Thread: Moto GP Marshalls.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.

Moto GP Marshalls.

While watching the Moto 2 class on TV at The Gran Premio Bwin De Espana Circuit Sunday night l was amazed with the actions of the Marshalls who ran out onto the track while the race was still running to pick up a bike which a rider had fallen off which was lying near the edge. Yellow flags were being waved to let fellow riders know that there was an incident ahead.
    Also there was another incident where a rider had fallen off his machine but managed to get back up on his feet and pick his bike up and then he was trying to restart it with the help of the Marshalls pushing his bike with the rider on it right.
    Once the bike started and the rider continued on with his racing the Marshalls then ran off the track on the opposite side they entered.
    I remember a few years back where Marshalls had gone out onto the track to help fallen riders while the race was still going and lost their lives by being hit by Riders who were still Racing and never saw them until it was too late.
    I know the track needs to be cleared but isn't it safer to clear it once all of the bikes have passed the area and then it is safer for the Marshalls to go onto the track to retrieve fallen machines without putting their lives at risk?.
    Your thoughts!!!!

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    A lot more pressure to get the track clear and keep the bikes rolling at that level. But also there's a hell of a lot more training and flag points everywhere. As for the riders, you don't get to the ride at that level if you miss flags.

It's a different ball game at that level.

I can't remember the last time a Marshal was hit at World Championship level.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    I can't remember the last time a Marshal was hit at World Championship level.
    Do you remember that 600 SS race from Assen (I think it was) years ago. Oil down, and bikes fucking flying everywhere!

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Do you remember that 600 SS race from Assen (I think it was) years ago. Oil down, and bikes fucking flying everywhere!
    May have missed it or my memory really is shit. But sounds like the sort of conditions where it gets called off rather than risk hurting anyone.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    May have missed it or my memory really is shit. But sounds like the sort of conditions where it gets called off rather than risk hurting anyone.
    Here it be Cuz!!!

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

They have more important things than safety to consider.

Like television schedules! Can't be holding up the race unless it's absolutely necessary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i just slammed my cock in the car door. Im going to complain to holden, as they didnt put a sign on the door advising me to either wear pants, or avoid slamming it on my penis.
    Fucksake. Hang yourself.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    If it's like Auckland MCC - stopped a race because of a mass of bikes down at Railway corner. We're all in the middle of the track, clearing up (there was a rider down and out), when some wally waved the start flag on the grid and we suddenly hear the massed roar of a restart! One of the flag marshalls was standing on the side of the track waving every yellow flag they had, but.....blind race face......fuck all of them slowed down until they were trying to thread around us, and then it was all our fault for standing there waving at them trying to protect the rider who was still groggy as with an ambo checking him out........there were some harsh words said.......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    If it's like Auckland MCC - stopped a race because of a mass of bikes down at Railway corner. We're all in the middle of the track, clearing up (there was a rider down and out), when some wally waved the start flag on the grid and we suddenly hear the massed roar of a restart! One of the flag marshalls was standing on the side of the track waving every yellow flag they had, but.....blind race face......fuck all of them slowed down until they were trying to thread around us, and then it was all our fault for standing there waving at them trying to protect the rider who was still groggy as with an ambo checking him out........there were some harsh words said.......
    Sounds like someone needs a kick in the arse for starting a race when the track is most definitely not clear. There's a difference between stopping a race and restarting a race when the track isn't clear. One is a decision made by those in control and the other just isn't done.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke girl View Post
    I know the track needs to be cleared but isn't it safer to clear it once all of the bikes have passed the area and then it is safer for the Marshalls to go onto the track to retrieve fallen machines without putting their lives at risk?.
    Your thoughts!!!!
    In some situations, that delay can mean the difference between life and death.

Not sure if you're doing deliberately or not, but we've had some "spirited" debates on this before. AMCC marshals do go out onto the live track to assist fallen riders (but their own safety is number 1), whereas other clubs have the policy that no-one moves until bikes are in pits. Both sides I think have agreed to disagree, thinking the other is crazy.

Personally, I've marshalled with AMCC for over half a decade, every event unless it clashes with something in my schedule and have no problem going onto a live track. When points chief, all new marshals are given a basic briefing to begin with, and it starts with their safety being number 1. I've dropped bikes in the past and will continue to do so if I don't feel safe. When attending any incident an eye is kept on the track for new issues, and we've certainly had them before. I've been first on scene of a few majors, and people would have been worse off if we had waited until the bikes were in the pits (bikes and rigs on top of riders etc). Also had incidents where racers have crashed in the very same spot we'd only just cleared less than a minute prior, arguably making it much safer for them - but racers are a very speshal bunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '01 RC51 SP1, '19 EXC300
    At Paeroa this year I was at the hairpin when a bike went down. I waited until the field went past, then went to assist the rider. I could see that his footpeg had broken off and there was no way he could continue and I was trying to remove his bike from the track. However he was obviously pumped on adrenaline, still trying to re-plug in his kill switch, and wouldn't let me move his bike. Problem is, Paeroa is such a short circuit that the leaders came around quite a bit sooner than I expected. While I would like to think it they were being careful because of the waved yellow, we ended up with bikes running both inside AND outside of us. Suffice to say, I'll be leaving the bike there next time If the rider won't cooperate quickly enough.
    What part of for(int i=0xC02;putchar((i&7)+69)&&(i>>=3); ); don't you understand?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    In some situations, that delay can mean the difference between life and death.

Not sure if you're doing deliberately or not, but we've had some "spirited" debates on this before. AMCC marshals do go out onto the live track to assist fallen riders (but their own safety is number 1), whereas other clubs have the policy that no-one moves until bikes are in pits. Both sides I think have agreed to disagree, thinking the other is crazy.

Personally, I've marshalled with AMCC for over half a decade, every event unless it clashes with something in my schedule and have no problem going onto a live track. When points chief, all new marshals are given a basic briefing to begin with, and it starts with their safety being number 1. I've dropped bikes in the past and will continue to do so if I don't feel safe. When attending any incident an eye is kept on the track for new issues, and we've certainly had them before. I've been first on scene of a few majors, and people would have been worse off if we had waited until the bikes were in the pits (bikes and rigs on top of riders etc). Also had incidents where racers have crashed in the very same spot we'd only just cleared less than a minute prior, arguably making it much safer for them - but racers are a very speshal bunch
    "Spirited debates..." I believe you may be right. But the bolded area? Surely you exaggerate? Or name the club/s.
    Over half a decade...sounds like a long time, doesn't it? But it's no longer (and possibly less) than I and others in the team round these parts have spent. Add in summer and winter series, then you have some seriously dedicated and experienced marshals. We DO go on the track while bikes are circulating, but it's almost unheard of UNLESS the red is out and OUT AT ALL POINTS.
    It's a murky area (safety of race officials, including trackside marshals) but each club has it's own 'rules' around the subject, how tight prolly depending on whether they've had a tragedy or how seriously they take the possibility of one. I certainly know that Vic and Pac do not expect their marshals to go on a live track, and it is the call of an individual marshal whether to do so if asked, and to radio in before deciding themselves that it is a good idea to go out.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Here it be Cuz!!!
    thats looks like a jaffa ride around the coro loop.

Thread Information