Page 10 of 233 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    After a rather wet/slushy Adventure Assult run this w/end gone, I am very impressed with the tyre combination on the scrambler.
    I'm still being quite cautious with the TKC on the front, but it has given a safe run so far. Off seal? Bloody marvelous. There is no way I could of stayed with the main bunch on the standard suspension/trailwing hoops.
    Thumbs up.

Bike
    KTM990 / TLR200 / KLX250S
    Good luck trying to get that front TKC to scare ya on the seal. If you can then ya probably really deep in the shit ayway and nothings going to save ya.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

TKC 80s

I replaced the bridgestone knobs with TKC's both ends and man, what a difference! The front feels planted off road and far more controlable while the rear again has more bite, mind you, the rear wasn't exactly full of tread previously. The rear brakes well and is controlable when sliding while the front is very hard to break out and on the odd occasion when it let go it gripped again quickly. I only had one occasion when they both let go on the Whangamomona ride (1100km, 50% gravel) and I had to put a foot down, the other times they let go they gripped before I needed a foot down.
    So... great in hard pack, gravel, wet & slimy, and light clay conditions.

On road, the back steps out earlier than I would have expected ie. I haven't got to the edge of the tread yet, but again, it slides nicely and will hang out on throttle quite nicely. The front feels good but I have a ways to go to wear those moulding "feelers" off yet. Some of this is due to the DR geometry, it seems hard to get the front tyre right over to its edge.
    In the wet both ends feel planted, neither end likes those slick tar patches but again after sliding they hook up without any drama.

Overall, a happy camper, TKCs work for me!

Bike
    f800r, hank the postie, tfzr125
    I just replaced the rear on my DRZ-400 with a Dunlop D908. It's pretty fantastic.. might also help that I went with a 130/90 over the stock 110/100. Still have the TKC-80 on the front as it does pretty well. But highly recommend the D908. Running on the beach, or through wet clay is great, eats gravel like nothin' and will still let me go mono on wet pavement. What more could you ask for?

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    As a complete novice to off road it has been really helpful to read the info in this thread; so thanks to everyone contributing.
    I just bought a Japper 2006 Dakar with 7600 km on the clock. The tryres will be on their way to the next life soon and so I am considering what to fit next.
    The bike came with Mitchelin Siracs, which I presume with the clock figure are the stock tyre fitted from new. Just based on mountain biking experience these tyres look too road orientated and I get the sense will not handle much off the road except dry well laid forstry track.
    The obvious choices appear to be the TKC80, MT70 and T63 but these are all the expensive brands; I liked the look of the Kenda K270 but someone dissed that in an earlier post. Anyone had a positive experience with it? Any Dakar riders have a favourite tyre they would recommend?
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
    The obvious choices appear to be the TKC80, MT70 and T63 but these are all the expensive brands; I liked the look of the Kenda K270 but someone dissed that in an earlier post.
    That would be me, then! Definitely would not recommend them to a novice rider.

I'm now running an IRC TR-8 front, it is more open than a TKC80 and likely to be a lot cheaper, too. Feels better on the dirt, and I don't find it lacking on the tar. Could be two reasons for the latter: 1) I've only ridden it to/from the Brass Monkey in winter on lots of dirt, and 2) the previous tyre was an FIM-spec knobby. Front grip doesn't seem to be an issue for the Adventure on the tar.

IRC TR-8 (left) - Continental TKC80 (right)
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Thanks Warewolf, just looked at the web site, the IRC TR8 looks just the ticket. Used IRC on the Mountain Bike with some success previously. Hopefully that will save some $$$ comapred to the TKC80.

So the next question. Can anyone local advise a Crusader where he can get his stead reshod with the TRC in the local area? Somewhere that offers good value all round: nice price, get the tyres the right way round, tighten all the nuts and for good service check your chain tension and adjust while there at it! Cycletreads seems to get a few mentions in the thread?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Thanks Warewolf, just looked at the web site, the IRC TR8 looks just the ticket. Used IRC on the Mountain Bike with some success previously. Hopefully that will save some $$$ comapred to the TKC80.

So the next question. Can anyone local advise a Crusader where he can get his stead reshod with the TRC in the local area? Somewhere that offers good value all round: nice price, get the tyres the right way round, tighten all the nuts and for good service check your chain tension and adjust while there at it! Cycletreads seems to get a few mentions in the thread?
    Buy the tyre from Pit lane (chch's Cycletreads) and fit it at home yourself. You know it will be done right that way. Good practice for when you are out in the bush

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Also note, you're in NZ now, don't be surprised if some tyres are temporarily out of stock, sometimes it pays to order before you need.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Also note, you're in NZ now, don't be surprised if some tyres are temporarily out of stock, sometimes it pays to order before you need.
    For varying lengths of "temporary".

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Hi Warewolf; went into Pit Lane in CHCH yesterday and they told me they had made an enquiry on the IRC TR8 a couple of weeks ago and it was not being brought into NZ. Also said IRC prices were creeping up and that there would not be a lot of dollars difference to the TKC80. Any thoughts??

Couple of general questions to throw out there. I decided to take the advice posted of changing these tyres myself to be more trail ready. I'm looking at my home set up to do this and the first thing that strikes me is that some West German engineer decided that the Dakar should not have a centre stand! Difficult at home, but can be overcome with track stands, but a real challenge presented on the trail. I assume it is left off so as not to snag in off road riding. My thought is to retro fit the centre stand. Any thoughts or experience?

Also any help on where I might get a T40 and T45 allen key or screwdriver bit? The allen keys are missing from the toolkit. Tried Bunnings, Mitre 10, etc.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    some West German engineer decided that the Dakar should not have a centre stand! Difficult at home, but can be overcome with track stands, but a real challenge presented on the trail. I assume it is left off so as not to snag in off road riding. My thought is to retro fit the centre stand. Any thoughts or experience?
    "Wunderlich" puts out a large range of aftermarket stuff for the BMW, including a centre stand.

http://www.motohansa.com.au/wunderlich_f650.htm

Quite a few other nifty ideas as well as the stand.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Wolf, brilliant, thanks for that site. Do you know if they ship to NZ? Site is not that clear.

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Also any help on where I might get a T40 and T45 allen key or screwdriver bit? The allen keys are missing from the toolkit. Tried Bunnings, Mitre 10, etc.[/QUOTE]

HI there,

In regard to centre stand I have one fitted on my Dakar, have never had a problem with it getting snagged. I would recommend getting one as great for changing tyres and bike takes up far less room in the garage when sitting upright.
    In relation to tools, go to Toolking on Main South Road near Springs Rd, they have good sets or Torax allen keys which I think you will be refering to

Rgds Matt
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    All of them
    Love TKCs on AND off road. Buuuutttttt.....

We stuck them on the Tiger.

Thurs: Fitted new TKCs
    Friday: Auckland to Welly
    Saturday: Capital Coast
    Sunday: Welly to Akl
    Monday: get new tyres.

If I could get trail wings for the tractor I would run them.
    I think they are the best allrounder.

Thread Information