Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Turbo performance?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    My take of this is: the turbo is NOT 'accumulating' heat during idle to the extent it did during a high-load fang, it would only be as hot as a regular exhaust manifold if just left at idle - but during the high-load fang it creates heat, lots of it after that the temp drops as the load drops.

The oil flowing through the turbo while the motor is idling (whether with a timer or otherwise) will keep the bearings lubed as (I may be wrong - again!) shutting down after 'giving it heaps' the oil-pressure drops to zilch - but the turbo-shaft will still be spinning a bit.

And a steady flow of oil through the turbo will cool it as the oil will be way cooler than the turbo housing.
    After a mental fang I can see why you'd cool it down, but I'm talking about Joe Boyracer in his Starlet GT.
    Or do people really thrash their cars that hard and just turn 'em off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    After a mental fang I can see why you'd cool it down, but I'm talking about Joe Boyracer in his Starlet GT.
    Or do people really thrash their cars that hard and just turn 'em off?
    Most modern cars have watercooled turbo bearing housings anyway, don't they?

Also the problem with hot turbo/no oil flow (ie motor turned off) is not that the shaft keeps spinning unlubricated as much as the oil that is in the bearings becomng burned, turning to bits of carbon and clogging passages, scoring shafts and so on .
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2001 Duc 7 4 8 R
    So from a performance point of view what would be the best turbo combo ?

My thoughts would be shot of NOS to spin up a Turbo nto it's working range , on demand methonal injection to stop detonation on full boost (rather than backing off ignition timing). Water to air intercooler and a air ram cold air box.
    Last edited by Mooch; 12th March 2012 at 19:27. Reason: one day I will be able to spell
    It's not a beer pot .... It's a fuel tank for a sex machine

Trip of a life time http://www.buenosaires-caracas.com.ar/tours.html
    Trip details here

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post

Also the problem with hot turbo/no oil flow (ie motor turned off) is not that the shaft keeps spinning unlubricated as much as the oil that is in the bearings becomng burned, turning to bits of carbon and clogging passages, scoring shafts and so on .
    Water cooling seems to be uber common, kind of annoying when looking for the right turbo for the bike too as I'd like ball bearings and small, already a limited choice and don't really want to run water pipes.

That makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    So from a performance point of view what would be the best turbo combo ?

My thoughts would be shot of NOS to spin up a Turbo nto it's working range , on demand methonal injection to stop detonation on full boost (rather than backing off ignition timing). Water to air intercooler and a air ramp cold air box.
    Sounds like a good plan
    Variable vale timing and lift helps a shit load too, along with a variable vane turbo
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    hehehe... ok my turn, you lot going on about turbo's still spinning after an engine is shut down, well think about it, it only spins due to exhaust gasses flowing through it, stop the gasses and the turbo stops... if the turbo was still to spin after an engine was shut down then were would the air its compresing go? cant go in the engine cos its not going simple as there is only one way in and one way out for the gasses as soon as they stop flowing the turbo stops spinning.

Thus why we use homo fluff off valves (actually common oem fitments mostely with diesels but quite due to them being vented into the exhaust or manifold)
    When the engine revs drop during a gear change so does the turbo, it then needs to spool up again this causing a drop in power... so a blow off valves releses the presure going into it allowing it to spin freely and maintaing reves till the next gear is selected and the engine revs raise.

If a blow off was to open when a engine is shut down the yes the turbo would keep spinning.
    Cos the turbo does stop spinning any oil in it would fry on the spot, hence the need to do a few revolitions to allow cooler oil through it that has just come from the oil cooler.

daa daaa... how'd I do
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    So in that case, every time you shut the engine off you stall the compressor? I think maybe we should never shut our motors off

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    hehehe... ok my turn, you lot going on about turbo's still spinning after an engine is shut down, well think about it, it only spins due to exhaust gasses flowing through it, stop the gasses and the turbo stops... if the turbo was still to spin after an engine was shut down then were would the air its compresing go? cant go in the engine cos its not going simple as there is only one way in and one way out for the gasses as soon as they stop flowing the turbo stops spinning.
    daa daaa... how'd I do
    Not so well, you forgot about inertia...

I've seen turbo's happily spin for some time after a car has been shut off on a Dyno before.
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post

I've seen turbo's happily spin for some time after a car has been shut off on a Dyno before.
    SoDangerous!!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!
    Like I tell my kids, look with your eyes, not with your hands :-)
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DL 650
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Had a guy on the yard one day tell me if you had a turbo timer you didn't need an intercooler. I didn't bother explaining to him the difference, I just simply drew him a little picture of what they each did, and then asked him to explain what he said again.
    When I bought the Triton I had the salesman try to tell me you didn't need to cool the turbo because the intercooler did that, had to get one of his mechanics in to set him straight.

The handbook even states that the engine should be idled after heavy load to cool the turbo, it doesn't say how long though.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    SoDangerous!!!
    hehe, yeah was trying to get the thread alive again, but alas its on its way out no fishing to be had

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    When I bought the Triton
    The handbook even states that the engine should be idled after heavy load to cool the turbo, it doesn't say how long though.
    yeah but LOL its a Mitsi
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post

Yeah I had a rumbling turbo issue in the past, you could hear it spinning for a surprisingly long time after shutting down the motor.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post

As Dangerous said...
    That'd be to cover their asses in the case of "premature turbo failure".
    Premature failure of anything is a Mitsi trait

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    As Dangerous said...
    That'd be to cover their asses in the case of "premature turbo failure".
    Premature failure of anything is a Mitsi trait
    premuture hmmm not good hehe oh your taliign cars okay i knew that

Oh just there automatics just ask lincon friends whould cost over 2000 but was covered under

warrenty

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post

Thats why have turbo timers problem solved easy . whould seem bit wried walking away car still running

Thread Information