Page 26 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Sleeve valve crank ready for nitriding, a little bit of Davies pump tech! 360 crank is also finished.

Bike
    GPR150

Thumbs up

that looks prity dam cool

Bike
    73 yamaha RT3
    How is the balance on that whole rotating assembly?
    What is vibration going to be like on that motor?

(BTW Uniflow -- this is citabjockey)

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by valvesr4wimps View Post
    How is the balance on that whole rotating assembly?
    What is vibration going to be like on that motor?

(BTW Uniflow -- this is citabjockey)
    citabjockey, I've been hiding on this forum until I've got more to show off ( a running engine for example ). 360 rotary valve engine is moving along slowly, I've just finished the crank for it also.
    Ballance, yes I certainly understand this type of crank will need careful attention to the ballance. You will see three holes for bob weights ( mallory metal ) plus the crank case will house a ballance shaft. A necessity I would think. Hows the RT going?

Bike
    73 yamaha RT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    citabjockey, I've been hiding on this forum until I've got more to show off ( a running engine for example ). 360 rotary valve engine is moving along slowly, I've just finished the crank for it also.
    Ballance, yes I certainly understand this type of crank will need careful attention to the ballance. You will see three holes for bob weights ( mallory metal ) plus the crank case will house a ballance shaft. A necessity I would think. Hows the RT going?
    Flettner, I think TSM is close to dead -- it is a morgue over there. Too bad. Glad to see you still making progress on these amazing pieces of work that you do! The RT is fine. I put gas in one hole, oil in the other and ride it. The way things should be. I love simple motors.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Good to hear the RT is still going strong! My Kawasaki is in bits getting the carb taken out , back to EFI , for me this season!

Here is the sleeve assembly together, pins are just some old broken cutters just to hold things together for now.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Here is the sleeve assembly together, pins are just some old broken cutters just to hold things together for now.
    All looking good so far, like the ballrace bearings on the sleeve conrods!, guess those rods are ally?
    Will the sleeve be lubed from the normal two stroke mix?

Mallory Metal? what the hell is it? - guess i've been out of the scene for so long and I haven't managed to keep up!

My son and his family who have been staying have gone off to Dubai now so I'll have peace and quiet to get on with my furnace again (ie if I can get myself shifted).

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    All looking good so far, like the ballrace bearings on the sleeve conrods!, guess those rods are ally?
    Will the sleeve be lubed from the normal two stroke mix?

Mallory Metal? what the hell is it? - guess i've been out of the scene for so long and I haven't managed to keep up!

My son and his family who have been staying have gone off to Dubai now so I'll have peace and quiet to get on with my furnace again (ie if I can get myself shifted).
    Rods are 7075, normal twostroke mix, Mallory metal? Not sure but it's machinable and heavy, I think tungsten that has been sinttered into bar form. Lead moves too much and may not be heavy enough.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack

Broken cutters!!! Only naughty machinists have those around

Loving your work on this, really looking forward to seeing the final product!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Broken cutters!!! Only naughty machinists have those around
    There are quite a few broken milling cutters (and naughty machinists) around!
    Handiest material for a multitude of jobs I reckon - good hard material mainly for boring bars, good for centre punches, crankpins?
    Anyway, I always pocket any I happen to find lying around!

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    There are quite a few broken milling cutters (and naughty machinists) around!
    Handiest material for a multitude of jobs I reckon - good hard material mainly for boring bars, good for centre punches, crankpins?
    Anyway, I always pocket any I happen to find lying around!
    Shhhh you'll give away all the secrets. I've got draws of broken cutters around. 8 years of running a machining center saved up

Bike
    73 yamaha RT3
    Where those sleeve rods attach to the sleeve -- that kind of looks like a possible fatigue failure point. Is the sleeve material beefed up there at all? Can't see in the photos...

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI

Sleeve has lugs, although they are a little thinner now, 5mm wide, 8mm pins. Sleeve has only a 24mm stroke, piston 54mm

Remember that this is a twostroke so should have a positive push down on the con rods ( the sleeve has a surface area exposed to combustion pressure ), rods should never be under tension ( much ).

Yes cutters! Iscar do well out of us.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Remember that this is a twostroke so should have a positive push down on the con rods ( the sleeve has a surface area exposed to combustion pressure ),rods should never be under tension ( much ).
    When you say that the sleeve surface area is exposed to combustion pressure, are you anticipating that it will be pressed (or "bulged"?) against the outer bore and so may not require some sort of ring near the top?

I guess it's possible with this configuration that the usual two stroke low rev "stutter" will disappear?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    When you say that the sleeve surface area is exposed to combustion pressure, are you anticipating that it will be pressed (or "bulged"?) against the outer bore and so may not require some sort of ring near the top?

That is the amazing thing about Ricardos sleeve design is that it requires no top ring. Apparently the sleeve expands untill it transfers heat to the cylinder surface, self regulating. The top of the sleeve ( 2mm thick ) will get pushed down with combustion pressure, it's the top of the sleeve that uncovers the exhaust ports. Yes I know that sounds like rubbish and I'm sure seizure will probably occur, but I want to find out myself, I have a few other ideas to add.

I guess it's possible with this configuration that the usual two stroke low rev "stutter" will disappear?
    Yes the uniflow style engine ( of which this is one ) has a much cleaner cylinder fill even at low speeds, it makes the engine tune much like a fourstroke. You can have them quite lean or rich and they will run clean, ie no fourstroking.

I have your drum here now, I'll see if I can send it up, thanks.

oops, part of my reply is in the quote, sorry.

Thread Information