanised

7x4 or more precisely 2100mm x 1220mm which leaves a bit of room on each side for 1200 sheets.

Removeable sides with bottom rails for a flat deck to transport bikes and anything else.

Braked is nice but not essential with single axle.

Tipping.

Removeable front and rear gates.

Never mind small tyres, they jump around a lot and are a pain. 14 inch rims and a solid axle with leaf springs. Simple stuff.

My trailer has wide panels over the wheels which makes the carrying capacity wider and that is very useful. Most modern trailers don't have that. No big deal just nice to have.

I'm concious of this stuff because I'm currently loading a double bed, chest of drawers, sofa etc etc on the trailer in the garage and wondering if I can get it to Dunedin without rain.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    You need a VW.

For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    I have looked at a few on Trade Me and want a trailer, not a dedicated M/cycle one.
    I want to do both, cart the shit to the tip and put the bike on it too....(not take it to the tip though!) Geez, I bet you read into that one guys...
    The prices seem indicative of the quality, but I would rather have an old school one than a brand new crap one from China!
    Give me good old Trojan easily replaceable parts anyday....

The wants are a tray approx 2300mm but a fold down front would be good and then I can have a smaller footprint. I have a front wheel anchor to mount if required...
    My budget is the limiting factor....

Maybe $800-1300 tops!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=844029034 - This ones local!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=841864619

If you have one that you want to sell in the Waikato let me know or give me some thoughts on these? Or if you see something that I ain't Yell out please...
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...hlight=trailer

Strange but hes the guy who started this thread

I was going to buy this but have just had to pull out due to an unexpected customs bill on motorcycle parts - Bastards

If your interested me pm me and I will give you the guys number - I only advised him yesterday that it would be a month before I could get it and to sell if he can

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Thread Information