Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    I also have a really cool cover "thingy" to put the iPad in. Really strong and robust, provides enough protection that I would be happy sliding the iPad down into a pannier etc. Can't remember the name at the moment but if you are interested I can find it out.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Ah, very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    .... 3 weeks into my trip my camera says memory card error - please reformat the card!! I lost all the photos I had taken up to that point)
    Assuming you had a spare card in your kit, as soon as you got that error you should have pulled that card from the camera and kept it aside until you got home and then run some recovery software on it in your PC, you most likely would have recovered most of the photos.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Ah, very good.

Assuming you had a spare card in your kit, as soon as you got that error you should have pulled that card from the camera and kept it aside until you got home and then run some recovery software on it in your PC, you most likely would have recovered most of the photos.

I did stop taking photos (I was on my way to Everest Base Camp) and as I didnt have a spare card I bought one at Namche Bazaar on the trek out. The local shop managed to recover maybe 80 photos.

I now have carry spare cards and of course an iPhone also as a back up for photos.

The grunty box to put an iPad in comes from Otter Box.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    3 weeks into my trip my camera says memory card error - please reformat the card!! I lost all the photos I had taken up to that point)
    Ahh. I regularly have to recover peoples files from camera cards that have done that. No problems at all.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    If I was looking for a tablet for photoy type stuff, it'd be an Acer. They have a nice USB port you can plug in a keyboard, mouse, usb stick, external harddrive, camera to.

But I'd still get a Samsung Galaxy Tablet instead.

The problem with the iPad card reader is then you're only using the iPad's storage for backup. How many photos is that at 1-2,000 per day?
    Getting them off the iPad is a mission too. Either use iTunes or mail them to yourself.
    The Android devices seem to be much more flexible than the iDevices.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    I have been using Outdoor Atlas (with NZ maps addon) for android, they have just updated and you can now bulk download maps (previously you had to manually browse regions so they were cached for later use while out of cell range).

My device is now downloading 1.3gb of maps which will be pretty good resolution of the entire north island.

Does not have autorouting or anything, it just reads gps location and shows where you are on what is eseentially a multi resolution image (zoomable to whatever level you have cached).

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I have been using Outdoor Atlas (with NZ maps addon) for android.
    Looks similar to DualSport Maps.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Looks similar to DualSport Maps.
    Yeah appears similar. but free

I think I have about 3gb of maps loaded for my trip next week. Will probably not get used as I only use the GPS when I am proper lost (which of course mostly almost never usually happens).

I do carry my old cellphone which is a Windows mobile running Garmin XT software which works nicely with auto routing. But that feels like cheating. I was thinking of selling that phone, if anyone is interested shout out (phone is pretty crap but the GPS/software is pretty handy)

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's

5" GPS mount....

just got this GPS mount to fit a 5" unit in...
    good when yer eyes are no longer up to
    those little hand held GPS screens..
    It well made.. the touch screen still works.
    has a block of foam in it to keep the unit tight
    well worth the $30NZ shiped off E-bay if yer
    need a bigger screen..can get them for 4" & 5" units..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GN032-WPCS-5...11236797457059
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSA41827.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	259810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSA41826.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	259811  
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    800XC

can you "turn off" waypoints

G'day can you turn off the waypoints when you are following a route and just follow the "purple brick road"? not a lot of use having the waypoints on the screen and then the old APPROACHING 027 annoys the hell out of me - anyone got any suggestions to help a grumpy old man be not so grumpy?
    Cheers

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    G'day can you turn off the waypoints when you are following a route and just follow the "purple brick road"? not a lot of use having the waypoints on the screen and then the old APPROACHING 027 annoys the hell out of me - anyone got any suggestions to help a grumpy old man be not so grumpy?
    Cheers
    That's on the MAP60csx isn't it?
    I think you can turn off the "Approaching ...." bit but not so sure about the flags or blocks or what ever your way or via points show as.

Suppose you want to know how next.... must go now and think on it, not so easy as I don't have the 60 here to play with but I do have it's manual on file.

edit1... it's not the Guidence text you're talking about is it?
    if so when in the map screen press menu to get the context menu, select 'guidance text', choose 'always off'.

edit2... waypoints etc. you may be able to turn them off by using the 'Map Setup - Points Page'. By default I think zoom levels are set to Auto but there may be an off option. So same again.... from the map displaying page press 'MENU' then select 'Setup Map' this time and move across to the 'Flag' icon and you'll see your options.

edit3.... You could also check you have the 'Next Turn Pop-up' turned off too... Press 'Menu' twice to get the 'Setup Menu', choose 'Routing Setup', find 'Next Turn Pop-up', select 'Off'.

That's about all I can offer over the web.
    Last edited by Transalper; 16th March 2012 at 16:50. Reason: edit3
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    That's on the MAP60csx isn't it?

That's about all I can offer over the web.
    Yep 60CSx - thanks TA - all good options, now all I have got to do is get out there and test them

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Garmin suck !!! I have been waiting on the phone for 25min now trying to find out about my zumo550. It has started playing up. doing crazy stuff like coming up with GARMIN EUROPE GO on the screen, shifting screens by itself, RESET ALL USER DATA on screen and other things.
    I believe that you can exchange the unit for a reconditioned one for about $280. All I get is some "TWANGY" Aussie womans voice saying they are busy and my call is important to them. How the F##k would they know whether its important. You have to answer the phone to find that out !!!
    32mins now

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

FYI Aussie gps maps

Just a lil note for those looking for an Aussie gps map.

Got a full set for Oz from this guy off Trademe, came on SD card was $64inc and was easy as to use. No probs so far.
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    92 R80 GS

Garmin BaseCamp

Is anyone out there a wiz on garmins Basecamp program ?

Thread Information