Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selwyn River (Canterbury) ride on Sun 22 June

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S

Selwyn River (Canterbury) ride on Sun 22 June

Gidday,

Been a while since I've suggested a ride and I'm seriously sick of studying (doing a masters at Uni) so whatchall on Sun arvo? Meet up will be at Rolleston BP at 1300 on Sunday and I expect the ride will take about 3-4 hours depending on speeds and how far we go.

The Selwyn river is generally loose soft stones when there is no sand about and harder stony riverbed when there is sand. Generally you are either dealing with loose rutted stones (you'll understand when you see it) or hard track that has dips and banks in it (if you into jumping it can be fun). There is potential for some water crossings but they should shallow at this time of year.

All bikes will be capable it but it can be tiring to ride. El took his XTZ 750 down there a couple of weeks ago and had a blast but did find it a bit interesting till he got in the groove of riding in the loose stones. If your unsure about riding on loose stuff then come along and use this as a learning experiance - I'm more than willing to help where I can. The reason I say this is because there is about 8 points along the 30km stretch that we can bail out of the river if it is becoming too much.

The attached pic shows the bit of the river we can ride. We will start at the south eastern end of the green line and head upstream (that way if the river crossings start to get too deep it is easy to head downstream again).

Cheers
    Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Selwyn River.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	98421  
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    that is exactly the opposite of what you were saying last week! You are supposed to be doing the uni thing and/or giving quality time to SWMBO.
    Oh well, if you are going out to the Selwyn then it sounds like a good time to take the CRF out for a run.
    I will just have to head back out past the entry point before I go home.

Wasn't there a geocache out there somewhere to check out too?
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    that is exactly the opposite of what you were saying last week! You are supposed to be doing the uni thing and/or giving quality time to SWMBO.
    Oh well, if you are going out to the Selwyn then it sounds like a good time to take the CRF out for a run.
    I will just have to head back out past the entry point before I go home.

Wasn't there a geocache out there somewhere to check out too?
    Brownie points earned last week to this week I get half a day off

Umm Wasn't planning on going back to the start but .........

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    ...Umm Wasn't planning on going back to the start but .........

Cheers R
    You don't have to but if I go with the CRF then obviously I will be, wether it is back down the riverbed or likely along the roads near it.
    I can't think of anything interesting that I'd be missing by doing a double back instead of the other long straight flat options.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    None for now
    I shall be there,if the bike doesn't pack a sad in the meantime.
    Nevermind the Bollocks

Bike
    DRZ 400E / Gas Gas Pampera / CT110

Thumbs up

Sounds good, count me in (on condition I can get the day off work)

What does SWMBO mean?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by peachvw View Post
    Sounds good, count me in (on condition I can get the day off work)

What does SWMBO mean?
    She Who Must Be Obeyed - between work, motorcycling and masters she hasn't had much of my time lately.

Cheers R

Bike
    2006 KLR 650
    Im keen, Ill be taking the KLX though, obviously should be alright for non- registered dirtbikes. Transalper, do you want to share a ride or a trailer? Save on gas???????

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugzy23 View Post
    ....Transalper, do you want to share a ride or a trailer? Save on gas???????
    Yep, sounds like a good idea.

Bike
    2006 KLR 650
    Roger, PM you later in the week

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Looks like it could be a bit damp on Sunday. I'm still going as it is my only chance to get outside for the week. Check again closer to the time.

Cheers R

Bike
    DRZ400
    Only been out with you guys once before and that was quite a while ago but would like to tag along tomorrow for the ride.

Me and a mate (another Pom) will be travelling up from the Leeston side and meet you on the Selwyn at the entry point if that is OK.

What time do you reckon you will be at the Selwyn?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I imagine it'd be about 1:20pm-ish. at the entry point of the river if everyone is at the Rolliston garage on time.

Bike
    DRZ400
    See you there at 1420 ish.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Assume you meen 1320 ish... (1:20pm).

Thread Information