Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMMMM Ride 2015

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

MMMMM Ride 2015

The world famous Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride is on again 22-23 August

Similar format to last time:

The ride will kick off from the Rangitaiki Tavern on the Napier-Taupo Rd Saturday morning at 8am sharp. There is food, beer, basic cabins & camping there for those who want to arrive Friday night. Phone them on 07 384 2803 to book yourself a bed.

More comfy accommodation, & extra bunks are also available 5km back down the road towards Taupo at the Rangitaiki Lodge. They have a couple of nice motel units, some tidy cabins & a bunkhouse. Call them on 07 384 2800 to book. As the Lodge bar usually closes at 8 the main Friday night gathering/meal/beers will be back at the pub.

8am Saturday we will leave the Pub & head North along the Waipunga Rd. We will use the cornerman system through the forest to Minginui. The challenge section we have done in the past is blocked by fallen trees at present so we will do a short side trip up to a forest lookout. This is suitable for all bikes but pay attention on the last little bit if it's been wet.

If anyone wants to join in at Minginui go hard. We will stop in at the Waikaremoana Motor Camp for a coffee & fuel.

We will then continue on from Waikaremoana, to Wairoa (if you need gas), Tiniroto Pub for some refreshments & a few backroads to Matawai. I will post up a route sheet & GPS tracks so people can do their own pace Minginui - Matawai & have the choice of bypassing Wairoa on backroads if time & fuel range permits. You need 230km fuel range to bypass Wairoa.

At Matawai there is accommodation at the Pub ph 06 862 4874 & the campground over the road has basic bunks, ph 06 862 4800 or 027 445 8755.

The Matawai pub does a good dinner, they may do a buffet, watch here for details. If you want dinner at the pub & are not staying there give them a call & let them know so they have an idea on numbers.

On the Sunday we'll head off down the Motu Rd to Opotiki, From there the route is routesheeted again via some highway & a few more backroads back to my place at Rotoiti. There are a few side trip options if for Sunday if the weather's nice too.

Any trailer scum planning to attend are welcome to drop their car & trailer at my place for the weekend. If you are traveling far from home & would like to crash on my couch on the Sunday night get in touch.

Remember this is a MIDWINTER ride. Based on previous MMMMM rides there is an 85% chance it will rain, a 30% chance of snow, an 80% chance it will be bloody cold & a 100% chance that all those mad enough to do the whole ride will have lots of fun. The main route is all tar & gravel roads, nothing technical, do able on any adventure bike with any tyres. Some of the gravel is often fairly rough & muddy though so you will enjoy the ride more with some knobbyish rubber, particularly if you are a n00b or on a bigger bike.

Distances:

Taupo - Rangitaiki Pub - 35 km (no fuel)
    Rangitaiki Pub - Minginui - 75km (no fuel)
    Minginui - Waikaremoana 70km (thats 180km from Taupo - pack extra gas if you've got a small tank)
    Waikaremoana - Wairoa 60km (Waikaremoana - Matawai on Ohuka Rd etc 230km)
    Wairoa - Matawai 180km
    Matawai - Opotiki 75km

Routesheet now attached. Same as last year. GPS track is over on ADV: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-2015.1084236/

I will probably head over to Rangitaiki on the Friday through the forest as usual. Leaving my place 3pm

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Thumbs up Trailer Scum Again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    The world famous Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness Ride is on again 22-23 August

Similar format to last time:

Any trailer scum planning to attend are welcome to drop their car & trailer at my place for the weekend. If you are traveling far from home & would like to crash on my couch on the Sunday night get in touch.

Will post up routesheets & GPS tracks in due course.

I will probably head over to Rangitaiki on the Friday through the forest as usual. Leaving my place 3pm

Cheers
    Clint
    Booked, see you at your place on the friday arvo.
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    In

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Bugger have an event on that weekend, been up there lots lately anyway including play in the snow in the cage. Have fun
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    4skins an I are in.
    Those ghey road race bastids will have to start their own races that weekend...

Bike
    2008 BMW F800 GS
    Hmmmmm. May be time to show my face again.............
    It wasn't me, it was like that when I found it. Honest.

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Cool Will dust off the Tiger....

See you at yours Friday Clint.
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Hi Clint and Rosie,
    Would so love to join you again for the Saturday loop but I have a plate with it's 7 screws being removed from my right wrist 4 days before MMMMM.
    Last of the metal work to come out from an off at an organised farm trail ride 6 years ago.

Have fun and take care all
    If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride !

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Clint I (we?) are still unsure. I see that the Matawai Pub is full, what are the facilities like at the camping ground?

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    Clint I (we?) are still unsure. I see that the Matawai Pub is full, what are the facilities like at the camping ground?
    Very Basic, they are converted shipping containers with bunks in them and torches in the roof for lights.

There is a house accross the road from the pub that others have stayed in in the past, but i dont know the contact details for them.
    Maybe someone else will chime in with the Ph Number, or you could try ringing Essie at the pub, she may know.
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Yep, ask Essie about the house in Matawai. Another option some people used last time was the Motu Community House - contact Paul Cornwall 06 8635002.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Yep, ask Essie about the house in Matawai. Another option some people used last time was the Motu Community House - contact Paul Cornwall 06 8635002.

Cheers
    Clint
    I just rang the Matawai campground owner and booked for 2 of us. The proprietor said another person ( John? ) wanted to book 2 people prior to my call but he didn't want to open just for a small number of people - if you are going, please call him and book. There are bunks, hot showers and other camp facilities according to him.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by tas152 View Post
    I just rang the Matawai campground owner and booked for 2 of us. The proprietor said another person ( John? ) wanted to book 2 people prior to my call but he didn't want to open just for a small number of people - if you are going, please call him and book. There are bunks, hot showers and other camp facilities according to him.

Cheers

Peter
    Yup, it was John (4skins).

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    GPS track now up on ADV along with some Nav tech notes:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-27318438

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2013 ktm 1190
    G'day Clint,
    I'm keen to join in. Meet you at minginui - waikaremoana road junction Saturday Morning. What time do you expect to arrive there? I've booked a house 12 km out of Matawai for Saturday night for me and missus, 2 spare bed rooms if anyone is having trouble finding accomodation. Ring/ txt me on 0275 875115 for details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information